MMA For self defence explained.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A little OT, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching blood gush out of Weidman's fat arrogant head.

Long time coming IMO.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How was that self defence explained? That was a video of a cage fight. It was good but I don't see how I don't see how it's self defence

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the common issues raised with using grappling in self defence?
The ones I hear most are "you'll never get ahold of his hands/arms/legs" and "you'll get punched to death while you're trying to take him down". Of course, the Gracies did a decent job of demonstrating in MMA that both of those aren't true long ago.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The ones I hear most are "you'll never get ahold of his hands/arms/legs" and "you'll get punched to death while you're trying to take him down". Of course, the Gracies did a decent job of demonstrating in MMA that both of those aren't true long ago.

Rolling around on lava and aids needles.

Vunerable to multiple oponants.

Not training to escape a situation.

And yet what we see here is fighting for stand up and escape. Bring mobile and striking rather than engaging in a submissions match. A much closer resemblance to a self defence situation than is generally claimed.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every so often I start thinking that I've developed a bit of skill and that my movement isn't too bad. Then I watch guys at that level and am reminded that, no, I really suck.

Fortunately I don't have plans to fight any world champions in the immediate future.

Kind of scary to think that there are people out there that can kill you with their bare hands despite all your years of training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolling around on lava and aids needles.

Vunerable to multiple oponants.

Not training to escape a situation.

And yet what we see here is fighting for stand up and escape. Bring mobile and striking rather than engaging in a submissions match. A much closer resemblance to a self defence situation than is generally claimed.
Ah! You're talking about the common objections to groundwork. For me, the term "grappling" includes standing work, too.

Yes, those are all common objections, and all are valid. And, as you've pointed out in the past, all can be overcome with a change in approach. That approach mostly fits with what is shown in this video. What we see in many MMA fights doesn't fit that same shift in approach.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of scary to think that there are people out there that can kill you with their bare hands despite all your years of training.
Not really. The chance of me pissing one of them off enough to do so is pretty slim.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah! You're talking about the common objections to groundwork. For me, the term "grappling" includes standing work, too.

Yes, those are all common objections, and all are valid. And, as you've pointed out in the past, all can be overcome with a change in approach. That approach mostly fits with what is shown in this video. What we see in many MMA fights doesn't fit that same shift in approach.
I think this shift is very common. Its a matter of strategy.

Every mma fighter learns take down defense and all the rest. Some are just better at it than others. And because if how they train, the guys who can't do it well know it.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Depends what you are looking at a what you are looking for. I still think most people don't see what is actually happening in a MMA fight. Or see what they want to see.

Which is why I seem to have to consistently clarify what MMA fighters focus on.

See MMA for self defence explained.

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this shift is very common. Its a matter of strategy.

Every mma fighter learns take down defense and all the rest. Some are just better at it than others. And because if how they train, the guys who can't do it well know it.

It is also this ground fighting to stand up as a kind of win. Just as part of training. Which is at its simplest is going into turtle rather than re guarding.

Which you will see a bit if rolling with punches.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

kind of scary bloody sparring them.

Latest Discussions