MMA For self defence explained.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I said knife you a couple times in the stomach

Yeah but surely you would have the presence of mind to avoid that? Or aleast trap and grab, and pretty much screw the elbow, or break the hand. Getting caught cold is a little silly in my mind.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It happens same as stabbing a guy, shooting a guy as well, just because you never have seen it doesn't mean other's have not seen or lived it
I'm sure it happens. I just don't believe it happens often. Getting into bar fights, in particular, is a very easy thing to prevent.

The idea that anyone can get shot or stabbed is at least something that may happen randomly, even if the odds are extremely remote.

I may as well train for self defense against a bear attack as the chances of that happening to me are about the same.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess he didn't hit you with a bottle and keep grabbing more, for me after first bottle over the head next comes the knife to the stomach a couple of times ;)

Missed this post. Knife, no he would not get close. Simply because I would grab what was necessary.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sure it happens. I just don't believe it happens often. Getting into bar fights, in particular, is a very easy thing to prevent.

The idea that anyone can get shot or stabbed is at least something that may happen randomly, even if the odds are extremely remote.

I may as well train for self defense against a bear attack as the chances of that happening to me are about the same.
Well Steve that is the difference between us, I train as if someone wants to kill me, I guess different life experience we have

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah but surely you would have the presence of mind to avoid that? Or aleast trap and grab, and pretty much screw the elbow, or break the hand. Getting caught cold is a little silly in my mind.
You would be surprise how easy it is and fast a knife attack happens

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Missed this post. Knife, no he would not get close. Simply because I would grab what was necessary.
If he can hit you with a bottle sure can knife you after it doesnt take long to unsheathed one, I have one under my long sleeves and back near kidney less than a second to recall it. The best way a knife works is hidden

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he can hit you with a bottle sure can knife you after it doesnt take long to unsheathed one, I have one under my long sleeves and back near kidney less than a second to recall it. The best way a knife works is hidden

Yes of course, the trick is to think of concealment. He ain't getting there ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For self defence Ground and pound is fine provided you stay mobile and be quick about it. And it finishes fights more quickly than trading punches in a 50/50. legaly it has to be justified like any force.

Standing does not protect you from being glassed in the back of the head by someone's girlfriend. Moving protects you.

Considering something as a non effective strategy for self defence is pretty non specific and does not address all the risks vs reward you may get in a fight.

So for example if someone is armed and you get the guy with a punch. I can pretty much guarantee you will follow that guy to the ground or even China if it means not giving him any time to use the thing.
Ground and pound - putting someone down and continuing to beat them - that's a dicey position to try to claim self-defense. There's a real possibility that you transition from "victim" to "defendant" in that moment. And no, nothing prevents you from being glassed from behind. Being on the ground makes you a lot more vulnerable than standing, though.

I never said it wasn't an effective strategy. Just that it has weaknesses for self-defense that don't exist in competition. I'm not sure that's even debatable.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in a lot of bars in several different countries and I've never seen that happen. Sounds like make believe to me.
Definitely seems over-stated. The kicking thing is a reality in some situations. The beer bottle thing could happen, but I've yet to see it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess he didn't hit you with a bottle and keep grabbing more, for me after first bottle over the head next comes the knife to the stomach a couple of times ;)
If you do that in response to someone trying to take you down, you're going WAY too far. Probably facing a trial.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club of being attacked with a knife cheers:p

Exactly. Whether it is an ice tray, a barmans wipe rag, a coat, a cushion or whatever, the knife is easily nullified with precision movement. Even if that means moving out of range and calling for help. Some people think that is woosing out, some of us really could not care less :)

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ground and pound - putting someone down and continuing to beat them - that's a dicey position to try to claim self-defense. There's a real possibility that you transition from "victim" to "defendant" in that moment. And no, nothing prevents you from being glassed from behind. Being on the ground makes you a lot more vulnerable than standing, though.

I never said it wasn't an effective strategy. Just that it has weaknesses for self-defense that don't exist in competition. I'm not sure that's even debatable.

Of course it is defensible. because you just claim the umbrella of "self defence"

In some circumstances it is completely defencable in others not so much. There are circumstances of self defence.

You have a harder time glassing someone standing as you do on the ground? seriously forget about the dogma you have been told and think about that one.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you do that in response to someone trying to take you down, you're going WAY too far. Probably facing a trial.
Not necessarily, it really depends on the circumstances, a man who is a bodybuilder vs a crippled elderly man with a pace maker it may be justified self defense.
A lot of factors come into play, personally no matter what if you fight there is a chance of trial even no weapons, but we are talking about reality here, and your opponent may or may not intentionally try to kill you but you have no idea knowing that lots of people get killed by slams and weapons why risk it, for me I have to make it home don't care what I have to do to be able to do that. So about reality are you prepare to stab, bite hit a guy with a brick to get home because he might be.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not necessarily, it really depends on the circumstances, a man who is a bodybuilder vs a crippled elderly man with a pace maker it may be justified self defense.
A lot of factors come into play, personally no matter what if you fight there is a chance of trial even no weapons, but we are talking about reality here, and your opponent may or may not intentionally try to kill you but you have no idea knowing that lots of people get killed by slams and weapons why risk it, for me I have to make it home don't care what I have to do to be able to do that. So about reality are you prepare to stab, bite hit a guy with a brick to get home because he might be.

Are you a crippled elderly man?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course it is defensible. because you just claim the umbrella of "self defence"

In some circumstances it is completely defencable in others not so much. There are circumstances of self defence.

You have a harder time glassing someone standing as you do on the ground? seriously forget about the dogma you have been told and think about that one.
I don't know about the laws in other countries, but in the US "self-defense" doesn't create a blanket immunity. Response has to be proportional to the perceived threat. Taking someone to the ground and continuing to hit them once they are there can make the defender become the attacker in the eyes of the law.

And, yes, it is easier to avoid getting glassed while standing, simply because you can be more mobile, so you have a better chance of avoiding it if you notice it. It won't prevent someone from glassing you from behind, of course - there are no magic techniques for that. That said, I'm not sure there's a huge difference in exposure to glassing, since it would take more effort to glass someone at your feet than to simply kick them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, now you're trying to justify it. You referred to someone trying to take you down by the leg, and you stabbing them. Unless you are a crippled elderly man with a pacemaker, I'm not sure why you even mentioned him.

I'll readily stab someone if I need to, but not for trying to do a single-leg takedown in a bar, unless they are being VERY violent in a way that makes a higher threat clear. Your original statement took a takedown to a deadly response without any mitigating circumstances being present.

Latest Discussions