MMA is the fad right now I believe

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I happened across this sticky thread in the MMA section. It kind of contradicts what we are talking about here, but describes it more as a hybrid style with components picked from different arts or created to suit the area it is to work in. So is there possible two camps of thought on this?

What is MMA MartialTalk.Com - Friendly Martial Arts Forum Community

two camps at once. It is also a hybrid style.

Which make it a lot of information to process. So mma striking is different to boxing but theoretically you should still be able to do rounds with a boxer with the bigger gloves.

just your level drops a bit. So they are OK boxers but not great ones.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
two camps at once. It is also a hybrid style.

Which make it a lot of information to process. So mma striking is different to boxing but theoretically you should still be able to do rounds with a boxer with the bigger gloves.

just your level drops a bit. So they are OK boxers but not great ones.

Maybe one is Traditional MMA :angelic:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA is coached in various ways. There's no one 'right' way. Commercial gyms will have separate classes in stand up ( Muay Thai or kickboxing), grappling (usually BJJ) and often a traditional martial art or two plus a boxing class. They are likely to have fitness classes too, this, obviously, makes the money for the owners. Most would be MMA fighters find they have to train separate classes and then probably have private sessions to put it together, some gyms have 'all in 'MMA classes though but to be commercially viable this would probably be once or twice a week. Would be fighters will have to go through their separate classes learning everything in that style, not necessarily a bad thing though.

For established fighters the training regime is different, they aren't restricted to having to take classes, they have sessions throughout the day with coaches interspersed with strength and conditioning, stamina and fitness training. this is where fighters can pick and choose what techniques they find work and they can do. The established people can meld all their techniques into the whole while being coached by an expert MMA coach, they will learn ringcraft, listening to corners (!) and all things pertaining to fighting. This however is no different from any sport. The commercial sector which is where most people start is the same place where non MMA fighters go. Once you show talent things change.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe one is Traditional MMA :angelic:

it depends how complicated you want to get as to how right that is. We enter a grey area.

So I will just use mma sub wrestling and bjj. Now a mma guy could roll in bjj and not be doing bjj but still fall in the rule set. So say mma can be more explosive. Fight to be on top or standing and not use gi grips. Now you can do all of that in the bjj rule set if you want. But it isn't sort off bjj.

A grey area.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA is coached in various ways. There's no one 'right' way. Commercial gyms will have separate classes in stand up ( Muay Thai or kickboxing), grappling (usually BJJ) and often a traditional martial art or two plus a boxing class. They are likely to have fitness classes too, this, obviously, makes the money for the owners. Most would be MMA fighters find they have to train separate classes and then probably have private sessions to put it together, some gyms have 'all in 'MMA classes though but to be commercially viable this would probably be once or twice a week. Would be fighters will have to go through their separate classes learning everything in that style, not necessarily a bad thing though.

For established fighters the training regime is different, they aren't restricted to having to take classes, they have sessions throughout the day with coaches interspersed with strength and conditioning, stamina and fitness training. this is where fighters can pick and choose what techniques they find work and they can do. The established people can meld all their techniques into the whole while being coached by an expert MMA coach, they will learn ringcraft, listening to corners (!) and all things pertaining to fighting. This however is no different from any sport. The commercial sector which is where most people start is the same place where non MMA fighters go. Once you show talent things change.

Integrated as an example though still make their fighters do bjj. These are top pro fighters.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Integrated as an example though still make their fighters do bjj. These are top pro fighters.

They make their fighters do BJJ but I bet they don't make them do the beginners class do they? fighters don't stop doing BJJ or Muay Thai, boxing etc they just do it at a higher and more intense standard. I didn't say they stopped doing different styles I said they won't do it in the commercial once or twice a week classes with the paying public, they will be doing it among themselves with the BJJ coach.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They make their fighters do BJJ but I bet they don't make them do the beginners class do they? fighters don't stop doing BJJ or Muay Thai, boxing etc they just do it at a higher and more intense standard. I didn't say they stopped doing different styles I said they won't do it in the commercial once or twice a week classes with the paying public, they will be doing it among themselves with the BJJ coach.

i will ask how they break it up. We have one of them coming down for a sneaky training session next week.

But they do bjj. They don't do 6 days a week of mma. Which should make more sense.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what point are you making?

Dear me, it's the daily training of MMA fighters, did you not watch the video? You know, what we were talking about? how they train?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dear me, it's the daily training of MMA fighters, did you not watch the video? You know, what we were talking about? how they train?

So they just train mma? Or do they train individual systems?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh good grief. I know you don't read what I write or at least understand it but really?

Do they just train mma or do they train other systems? Simple question. Part of the topic.

Is there some other point you are making? Then make it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they just train mma or do they train other systems? Simple question. Part of the topic.

Is there some other point you are making? Then make it.

Ok as you aren't going to read my posts re how gyms work and how established fighters train and are determined to be confrontational I'll just pop you back on ignore because I really can't be bothered with your sparring debating style.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok as you aren't going to read my posts re how gyms work and how established fighters train and are determined to be confrontational I'll just pop you back on ignore because I really can't be bothered with your sparring debating style.

Obviously i have missed whatever point you are trying to explain here. Now you have wasted what? Three posts complaining .Where one post could have made your point understandable.

You are sparring here not me.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Obviously i have missed whatever point you are trying to explain here. Now you have wasted what? Three posts complaining .Where one post could have made your point understandable.

You are sparring here not me.
Oh God, now Tez is gonna accuse you of personally attacking her again.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, don't tell me yet another thread is going the way of a slag fest. Anywho, I don't personally care what MMA is supposed to consist of. You box, you grapple, you do whatever, it is all mixed to a personal flavour. Thus being MMA. Though I could be making that too simple. The boxing element not being so strong, then train that and let something else become the core. Still in my uneducated view it is all MMA. Frankly who cares if it ain't, we all have our own opinions. Why not keep the place nice and chilled. We take the piss out of each other and that is funny, personal attacks and trolling is boring. Oh well!