Metallica Fans, recommendations?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, hands down. Anything from "the Black Album" (self-titled) and earlier is good. Load and Reload are hit and miss, and I only like maybe 3 tracks off St. Anger. Garage Inc (a cover album) and S & M (with the San Francisco Philharmonic) are pretty good as well.

I agree that Master of Puppets is great, but I would say anything from that album back is good.

IMHO, with the exception of Garage Days...., everything after the death of Cliff Burton is sold-out-commercialized-crap.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
:eek: WHAT!!!!
You never heard Queensryche before.... Go out right now and buy Queensrÿche (the first album)..IMMEIDIATELY :D

And while your at it pick up Y&T Black Tiger too :D
lol alright but if I don't like it you gotta pay for the money I wasted lol. :D

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, hands down. Anything from "the Black Album" (self-titled) and earlier is good. Load and Reload are hit and miss, and I only like maybe 3 tracks off St. Anger. Garage Inc (a cover album) and S & M (with the San Francisco Philharmonic) are pretty good as well.

??? S&M sounded really forced. The symphony and Metallica's stuff did not mesh well.
If you like the concept of mixing metal with symphony, check out the album "Death Cult Armageddon" by Dimmu Borgir. It was recorded with the Prague Philharmonic orchestra and the metal mixes seamlessly with the symphony, which results in some very powerful tunes.
There was a magazine review (I wish I remembered the mag, I'll look it up if I need to) that said, and I quote, "Death Cult Armageddon is everything the Metallica's S & M should have been."

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
??? S&M sounded really forced. The symphony and Metallica's stuff did not mesh well.
I thought the opposite, especially on stuff like Call of Ktulu. That song sounded like it was written to be played with a full orchestra.