Mixing arts - is this wrong?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not true at all I hijack threads frequently, though I try to return them to their rightful owners as quickly as possible. :D

At the same time, you don't accuse people of hijacking a thread as a defense tactic when you are in a discussion and have no more facts at your disposal. Threads go off topic all the time. I personally don't really care if it does.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess "hijacking a thread" is something only Kong Soo Do can do. The old, "Do as I say, not as I do" thing.

You must have missed my post where I suggested that the thread be split if the OP wished to keep on topic.

Your offense is showing again.

At the same time, you don't accuse people of hijacking a thread as a defense tactic when you are in a discussion and have no more facts at your disposal.

Rather than ping-ponging back and forth over three threads, I suggested taking it to pm, email or start a thread. You chose to start a thread and I quickly joined you there with 'facts that were at my disposal'.

Oh, so there are rules then, in a self defense situation. I thought you said that there are no rules, remember?

Your twisting my comments...again. Let me try yet again to break it down for you; in an SD situation, the attacker isn't bound by a set of rules you may have been trained to abide by in your training. You (as in the 'good guy'), are bound by state statutes as to when and how you apply force. That force could be anywhere from a push to deadly force. It is wise for a student to know what the law states and how to react appropriately within the scope of the law.

Would you not agree?

As for your incident, I'm glad that you were not injured and that it worked out fine for you. As I've mentioned, I do not agree with what your instructor told you afterwards. That isn't disrespect to him, or you. That is my position and you don't have to agree with it.

With respect.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add this specifically as a way to take it down a notch. I'm very glad that Punnui safetly handled this situation and that no one was seriously hurt. I think there are lessons to be learned on both sides of this current thread drift, at least a lot for the thoughtful person to consider.

I appreciate Punnui detailing this account as we can all glean something from it.

:)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all have our beliefs, personal and as given to us by teachers and fellow students. One of the first things I learned as a MA philosophy was to avoid fights. Still good advice.

As a Hapkidoist I kept that mindset. Still, I never forgot that the goal in a threat/fight situation, is to survive. If an opponent is hurt, it is his due for forcing me to defend myself in the first place. I won't hurt to feel good about it, but I won't fail to hurt or injure an attacker to my detriment.

I don't know what Puunui's motive was for sharing his experience. It rather seems to be that we shouldn't injure attackers. As I said, I won't do it just for the sake of doing it, but I sure won't feel bad if it happens to an attacker while I am defending myself.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I always end a use-of-force report is, "he took away all of my non-force options and forced me to use force against him to regain control".

And as I've mentioned previously, the force used should only be that which is necessary to regain control of the situation (be it by escape, physical control or defeating the threat). But it is important to note that MINIMAL force may not be MINIMUM force!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I always end a use-of-force report is, "he took away all of my non-force options and forced me to use force against him to regain control".

And as I've mentioned previously, the force used should only be that which is necessary to regain control of the situation (be it by escape, physical control or defeating the threat). But it is important to note that MINIMAL force may not be MINIMUM force!

Many years ago we used to call it necessary force.

luckiest

White Belt
Reaction score
OP if you are still around, how do you find training in hapkido and tae kwon do? It is something I am considering. I currently do tae kwon do and hapkido is an option. Which one did you do first and for how long? Did you think you had difficulty with the techniques because of it?

Latest Discussions