MMA fighter in court over one punch death.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have discussed the stupidity of fighting on the street. Here is yet another example, this time an MMA guy.

The stupidity here was that the guy hit and killed an innocent bystander. He has no defence for what he did, excuses maybe, but no justification.

Cookies must be enabled. The Australian

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how much his martial arts factors in

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Darnit Brian you said "Interesting Indeed." Now I have to think of other words.

I will call it "quite fascinating" :p I'm curious too.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I think will be interesting here is in the context of the thread don't tell them about you martial art background. We'll here he was just plain stupid. He had been drinking, he got suckered by a group of guys, he got into a scuffle, he obviously didn't know who was involved and who wasn't, he was telling everyone about his MA training and he hit the wrong guy. Because of the prevalence of these one punch deaths, our Parliaments have mandated severe penalties for this type of behaviour, so I expect this guy will be enjoying a long association with his new best friend, Bubba. I'll guess 18 years at least. A high price for lack of self control.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was not able to read the initial link but for the short hand of your description it looks like he will have a long time to contemplate in prison the stupidity of getting in a fight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The link doesn't work for me, either.
From your description, I'd say his training is irrelevant. There are two facts that are relevant.
1 - He hit an innocent bystander.
2 - They died.

With those two things being true, it doesn't matter if he hit them with an untrained fist, a trained fist, or a round out of a gun.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That link works. The pertinent facts seem to be the same.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am very curious how this plays out and I am surprised that the they did not take the plea deal for manslaughter. This does just go to show you how one incident can change your life forever. Engaging in physical violence when you have the opportunity to leave is simply and plainly just stupid!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am very curious how this plays out and I am surprised that the they did not take the plea deal for manslaughter. This does just go to show you how one incident can change your life forever. Engaging in physical violence when you have the opportunity to leave is simply and plainly just stupid!
It's also a good object lesson about public intoxication, drinking to excess, and not having people around you who will keep you out of trouble when you can't do that for yourself.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So some d-bag socks some kid in the face, kid gets knocked out, and his head cracked open and dies. D-bag who did it is now going to get jail time.

What's the point of this thread? We know that there are undesirable people that practice MA. We know that if you kill someone you can get jail time.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So Dirty Dog, are you disagreeing with what I said about what happened, or are you disagreeing with me saying that we already know that bad people take MA, and accidentally killing someone has potential consequences?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So Dirty Dog, are you disagreeing with what I said about what happened, or are you disagreeing with me saying that we already know that bad people take MA, and accidentally killing someone has potential consequences?

I'm disagreeing with the ridiculous notion that there's no point to discussing the case.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm disagreeing with the ridiculous notion that there's no point to discussing the case.

Well what makes the notion ridiculous? Is there something inherent about this story that we weren't aware of beforehand?

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well what makes the notion ridiculous? Is there something inherent about this story that we weren't aware of beforehand?
It's actually about self defence.It's about how far you can go in defending yourself, it's about awareness and it's about the consequences of unnecessary violence.

What has happened here is a tragedy for his family and the family of the victim. If he had been trained in self defence this may not have happened.

If it makes one testosterone fueled martial artist stop and think, then the exercise will have been worth while.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And a bit further than that. The guy used deadly force. Which in this instance was a single punch.

Which should let people know how quick things can escalate.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's actually about self defence.It's about how far you can go in defending yourself, it's about awareness and it's about the consequences of unnecessary violence.

What has happened here is a tragedy for his family and the family of the victim. If he had been trained in self defence this may not have happened.

If it makes one testosterone fueled martial artist stop and think, then thexercise will have been worth while.
Come on, Kman. The thread might become about those things, but so far, everyone's basically said the same thing hanzou said. You guys just don't like hanzou so it feels different. We have a testerosterone fueled martial artist... Aka a dbag, who engaged in unnecessary violence, someone was killed and there are consequences. Tragic consequences. As dirty dog said, he hit an innocent bystander who died. Two relevant facts.

Everyone seems to be on the same page. What more would you like to discuss?

BMhadoken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know all of nothing about Australian law but it seems highly strange to me that he wasn't just charged with manslaughter, given a reasonable person wouldn't expect death to be the outcome of a single punch.