MMA For self defence explained.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this shift is very common. Its a matter of strategy.

Every mma fighter learns take down defense and all the rest. Some are just better at it than others. And because if how they train, the guys who can't do it well know it.
I'm not talking about takedown defense (that's pretty much a given in the current MMA context). I'm referring to what DB was pointing out in that video - actually avoiding going to the ground, which is not the strategy of all in MMA; some have going to the ground as their strategy (ground-n-pound). I don't consider that an effective SD strategy, as it both exposes the proponent to other attackers (girlfriends, etc.) and exposes them to legal issues. On the other hand, it's a proven, effective strategy for MMA competition, so no reason not to use it there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends what you are looking at a what you are looking for. I still think most people don't see what is actually happening in a MMA fight. Or see what they want to see.

Which is why I seem to have to consistently clarify what MMA fighters focus on.

See MMA for self defence explained.
I'm not sure what the point is in this post, Drop Bear. Can you point me in the right direction?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not talking about takedown defense (that's pretty much a given in the current MMA context). I'm referring to what DB was pointing out in that video - actually avoiding going to the ground, which is not the strategy of all in MMA; some have going to the ground as their strategy (ground-n-pound). I don't consider that an effective SD strategy, as it both exposes the proponent to other attackers (girlfriends, etc.) and exposes them to legal issues. On the other hand, it's a proven, effective strategy for MMA competition, so no reason not to use it there.
Everyone is training to take people down and avoid the takedown. Whether you do one or the other is strategy specific to the opponent.

Some fighters to into some fights planning to take that specific fight to the mat. Theyb do so because they think they're better there than the particular person they are fighting.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kind of scary to think that there are people out there that can kill you with their bare hands despite all your years of training.

What scares me more is some drunken a-hole running a red light, or some kid texting behind the wheel.

As for those that can kill me with their bare hands, not a bad way to go, actually. Then my friends could say "He died doing what he did best. Getting his **** kicked."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is training to take people down and avoid the takedown. Whether you do one or the other is strategy specific to the opponent.

Some fighters to into some fights planning to take that specific fight to the mat. Theyb do so because they think they're better there than the particular person they are fighting.
Precisely. And my position is that this isn't a good strategy for self-defense. Too many uncontrolled variables for that strategy. It's one of the contextual differences between MMA and self-defense. There's no penalty for going for groundwork in MMA if that's your strong suit (and moreso than your opponent).

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

For self defence Ground and pound is fine provided you stay mobile and be quick about it. And it finishes fights more quickly than trading punches in a 50/50. legaly it has to be justified like any force.

Standing does not protect you from being glassed in the back of the head by someone's girlfriend. Moving protects you.

Considering something as a non effective strategy for self defence is pretty non specific and does not address all the risks vs reward you may get in a fight.

So for example if someone is armed and you get the guy with a punch. I can pretty much guarantee you will follow that guy to the ground or even China if it means not giving him any time to use the thing.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the point is in this post, Drop Bear. Can you point me in the right direction?

Could you tell if a person on the ground is looking to stand up or submit someone?

or even what throw was being used in the video?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's my take guy tries to take down with leg my beer bottle smashes back of his head and me and my friends kick him real enough for you? Cause that is reality

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here's my take guy tries to take down with leg my beer bottle smashes back of his head and me and my friends kick him real enough for you? Cause that is reality
I've been in a lot of bars in several different countries and I've never seen that happen. Sounds like make believe to me.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah that is real enough, but when I got bottled, I was pretty pissed off. Put it this way, I got up, and his friends ran. That is my reality ;) Yeah though, bully tactics sometimes work against the uninitiated!

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am more than happy to bash dudes who glass people. Even if I am not previously involved in the fight.

Because it is one of the scummiest things you can do.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been in a lot of bars in several different countries and I've never seen that happen. Sounds like make believe to me.
It happens same as stabbing a guy, shooting a guy as well, just because you never have seen it doesn't mean other's have not seen or lived it

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am more than happy to bash dudes who glass people. Even if I am not previously involved in the fight.

Because it is one of the scummiest things you can do.

Yeah, can't get away with that in the UK though, as much as you would want to pound them though.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah that is real enough, but when I got bottled, I was pretty pissed off. Put it this way, I got up, and his friends ran. That is my reality ;) Yeah though, bully tactics sometimes work against the uninitiated!
Guess he didn't hit you with a bottle and keep grabbing more, for me after first bottle over the head next comes the knife to the stomach a couple of times ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess he didn't hit you with a bottle and keep grabbing more, for me after first bottle over the head next comes the knife to the stomach a couple of times ;)

Nah, figured the bottle would take me out. Many have tried, all have failed. So far ;)

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember once taking a brick to the head during a street fight left me punch drunk I guess a bottle to the head would do a similar thing

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

8othIOeSdrMgTtUZyaWSbptRqGeffmfQZfzuM0m8d6S2SIT7xkepdxbXiECtxRxB-ANhJfZUgXQNHRCKJCtB-xy2X2yPifM=w450-h327-nc

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember once taking a brick to the head during a street fight left me punch drunk I guess a bottle to the head would do a similar thing

Oh yeah, got a brick thrown at me as a kid. Hit me square on the temple. Yeah I saw stars for a moment. Thankfully that was just playtime. With the bottle, I knew it was coming, so just rode it out I guess. Still though, was not pleasant, but kind of pleasant all the same. Yeah ;)