Michael Page

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh nothing at all, it's just all random accidents and the judges chose a winner on whose shorts they like the best. :cool:
I'm totally lost. how does knowing who the winner is change the physics of 2 objects moving forward and colliding?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm totally lost. how does knowing who the winner is change the physics of 2 objects moving forward and colliding?

So to you the fighters are nothing more that two 'objects' who randomly bump into each other? it's a fight, the better fighter wins, that's the point. You are chuntering on about physics, leaning forward, this does that, that does this. Dropbear pointed out that it's about the best fighter winning. You don't have to analyse everything down to it's atoms then explain to us numpties how it all works because it's 'physics'.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are chuntering on about physics, leaning forward, this does that, that does this.
Sorry if it bugs you, but that how I look at techniques and understand why they work the way they do, as well as make them efficient. When I look at techniques, it doesn't matter who won or who is the best, because for me it's about understanding why it worked the way that it did. Which is why I said that I'll be using this video to lecture students (referring to student at my school) about the dangers of over extending on punches. In addition it also shows the effectiveness of the knee, which is significant because the students drill that same knee strike technique at school.

The only reason I explained any of it because Dropbear asked me if didn't think he just got caught by the better fighter. And to me I don't look at fight techniques to see who is the better fighter or who won. I look at them to see why the technique works, and what makes it effective. Which is why I don't think it's about "he just got caught by the better fighter." The perspective that I'm looking at it is not the same as how Dropbear is looking at it.

As the fight instructor at the school all I do is analyze techniques.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if it bugs you, but that how I look at techniques and understand why they work the way they do, as well as make them efficient. When I look at techniques, it doesn't matter who won or who is the best, because for me it's about understanding why it worked the way that it did. Which is why I said that I'll be using this video to lecture students (referring to student at my school) about the dangers of over extending on punches. In addition it also shows the effectiveness of the knee, which is significant because the students drill that same knee strike technique at school.

The only reason I explained any of it because Dropbear asked me if didn't think he just got caught by the better fighter. And to me I don't look at fight techniques to see who is the better fighter or who won. I look at them to see why the technique works, and what makes it effective. Which is why I don't think it's about "he just got caught by the better fighter." The perspective that I'm looking at it is not the same as how Dropbear is looking at it.

I agree with you about that fight cyborg got caught because he over committed on the punch even the commentators said that if he threw a punch without leaning in he wouldn't have got caught by that knee his forward momentum combine with the power of the knee is what put him down.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you think we don't understand techniques or fighting? Do you not think your comments are actually teaching your grandmother to suck eggs? Just because we don't go into stream of commenting on it do you think we don't understand what went on? It doesn't 'bug' me, it makes me feel you totally underestimate our understanding of our sport. If you'd said that you would use the video to teach your students we would have understood, we didn't need the lecture. Would you talk that way to other instructors in person?

I agree with you about that fight cyborg got caught because he over committed on the punch even the commentators said that if he threw a punch without leaning in he wouldn't have got caught by that knee his forward momentum combine with the power of the knee is what put him down.

Yes, we know. Do we need to be instructed on the mechanics of it all? No, is the answer to that. Are we going to be lectured on how to punch, kick or enter the cage next?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think we don't understand techniques or fighting? Do you not think your comments are actually teaching your grandmother to suck eggs? Just because we don't go into stream of commenting on it do you think we don't understand what went on? It doesn't 'bug' me, it makes me feel you totally underestimate our understanding of our sport. If you'd said that you would use the video to teach your students we would have understood, we didn't need the lecture. Would you talk that way to other instructors in person?

Yes, we know. Do we need to be instructed on the mechanics of it all? No, is the answer to that. Are we going to be lectured on how to punch, kick or enter the cage next?
Not everyone on MT has the same level of knowledge. There are beginners here as well.

Yes I do talk to other instructors (in person) the same way. Explaining does 2 things: It provides information and it shows my level of understanding. If I get something wrong in how I understand the subject matter then I can be corrected.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everyone on MT has the same level of knowledge. There are beginners here as well.

Yes I do talk to other instructors (in person) the same way. Explaining does 2 things: It provides information and it shows my level of understanding. If I get something wrong in how I understand the subject matter then I can be corrected.

So why do you only 'explain' things after I post, plus you quote my posts when you do so.

