MMA a style?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alas, that is not the case.

I dont belive racism covers "hate because", its Discrimination/predicuce on the basis of race, unless you do either of those on the basis of race, its not racism and you arent a racist.
There is no such thing as predicuce. I'm guessing you mean prejudice? In which case, that's having an opinion about someone based on some identity of theres (if I don't think people above 40 can use a computer, that's prejudice for instance). Hating someone, and all the negative thoughts about that person that go along with it, is prejudice.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it generalized? or were you basically taking a shot at me the whole time?
Take solace in the fact that you're not the only one. Only the most notorious on this forum.

I'm also on other forums, and there are a lot more people who share your viewpoints on those other sites. You'd fit in very well on r/MartialArts

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Alas, that is not the case.

I dont belive racism covers "hate because", its Discrimination/predicuce on the basis of race, unless you do either of those on the basis of race, its not racism and you arent a racist. But you can discriminate on muiltiple factors. (and also hate somone just because of their race or those other factors)

If they all happen to be asian, doesnt make it racist, maybe its a only asian gang that goes around victimising people? So people would be weary of asians on that criteria? Its a perfectly natural and sound reaction to being victimised, it might not be the best, but it can happen and is more likely to happen and be a reasonable reaction if Asians are a minority in your area. It probbly wont happen if asians are split 50/50 with what ever the other race is, but that might manifest into a generic mistrust of people because they are all around you.

Like, i dont think white people in white dominated areas become distrustful of white people if they are victimised by one, it manifests in the mesure of generic distrust. But if say asians are a minority and you are, it might manifest for them down to them being a foreign entity.

For the second point, no it isnt and you cant really make people not discriminate. And to be fair, you have to be stupid to put down a protected chracteristic as why you didnt hire somone, you dont have to give a reason. Just give a non asian the job is you are racist towards asians, or a male/female if you dislike either or. Innocent until proven guilty and the police force has to find a reason for it, you cant just call racism or sexism etc because you arent hired, or by happen stance only one race/sex is employed. *

Plus for the law where i am at, you can (within reason) not hire somone based on "protected chraracteristics". there is actually a protection, and thats largly down to it being inappriate to have them there. eg non catholics at a catholic school, males at a all female school, females at a all male school so fourth.

Agree with it or not, thats what i make of my readings of the explinations of the laws for where i live, i only included that for a intrest factor.

Addendum: This has accidentally been made semi more political than i intented. and its sort of rambely.

* for some reason re reading that i got reminded of a "thats so raven" episode where that was the topic, unless somone is stupid enough to say in explicty black and white "x didnt get the job because they are [insert protected characterstic]" and it be recorded, nothing is going to come of it more than likely.
As I said, I am picturing you as someone representing a business in front of a judge or an EEOC arbitrator saying, "I wasn't discriminating against them because they're Asian. I was discriminating against them because they all have accents, and they just happen to be Asian!"

To be clear, you don't have to overtly state that you are discriminating against a protected base to be successfully sued for same. In fact, I can't imagine it ever being so easy. it is usually a pattern that is demonstrated through actions, and actual intent has far less to do with it than perceived intent as demonstrated by the pattern of behavior. What I mean is, why you ACTUALLY discriminated against a protected base is way less important than whether or not you did. The why really doesn't matter. Usually, the defense is that it's just a coincidence. Why does company X have a workforce that is 50% caucasion, but 95% of the management positions are caucasian? Why does company Y only seem to promote men?

Regarding the exceptions to the rules, sure. In fact, a bunch of white dudes tried to sue Lin Manuel Miranda (or maybe the production company) for hiring only POC for the main roles in Hamilton. The suit was dismissed because expressions of art are considered exempt. So, for example, it would be legal for a movie production company to cast only white people in a MLK biopic, if that is the artistic vision for the film. Might not make much money... but that's a different thing altogether.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There is no such thing as predicuce. I'm guessing you mean prejudice? In which case, that's having an opinion about someone based on some identity of theres (if I don't think people above 40 can use a computer, that's prejudice for instance). Hating someone, and all the negative thoughts about that person that go along with it, is prejudice.
I have a well established prejudice against other peoples' children. That doesn't mean I hate everyone's children. It just means I hate them as a general rule, until they individually demonstrate to me that they are okay.

