Mixing arts - is this wrong?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it.
There is nothing wrong with taking jujutsu techniques and putting them into HKD, as HKD is a Korean form of JJ.

Hmmmm ... not exactly. Chili has hamburger in it, but Chili is NOT a hamburger. In this same way, Japanese JJ IS a major ingredient in HKD — but it isn't accurate to say that HKD is a Korean form of JJ.

It has all the throws, locks, chokes, etc of JJ with the lovely and powerful kicks of TKD.

(my bold)

Backwards (unless you mean just front, side and round). MOST of the "lovely and powerful kicks of TKD" came from hapkido. Spinning heel kicks, front straight leg heel kicks, flying kicks — all that stuff came from hapkido.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... not exactly. Chili has hamburger in it, but Chili is NOT a hamburger. In this same way, Japanese JJ IS a major ingredient in HKD — but it isn't accurate to say that HKD is a Korean form of JJ.

Okay, a better way to put it. When I look at HKD and DRAJ, though, the only thing that is different is the lack of kicks in teh DRAJ.

(my bold)

Backwards (unless you mean just front, side and round). MOST of the "lovely and powerful kicks of TKD" came from hapkido. Spinning heel kicks, front straight leg heel kicks, flying kicks — all that stuff came from hapkido.

Makes sense as there really aren't too many flashy kicks in Shotokan.

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You can put anything in what my instuctor calls your "TOOLBOX" to make you a better MAist but I agree that some things you should not add and call it HKD. I share some things I learn in Kenpo to my TKD class mates and we practice it but we do not call it a TKD tech.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have aded to my TKD some moves from aikido and a few from judo and now I am learning Kenpo Karate and definetively want to ad Kenpo to my TKD.

Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, if I didn't know better, I'd say that you subconsciously want to take up hapkido.:)

Daniel

You bet!!! sadly my friend there is no HKD dojang in my city. I think HKD will be very nice for a TKD guy, you know same country of origin and in some cases vocabulary and concepts, I thionk both MA complement each other also.

In my city we have several TKD dojnags, some karate dojos, a couple aikido dojos and maybe a couple of judo dojos and if I recal some Kung Fu schools too and just one Krav Maga training center.

Manny

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course their is no problem in this situation. Your creating opportunities to round off your skills and will improve the effectiveness of your Hapkido as a result. Attacks can happen at different ranges and directions, by studying additional techniques you can be further prepared for it.
Agreed.
One of the benefits from MA is that you have less of a chance of getting your *** kicked out in the real world. Having a primary art is IMO essential because it teaches the overall discipline of MA (whatever style/art).
Throughout my life my MA is definitely a mix. Learning from whomever I can (from actual belt holders ranging from green up to 2-3 blacks), in informal situations. My base is definitely Wing Chun which has it's uses applicable to the art. Long range weapons/techniques come from TKD, Muay Tai and others. Ground fighting has been Jujitsu and common wrestling techniques.
Essentially my MA is JKDI. And it has helped me on more than one occasion.
When you're in your base art dojo then study on that art, if your belt ranking is enough to allow for experimentation and throwing in a bit of this or a bit of that... like others I don't see a problem with it.
There are numerous topics about "cross training" here on MT. A simple use of the search engine will lead you to these threads. It'll make for interesting reading.
:asian:

Sambone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with mixing the different styles. In my Hapkido class we learn the basic Taekwondo kicks, but of course keep in mind that I am not going to try and kick someone in the head in a street fight...take them out at the knees. Anyway, In my Taekwondo class we learn Judo, Taekwondo, and Hapkido. In my Judo class we learn Jujitsu, and in my Hapkido class well we learn all sorts of stuff. I have always been taught that Hapkido is a sport that is to train a person to defend yourself. The only rule I have ever been taught is there are no rules in this Martial Art.

So in my opinion I would say go for it!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with mixing the different styles. In my Hapkido class we learn the basic Taekwondo kicks, but of course keep in mind that I am not going to try and kick someone in the head in a street fight...take them out at the knees.

As stated above, the kicks in Hapkido are different from the kicks in Taekwondo, and if anything, Taekwondo adopted many kicks from Hapkido. Also, I learned that we do not "take them out at the knees" in Hapkido or otherwise do anything that would permanently injure someone.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Way back in February 2010 when I first posted in this thread I was restraining myself from posting something and I had successfully stopped myself from doing it…but then…. Someone resurrected this thing and….. just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in

Now I can no longer restrain myself and I MUST post as I first wanted to

Mixing arts…isn’t that cute…BUT ITS WRONG!!!!!!! :D

But seriously as I said the first time...

