MMA For self defence explained.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe in your country, but not in the UK.

So if i gnp,ed a terrorist with a backpack bomb.

That would not be reasonable force in a seld defense situation?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this shift is very common. Its a matter of strategy.

Every mma fighter learns take down defense and all the rest. Some are just better at it than others. And because if how they train, the guys who can't do it well know it.

Agree, most people talk about Chuck Liddell as an example of how great stand up is (during his reign as champ). What allowed him to be such a great striker was being a collegiate wrestler and knowing "how" the takedown works and how it is initiated. He then could use his takedown defense to keep the fight standing where he preferred, or if taken down to be able to get back up because he understood positioning etc.

Even if self-defense is your focus, you need to know takedown defense and how to get back up quickly. Working almost 20 years in LE/Corrections and I can tell you that MANY "stand up" fighters with no grappling experience will still tie up and fall on the ground and then roll around until one happens to get into mount. Having that basic knowledge of 1) How to fall safely and not get hurt 2) Positional escapes and transitions 3) Getting back up to your feet.

Not to mention some of the dumb things I have seen "pure strikers" teach that would get them seriously hurt from someone with even a little bit of BJJ training. For example, I have seen them teaching if someone has them mounted, to use a heel palm to their chin and push their head back so they can't strike. For the pure TMA's, I have seen this taught as well using the vicious spearhand to the throat to do the same thing. Only problem is that one of the FIRST submissions that people learn is when they have mount is how to armbar someone who extends their hand like that.

Latest Discussions