MMA & the Olympics

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it shouldn't.

All those beautiful sports, and than MMA.

I don't want to say that MMA is not a sport, but simply it's to bloody and violent for an event like Olimpic games.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. They could either do away with it and prohibit head shots (ala TKD) or allow it but restrict certain grapples.

Daniel

There's no head shots in amateur MMA.

It makes me laugh when people say MMA is too violent for the Olympics, look at the sports that are in there and their original uses ( watered down by the Olympics though), the Pentathlon is made up of discplines originally used for the military, there's archery, spear chucking, shooting etc etc thats without the martial arts ( remember the word martial's meaning?) Even dressage is military, the movements done by the horses was for use in battle'

Violent? Tried water polo?
Bloody? tried boxing?

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well it's violent. Two mostly tatooed guys who looks like just got out of prison beating each other. Just the right thing for most beautiful sport event on the planet.

Do you see archery shooting at the people? Spearin people? Yes dressage is military, moves to, but ain't there no people killing and beating each other with spears and archery.

Saying that others sport in Olimpic games are violent just because they was before, is ridicoulos.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's violent. Two mostly tatooed guys who looks like just got out of prison beating each other. Just the right thing for most beautiful sport event on the planet.

Do you see archery shooting at the people? Spearin people? Yes dressage is military, moves to, but ain't there no people killing and beating each other with spears and archery.

Saying that others sport in Olimpic games are violent just because they was before, is ridicoulos.

Talk about generalisations! There are far more people who have no tattoos, aren't always men and who have white collar carrers who do MMA than you seem to think. You are basing your idea of MMA on films or the gutter press I'm afraid. You clearly know little about MMA.

I rather like the idea however, it's very amusing, that I may be male, look like I come out of prison and am covered in tattoos!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well it's violent. Two mostly tattooed guys who looks like just got out of prison beating each other.
I have yet to see an MMA competitor that looks like Michael Milken or Martha Stewart, neither of whom were tattooed upon their release from prison and only one of whom qualifies as a guy. There are plenty of white collar criminals who get out of prison and do not fit the stereotype.

Just the right thing for most beautiful sporting event on the planet.
Political favor trading, misrepresentation of the age of the competitors, fixing of events, and decades of pretending that professional athletes were ameteurs. Yes, such beauty should not be marred by honest competition.

Do you see archers shooting at the people? Spearing people? Yes dressage is military, moves to, but ain't there no people killing and beating each other with spears and arrows.
No killing in MMA either. Neither the bow and arrow nor the javelin are effective bludgeoning weapons, so it would be silly if there was beating involved. Also, archery and javelin throwing have been conducted with still targets as long as the weapons have been in existence. You can demonstrate skill in the weapon without a living target. Its kind of hard to do that with MMA.

Saying that other sports in Olympic games are violent just because they were before, is ridiculous.
Please use spell check and proper grammar. It will enhance the quality of your posts and make you look less like you're trolling.:)

The Olympics have boxing, fencing, taekwondo, wrestling, and judo, so the idea that violent sports have no place in the Olympics is inaccurate.

Daniel

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
images

A 'typical tattooed male, ex con' MMA pro fighter aka Dr. Rosi Sexton.

I could come up with pages and pages of fighters, British, American, European and Asian who don't fit that stereotype.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
images

A 'typical tattooed male, ex con' MMA pro fighter aka Dr. Rosi Sexton.

I could come up with pages and pages of fighters, British, American, European and Asian who don't fit that stereotype.
Hey, 'he's' cute! And that womanly figure looks so real! Must be the clothes.

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, 'he's' cute! And that womanly figure looks so real! Must be the clothes.

Daniel

Well I chose Rosi because not only is she brainy she's a great fighter and a very nice person! She's fighting in Ireland on Saturday, have a read of her blog, she has great fitness, health and other fighting stuff advice on it, she's very approachable and has time for any aspiring fighter male or female. Rosi's not long qualified as an osteopath, another degree to her name!
http://rosisexton.wordpress.com/

Perhaps ForeverStudent might like to debate MMA with her?

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well than i must say sorry, but neither i feel guilty. MMA as i know it isn't MMA as you know it.

Here in Croatia news and television shows only top UFC events. Fighters i know are Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Mirko Cro Cop, Gabriel Gonzaga, Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez..

I don't know MMA any different than i saw in UFC top events.

