Mixing WC and other styles?

Likewise. I think that the debating often times helps the participants and others to think about what's most important in their training. So it's good even if people don't "agree".

I know what you're saying with the entry. As oftentimes in the use of WC my goal is to completely immobilize the arms of the other guy so that I hail down god's fury on his head.

But yep...in theory...lot's of stuff works. In application...sometimes not so much.

In theory, everything should work. If not, mentally you're setting yourself up for failure.

The application part really has to do with the practitioner and how attune they are to their environment, their ability to remain relaxed and how fast their problem solving portion of the brain is. If you're good with logic, If/then equating, it really becomes a game of answering requests that the opponent is giving out.

Not only that...but also being the proper condition to respond appropriately.

Not only that...but also being the proper condition to respond appropriately.

To me, the proper condition is remaining relaxed. Being relaxed allows for focus and agility to take effect.

To me, the proper condition is remaining relaxed. Being relaxed allows for focus and agility to take effect.

Absolutely, that's part of it; but relaxation comes naturally with repitition of the activity--both mentally through familiarity and more efficient synaptic activity, and physically through muscle memory.

At first when someone fights, no matter how many drills they've done up to that point, things are chaotic, the mind is running in fast forward, the body is fueled by adrenaline and cortisol, the hands shake, and techniques all of a sudden aren't as crisp as they once were.

Over time, with further pressure testing, those things will reduce in severity, things settle down in the mind even though the external world is just as chaotic as it was the first time. All of sudden, everything is moving in slow motion, the body moves as it's been trained now, and that person is now in the eye of the storm instead of in the skirts of it.

Absolutely, that's part of it; but relaxation comes naturally with repitition of the activity--both mentally through familiarity and more efficient synaptic activity, and physically through muscle memory.

At first when someone fights, no matter how many drills they've done up to that point, things are chaotic, the mind is running in fast forward, the body is fueled by adrenaline and cortisol, the hands shake, and techniques all of a sudden aren't as crisp as they once were.

Over time, with further pressure testing, those things will reduce in severity, things settle down in the mind even though the external world is just as chaotic as it was the first time. All of sudden, everything is moving in slow motion, the body moves as it's been trained now, and that person is now in the eye of the storm instead of in the skirts of it.

lol, perfect description. Non of my "non-fighter" buddies believe that time actually slows down and you're presented with options and paths that will determine the outcome.

Great post!! :bow:

I just read that entire thread. Those are all just a bunch of opinions from two sides constantly nit picking what each other said.

Most of them had valid points even if they bickered a ton. Lots of ego goin around that thread.

I just read that entire thread. Those are all just a bunch of opinions from two sides constantly nit picking what each other said.

Most of them had valid points even if they bickered a ton. Lots of ego goin around that thread.

How very strange! I would have never geussed such a thing could happen on a forum!

How very strange! I would have never geussed such a thing could happen on a forum!

I'm quite as shocked as you are! what! a whole bunch of opinions, well I never.

Yes, nothing was factual and it was a waste of time to read the entire thing. That was my point.

I guess I was hoping to see numbers or something that made sense. Not, "I think this" or "I think that"...because that's what we already have going on in this thread.

It's funny though, the same nit pickers nit picked my post. Oh well, gotta love the net

I believe in taking what is useful to you personally. For me that is a mixing of Chinese and Filipino arts and a little BJJ thrown in in case i end up on the ground. There is no right or wrong ...only what feels right to you individually.

Latest Discussions

Back