Fortunately for me, labor laws protect me from having to hire any of the brats.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Take solace in the fact that you're not the only one. Only the most notorious on this forum.

I'm also on other forums, and there are a lot more people who share your viewpoints on those other sites. You'd fit in very well on r/MartialArts
But... do you really think @drop bear... wait... let me think about how to phrase this.

If someone were to perform well in an MMA match using techniques that are identifiable as Wing Chun or Aikido or Budo Taijutsu... I mean, what do you think would happen? I'm seriously confused here. I have absolutely no idea what you're about.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a well established prejudice against other peoples' children. That doesn't mean I hate everyone's children. It just means I hate them as a general rule, until they individually demonstrate to me that they are okay.

Fortunately for me, labor laws protect me from having to hire any of the brats.

Careful, brother, you’re starting to sound like I think.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But... do you really think @drop bear... wait... let me think about how to phrase this.

If someone were to perform well in an MMA match using techniques that are identifiable as Wing Chun or Aikido or Budo Taijutsu... I mean, what do you think would happen? I'm seriously confused here. I have absolutely no idea what you're about.

50/50 shot that he'd say something along the lines of "it looks like Wing Chun, but it isn't, because it worked in the UFC and Wing Chun doesn't."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There is a lot of evidence that supports my views.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I know guys who can fight with non MMA sort of styles.

The difference is they have evidence. That their method has validity.

And I know guys who talk an incredible game who can't fight.

The karate Kata I showed in Kata vs shadow boxing is a mate of mine.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 39746

The funny thing is, i went through 2 spell checks for that. And the over 40 comment would be Ageism, if you soley think they cant do X because of age. (within reason obviously) Actually, now i think about it, ageism might be a tad bit stupid, or could be taken to those lengths. eg its technically ageist to treat a 10 year old diffrent to a 20 year old, you see the potetional issue there. And i wouldnt call it ageist to apply "old dogs cant learn new tricks" down to the deteroation of the mind in old age and not breaking life long habits or learning something completely foreign at like 90.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, i went through 2 spell checks for that. And the over 40 comment would be Ageism, if you soley think they cant do X because of age. (within reason obviously) Actually, now i think about it, ageism might be a tad bit stupid, or could be taken to those lengths. eg its technically ageist to treat a 10 year old diffrent to a 20 year old, you see the potetional issue there. And i wouldnt call it ageist to apply "old dogs cant learn new tricks" down to the deteroation of the mind in old age and not breaking life long habits or learning something completely foreign at like 90.
Yes, it's ageism. But also an example of prejudice. They don't have to be separate.

And I really hope you didn't run another spell check for this post. Not something I normally pay too much attention to..but if you did, you may need to switch spellcheckers.

D

Deleted member 39746

Yes, it's ageism. But also an example of prejudice. They don't have to be separate.

And I really hope you didn't run another spell check for this post. Not something I normally pay too much attention to..but if you did, you may need to switch spellcheckers.

See the way i have the ism's defined. (before it became the hip thing to call everything a ism) was discrimination or prejudice on the basis of that thing. If that thing wasnt why you did something then you arent that ism. The coincince sort of view just leads to the stance everything is a ism until it isnt. so if i punched a african, it was because they were brown as opposed to anything else. Rather than maybe there was a verbal argument before that, or it was defensive action.

It just wont ever be racist in my eyes if there is a asian exclusive gang i your area, to then be dubious of groups of asians. Or if they have a habit of targeting your race, to keep more of a eye on asians. I think i ramabled about how if they are the second biggest race in your area it probbly changes how you percive things/can get bad mental imprints. And to be fair, i think most people who do self defence normally preach about you doing what ever defensive action you feel is right, irrespective of the public opinion of you and in relation to your situation. eg if people think its weird that you fence everyone to keep a meters distance, do it irrespective of people thinking you are a weirdo.

anyway i might dip this topic, i think i have eleborated it enough, and its dipping into derailing.

Latest Discussions