Is it wrong? No

Is it confusing? Maybe

There… I feel better now :asian: :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did not think that it was, but I wanted to clarify just to be sure where you were coming from.

Having said that, the practitioner may mix freely, though within the context of a class, the student should try to execute the techniques as they are taught. Outside of class in a real SD scenario or MMA competition, anything goes so long as it works for you.

There is no right or wrong in this regard.

Daniel

That was one of the first of many surprises I got in Hapkido. I had studied TKD many years before, and expected to be taught rigid techniques. I was quickly corrected by the teacher I had, that although there was a reason for teaching things a certain way; it worked for most people. If I had to vary something a little differently, and it worked best for me, that was the way to do it. But in general, the way taught was best.

PooterMan

White Belt
Reaction score
Eagle Academy in Chicago area teaches Tang Soo Do and Hapkido simultaneously. I would think that would be same as TKD and Hapkido. Students test in each art separately, but during class they will switch back and forth between the arts. My instructor here is TSD only. So we can only pick up the Hapkido we see at regional events. I wish we could get a Hapkido instructor to move here from Chicago and join our TSD class to add to our repertoire (and yes, I had to look up the spelling for that)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given Hapkido's origins it would be pretty silly to take a position and say that "mixing arts is wrong."

Excellent statement.

It would be pretty difficult (read impossible) to find a truly 'pure' art that has had no outside influences and has been passed down exactly as developed.

The highest compliment a student can pay to his/her instructor is to exceed their level of knowledge.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It would be pretty difficult (read impossible) to find a truly 'pure' art that has had no outside influences and has been passed down exactly as developed.
Purity is overrated anyway. For the most part, the idea of a pure MA is used as either a marketing tool to appeal to the traditionalist or used for nationalistic reasons.

Essentially, unless your MA was developed in a village where the only fights were with people in the village, you won't have an art that is 'pure.'

Daniel

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Purity is overrated anyway. For the most part, the idea of a pure MA is used as either a marketing tool to appeal to the traditionalist or used for nationalistic reasons.

Essentially, unless your MA was developed in a village where the only fights were with people in the village, you won't have an art that is 'pure.'

Daniel

LOL, and that assuming the person person developing the MA never saw anyone else fight.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Daniel

I double dare you to cross post this in the Koryu Arts forum. :angel:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I double dare you to cross post this in the Koryu Arts forum. :angel:
Tempting!

But those who practice a Koryu art would probably agree; much of what makes a Koryu art special is the preservation of tradition. Many who practice Koryu arts do so as much for cultural immersion as they do for technical proficiency.

Daniel

Last edited:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tempting!

But those who practice a Koryo art would probably agree; much of what makes a Koryo art special is the preservation of tradition. Many who practice Koryo arts do so as much for cultural immersion as they do for technical proficiency.

Daniel

Bruno and Chris Parker are indeed reasonable about the realities of Koryu systems. Thankfully MT seems to be free for the most part of the samurai wannabes.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just realized I had misspelled Koryu, calling it Koryo by accident. Fixed it in my post, but it remains preserved in your quote.:)

Daniel

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As in all things in life....it depends.

I just have two rules:

1) State where the information came from if it is not really in your style/system.
2) Don't resort to the MSU rulebook when trying to add things. For those not familiar with the MSU rulebook, it means "make stuff up".

For example, several people mentioned adding kenpo to their TKD. That's great, but be honest where it came from. Don't take a kenpo technique and turn around and say that it is hidden within the forms or was only taught to a select few. (NOT saying this in regards to anyone in the thread, just an example, of something I have heard people say).

As for post #2, I see the trend now taking a position from a kata and then making up an application to fit a current trend and saying that it was a lost application only recently rediscovered in the kata. For example, I have seen people use the crossover step from Naihanchi and the one legged stance from Chinto katas and tell people that it is really a triangle choke from judo/BJJ and that all of the katas are meant to be applied on the ground and all of the techniques in grappling are hidden. If your school doesn't have ground grappling or groundfighting and you want to add something, fine, but be honest what you added and not lie about it, or MSU.

For me, I have enough on my plate with my style and exploration that I don't have time to fiddle around with other things. The amount of information is staggering and anything else would just be a distraction. I always think of the quote "jack of all trade, ace of nothing".