A student does a technique and you will explain it to another instructor to show that you understand the technique, that I'm afraid, is showing off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what does being a better fighter have to do with anything. 2 objects moving forward and crashing into each other is always going to have a bigger impact than 1 object crashing into a stationary object.

Over thrown punches and leaning forward causes excess forward movement.

Not really. If you are the better fighter then you catch the guy and knock him out. And he does not hit you with a flying knee.

If he is the better fighter then he counters your right hand and you have a bad day.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

This is why you should throw punches without forward momentum. Because you can be countered when you do.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So why do you only 'explain' things after I post, plus you quote my posts when you do so.
I don't only do it after you post. If I think someone misunderstands what I'm trying to say then I'll try to add clarity to it. You aren't the only person that I quote on MT.

A student does a technique and you will explain it to another instructor to show that you understand the technique, that I'm afraid, is showing off.
When I teach. I first explain to the student and after a few months I ask the student to explain the technique to me. The reason I want the student to explain to me is because I want to see if he or she remembers what was told to them and I want to see if they have gained a deeper understanding a technique as result of practicing it. Their explanation also helps me to identify any confusion or misunderstanding that they have about the technique.

When I do a technique in application I explain it to the other instructor, the other instructor listens to me and points out any flaws that may exist due to my understanding of a technique. He does the same to me when he thinks he has discovered a different application for a technique, he explains it to me and I listen, then I try the new application of that technique. Sometimes students will create a combination that we haven't thought of. When this happens, the instructor that learns of the combination explains the combination to the other instructor, then we give it some thought, try it out, use it in application. If it works then it becomes a new drill for the rest of the students. If it's seriously flawed then we explain to the student the weaknesses and the strengths of the combination. If it's solid and effective we congratulate the student for their understanding of the technique and the application of it.

At my school learning is a 2 way process. We teach what we know, but sometimes we learn from students as well. Most of this learning comes through explaining how we understand something. If we don't explain, then we only have an assumption about what someone knows or doesn't know.

Showing off is frowned upon at my school. If a student is good at something, then he or she shares with other students and instructors why they are able to be good at it, or why a technique works so well for them when done in free sparring.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not really. If you are the better fighter then you catch the guy and knock him out. And he does not hit you with a flying knee.

If he is the better fighter then he counters your right hand and you have a bad day.
See to me I don't see this as a better fighter issue. It doesn't make me the better fighter, it just makes me a fighter that knows how to counter overhand punches.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why you should throw punches without forward momentum. Because you can be countered when you do.
Are you referring to the over extended punch which causes excessive forward momentum?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
See to me I don't see this as a better fighter issue. It doesn't make me the better fighter, it just makes me a fighter that knows how to counter overhand punches.

That isnt you. That is Michael page.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't only do it after you post. If I think someone misunderstands what I'm trying to say then I'll try to add clarity to it. You aren't the only person that I quote on MT.

The problem is you misunderstanding what people are saying not the other way around. I said the specific damage caused to the forehead was by the knee hitting it, you then went on explain about the punching, psychics etc when there was no need. As I said, mansplaining. The knee broke the bones in the skull... it wasn't about technique that lead to it but the specific point of impact that did the damage. We could all see the lead up to it. You also decided that it was a medical problem no one in the UK would have ever seen before.

If a student is good at something, then he or she shares with other students and instructors why they are able to be good at it, or

You see, this is you thinking you are better at something than we are so you are 'sharing' with us, only you are actually lecturing us about something we weren't discussing. You keep doing it in your further posts as if dropbear, myself and all the other posters train in silence and never communicate with other people, you have the idea that your ideas are new and no one else does the things you do. You seem to have a missionary zeal to tell us how to do things.
The whole point btw of MMA is to see who is the better fighter on the day.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You see, this is you thinking you are better at something than we are so you are 'sharing' with us, only you are actually lecturing us about something we weren't discussing
Not sure why you think I'm better at something than the other members here. I have never said that I was better at something not even in a joking manner.

I'll just make it easy on you and not respond to anything you post anymore.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you think I'm better at something than the other members here. I have never said that I was better at something not even in a joking manner.

I'll just make it easy on you and not respond to anything you post anymore.

You have misunderstood again! I never said I think you are better at something than others! You have also come across several times as thinking you know better than another poster, you often write big explanations of what you think they should have written.

As for 'taking it easy on me', well that's about as patronising as it gets.