MMA a style?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am confused as to what MMA is. Is it a style a method of training or both?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am confused as to what MMA is. Is it a style a method of training or both?
I think mostly, it's a sport in the same way TKD is a sport, or boxing, judo, wrestling, sambo, muay thai, savate, or sumo are all sports.

So, in the same way these sports define the style, MMA is also a style. It just happens to be a sport/style that aggregate other styles. The rule set is expansive enough to allow people with various backgrounds to compete successfully.

And like most sports, there is a culture that values practicality and measurable performance.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA is a training method. In the following clip, those guys have no boxing, no MT, no TKD training. Their striking art training all come from the long fist system. They can still punch like boxers and kick like MT or TKD guys.

By adding the ground skill, you won't be able to tell whether those guys are TMA guys or MMA guys.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If a person with zero previous training walks into a judo school, learns some judo, and then competes in a Judo tournament, are they learning a style, a training method, or a sport? I would say it's all three. How is MMA different?

Would it be less of a sport, a style, or a training method if the person who came in had previously trained in BJJ or some other complimentary style?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MMA can refer to
1) A type of sportive martial arts competition typically featuring full-contact, one-on-one unarmed combat with a relatively unrestrictive ruleset allowing strikes, clinching, takedowns, ground-fighting, and submissions. I don't say "a" ruleset because there are variations in the specific rules depending on the promotion, the country, the time period, etc.

2) The sort of training which have turned out to be effective in preparing for MMA competition. This is not set in stone and there are variations from gym to gym and fighter to fighter, but competitive necessity has caused fighters to converge on a fairly consistent set of training methods which include physical conditioning, pad work, heavy bag work, drilling the individual component arts in a competitors foundation (boxing, muay thai, wrestling BJJ, etc), drilling the techniques of different arts in combination (ex - using a wrestling shot to set up an overhand right), and sparring in various forms (boxing only, kicking and punching only, grappling only, strikes and grappling, groundwork only, etc.

3) The fighting methods which have turned out to be effective in MMA competition. Once again, this is definitely not set in stone. Techniques and tactics are constantly evolving and there is substantial variation from fighter to fighter. One fighter might employ a bladed stance, constant movement, and lots of kicking. Another might use a squared up stance and use his punches as a setup for takedowns. Still, competitive necessity has caused substantial convergence of methods. Any competent MMA fighter should be able to effectively use punches, kicks, knees, and elbows. They should be able to use the clinch both to defend and setup strikes and takedowns. They should be able to strike and grapple effectively on the ground. They should know how to escape to their feet if they are on the ground in a bad situation. If they are on the ground in an advantageous situation, they should know how to prevent their opponent from escaping. They should be able to flow back and forth seamlessly between striking and grappling both on the feet and on the ground. Even if you look at fighters who have different "styles" in the cage, you can see that they have skillsets that overlap considerably. Wonderboy Thompson might use karate as his primary fighting base, but he is very competent in wrestling and jiujitsu. Daniel Cormier might have wrestling as his primary fighting base, but he is very skilled at punching and kicking.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are MMA gyms. There's young people who go to them without any previous training. If they go there and work hard for years they now have some Martial skill.

If somebody asks them what style they took, I think it would be appropriate for them to answer MMA.

OP
G

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How do you define style?
Really, after reading the responses, I started asking myself that same question. I can't honestly say if any are or aren't.

For the original question, I was wondering what its practitioners thought.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you define style?
- A primary style is where you use to build up a strong foundation.
- A cross training style is where you pick up missing elements that don't exist in your primary style.

For example,

The long fist system can help you to

- align your back shoulder, front shoulder, from arm into a perfect line.
- develop a kick that you can hold in the air for a short period of time.

Do MMA guys train these? I don't think so.

Tantui-1st-road.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The same way you define a table. If you can point to a table. It is a table.

It is a lot less esoteric question than it makes it self out to be.
I didn't mean it as an esoteric question, although I figured someone would take it that way. I figured if graywalker could define style, he could see if MMA fits inside that description.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are MMA gyms. There's young people who go to them without any previous training. If they go there and work hard for years they now have some Martial skill.

If somebody asks them what style they took, I think it would be appropriate for them to answer MMA.
Agree. Most all styles have been influenced by different inputs over the years. MMA is just more overt about it and uses actually promotes it as a benefit to that 'style' of training. MMA is or will soon be just another acronym like TKD, JKD, TMA, CMA, etc....
I wonder if anyone will ever go around claiming to be an MMA 'Master' though. It is all in the intent of the word.

OP
G

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you look it up in the dictionary, strangely there's a picture of me there......
Unfortunetly, individual definitions, kill the dictionary.

It would appear, to be whatever the individual wants it to be.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you define style?
I prefer the term “methodology” but style works too.

In my opinion it is the training and instruction methods that are key to a style. Techniques overlap among many different styles, so they rarely define what a style is. But how the training is approached, how the foundation is built and how the fundamentals are developed is what can define a style.

When it comes to actual fighting, many styles can look very similar. So a style isn’t about looking a certain way when fighting. White Crane kung fu is not about standing on one leg and striking with the fingertips of the “Crane beak”. Tiger kung fu is not about always using clawing techniques. It lies in how the training is done, and how the foundation and fundamentals are applied when in combat.

Latest Discussions