And if you think that fights between fighters i mentioned aren't violent, then we are really think different.

And, sorry for bad grammar!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well than i must say sorry, but neither i feel guilty. MMA as i know it isn't MMA as you know it.

Here in Croatia news and television shows only top UFC events. Fighters i know are Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Mirko Cro Cop, Gabriel Gonzaga, Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez..

And if you think that fights between fighters i mentioned aren't violent, then we are really think different.

It's a shame that the UFC is all you see but I'm pretty sure there's grassroots MMA in Croatia, we've had fighters from there on shows in the UK. MMA is no more violent than boxing, full contact karate, K1 kickboxing even Judo at times. It's a skilful game of physical chess.

Please don't apologise for your grammar, it's far many than many peoples! In fact I didn't realise English wasn't your first language!

You have one of the best fighters in the world, Cro Cop who must surely go against your stereotype?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Actually, the grammar and spelling comment was for your benefit, not mine.:) If nobody points it out to you, you cannot correct it.

Sorry if I came across as a nit-picker; I tend to be a bit of a stickler for language and grammar, especially on the internet where spelling and grammar are frequently ignored by people for whom English is their first language.

Regarding what is seen in the UFC, were MMA to become a sanctioned sport in the Olympics, the rule set would most certainly differ. Look at other martial sports that have large organizations and which are not dependent upon the Olympics for exposure. All of them have different rule sets for the Olympics, generally conforming to amateur rules. Boxing is a good example. Headgear is mandated, and I am sure that there are other changes as well. You generally will not see fights that resemble pro boxing in the Olympics.

I really don't consider UFC fights to be any more or less violent than pro-boxing; they simply allow for a greater breadth of technique. The cage is a gimmick to make the athletes more of an underground street fighter image. Keep in mind that the UFC has kind of taken the place of the WCW and the old WWF, so a lot of effort goes into appealing to the same demographic that those orgs appealed to.

But then, Olympic MMA would most certainly differ from UFC MMA. For starters, I'd guarantee that the cage would be the very first thing to go. Tez has pointed out that in amateur MMA, there are no head shots. That would certainly carry over into the Olympics, which generally align themselves with amateur sports.

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say the cage was there for safety as much as anything, our promotion has a cage and a ring. The ring we don't use much now, when grappling it's easy to slide out and cause injury. The cage is also safer as there aren't ropes to get tangles in. It also offeres a better view for spectators.

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Maybe i look too much through stereotypes.

I runed into it to fast!

When i saw topic title first scene in my head was fighters ala Lesnar and Velasquez pounding each other to the mat, blood is all over them and all over the mat.

When i think better in some way it's pretty close to what olimpics were once upon a time, war game. Even a fight i described could fit into it.

After better look, MMA would fit pretty good in olympics.

Yes, Cro Cop is from Croatia, he was in Karate before he started MMA, but i don't know which style. He hold 1. Degree (don't hold me on this to much).

Another fighter from Croatia i know for, and which i really like, beacause his base is ITF Taekwondo, is Zelg Galesic.

He impress me with how he use Taekwondo fights. He hold 4. degree.

Do you know for him?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd say the cage was there for safety as much as anything, our promotion has a cage and a ring. The ring we don't use much now, when grappling it's easy to slide out and cause injury. The cage is also safer as there aren't ropes to get tangles in. It also offeres a better view for spectators.
Oh, I'm sure that they'll find some way to achieve the safety effect without the cage.

The IOC would bill it as Mixed Martial Arts, or MMA, and will try to highlight the varied training of the athletes. They will also want to distance themselves to the greatest degree possible from the term, 'cage fighting.'

I think that it would be interesting. One question though is who would the governing body be? Probably not the UFC.

Daniel

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The governing body would be who the Olympic panel deems has the most experience in sanctioning MMA events. And also enforcing what is legal & illegal in the contest.

Also I do think there would be a cage involved because of the safety, & the better view for spectators. Sadly I think the Nevada commissions that regulate boxing would still be over the judging. But its what we have until an mma panel comes along.

The Olympics weren't meant to originally be family friendly, & I do think that the elbows, & slamming would be taken out. The Olympics would want a more technical approach, than just the general view of MMA out there.

Of course if the Olympics ever get BJJ as one of the "games" I would definitely love to take part in a team. But I guess we'll see what history brings.

Latest Discussions