Mixing WC w/another MA?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's mostly a matter of modification. One of the fun parts of Wing Chun is they not only allow, but encourage adapting the style for the one doing it. Judo is also one of the main roots of BJJ, so they shouldn't be too dissimilar. Also, the Judo clinch can be modified slightly by putting one foot forward. You are know basicly in Man Sao Wu Sao.

And how do you know that some of the techniques aren't intended as grappling moves? There are some techniques that I cann't see being even remotely effective as strikely/blocking techniques, but are devestating as grappling moves.
Just through numerous instructors I have spoken to on the subject. Ip Chun, Kevin Chan, Alan Orr, James Sinclair etc have all said previously that wing chun is not a grappling art. Certainly you can get out of a clinch using wing chun, but you should not be proactively looking to enter a grapple with an opponent.

It is like fighting a BJJ guy keeping your feet - he shouldn't then be relying on BJJ to close you down. If you watch the modern UFC guys they won't try the same trick again and agin. If something doesn't work, switch to something else (or another art). If you are fighting a boxer and he is outboxing you, don't box him!!!!

The gym that I train at - Budokwai in london is full of extremely good Judo men and women and they actually suggested using BJJ rather than Judo.

If I am perfectly honest I was loking at many other grappling arts because my Sifu Kevin Chan does BJJ and I didn't want to copy him.

But after looking around I found that BJJ was the best option as a realistic merge with wing chun. I think a lot of people hesitate around BJJ because of the whole claim that BJJ is the best etc. But to be honest I think it certainly is one of the best

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just through numerous instructors I have spoken to on the subject. Ip Chun, Kevin Chan, Alan Orr, James Sinclair etc have all said previously that wing chun is not a grappling art. Certainly you can get out of a clinch using wing chun, but you should not be proactively looking to enter a grapple with an opponent.

It is like fighting a BJJ guy keeping your feet - he shouldn't then be relying on BJJ to close you down. If you watch the modern UFC guys they won't try the same trick again and agin. If something doesn't work, switch to something else (or another art). If you are fighting a boxer and he is outboxing you, don't box him!!!!

I never said that Wing Chun was a grappling art. I said it has movements that can be applied to grappling.

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
mixing styles can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing. You must remember every school you train in expects that you learn its methods, without question. What you do on your own time is your business.

I believe many arts are good to mix with. BJJ is another art, Boxing or Thai boxing is also a good art to mix with.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
mixing styles can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing. You must remember every school you train in expects that you learn its methods, without question. What you do on your own time is your business.

I believe many arts are good to mix with. BJJ is another art, Boxing or Thai boxing is also a good art to mix with.

those are effective arts and I would have to agree on those as well. As much as I'm about not mixing arts...I would say if you're going to do it, those would be the ones to choose from.

Latest Discussions