Metallica Fans, recommendations?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually ok, I think Tool are a slightly different proposition though.. Megadeth (Countdown to Extinction is my only LP) I think lyrically, yeah I can get with that.. but man surely you would agree, metal lyrics are secondary, yes? I do not believe the fury and the power of any decent metal can be relayed properly through any lyrics and so they are just token, right? Hey I am not arguing or anything.. each to his or her own.. anyways I never argue when I am right :D J

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb, but I will have to disagree with that one. I would argue that because metal is supposed to be raw, the lyrics can be equally raw. I should also point out that in the metal genre there are specific bands (like Tool and maybe Rage Against the Machine) and specific songs have very artistic, intelligent and powerfull lyrics.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to throw out an example, I think Creeping Death is pretty interesting lyrically. The lyrics are from the point of view of the entity that God unleashed on the Egyptians on behalf of Moses.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestions so far, I guess if your exposure to metallica has come from the radio I would start with the black album. That has most of the "radio hits" that really put them on the map to the general public.

I had always been a metallica fan, and I remember my sister stealing my black album in high school because metallica was suddenly the "in thing".

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember being at a party a year or so after the Black Album came out, and someone put on For Whom The Bell Tolls.
Bandwagon fan: "Holy ****! Who is this?"
Me: "Metallica"
Bandwagon fan: "Really? I didn't know they had a new album out already!"
Me: *rolls eyes and goes to get another beer*

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember being at a party a year or so after the Black Album came out, and someone put on For Whom The Bell Tolls.
Bandwagon fan: "Holy ****! Who is this?"
Me: "Metallica"
Bandwagon fan: "Really? I didn't know they had a new album out already!"
Me: *rolls eyes and goes to get another beer*

LOL. I remember having similar experiences.

Trivia: Who here knows what the original title for the "Kill 'em All" album was? Kreth can't answer 'cuz this is metal 101 and I'm sure he knows.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL. I remember having similar experiences.

Trivia: Who here knows what the original title for the "Kill 'em All" album was? Kreth can't answer 'cuz this is metal 101 and I'm sure he knows.

"Metal Up Your ***". The lawyers didn't like it, so they changed it to "Kill 'em All"... in reference to the lawyers.:rofl:

/Bought the Black album on release day
//In Okinawa
///The Japanese version included "So What" as a bonus track.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I'm willing to admit that it was 'Load' that got me into Metallica. 'Until it Sleeps' is my favorite Metallica song. From that album, I worked my way backwards to discover their previous work. Chances are, you can't like every single thing a band does. Well, maybe they're exceptions, but with a band like Metallica, having been around for many years now, its a lot of material. Funny how I look back in the 80s and see Metallica as heavy metal, and now think of them as hard rock. A change in perspective I guess.

Andrew

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
-I'm willing to admit that it was 'Load' that got me into Metallica. 'Until it Sleeps' is my favorite Metallica song. From that album, I worked my way backwards to discover their previous work. Chances are, you can't like every single thing a band does. Well, maybe they're exceptions, but with a band like Metallica, having been around for many years now, its a lot of material. Funny how I look back in the 80s and see Metallica as heavy metal, and now think of them as hard rock. A change in perspective I guess.

Andrew

I think they have changed from their heavy metal days to more of a hard rock sound. They have more of a mass appeal now as well after changing to more of a hard rock sound. This is why old fans always say that they
"sold out".

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, hands down. Anything from "the Black Album" (self-titled) and earlier is good. Load and Reload are hit and miss, and I only like maybe 3 tracks off St. Anger. Garage Inc (a cover album) and S & M (with the San Francisco Philharmonic) are pretty good as well.

Ride the Lightning is good. Anything from thier early years is good. Anything after the Black cd is not as good. Check out a song called "Sanitarium". I think its on Master of Puppets cd. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is a good song. Hope this helps you.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey you.. In what way do you mean songwriting?? Lyrically? Surely you would not be listening to any metal for the complex underlying symbolic allegorical meanings to the lyrics, pffft.. You would get them kicks elsewhere surely?? I think MoP was just too raw.. the production on black for me surpasses anything they have done before or after.. I listen to it because it does not screech in my aged ears :D J

I wouldn't say that the Black cd was great. It was okay but not great. It definitely wasn't as good as Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, or Kill Em' All. How can you beat songs like Sanitarium, Battery, Master of Puppets, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and the instrumental song Orion.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you like Metallica then check out Megadeath, Sepultura, Pantera, Slayer, Biohazard, Queensryche(sp?), Anthrax, and Judas Priest.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Yeah I never looked at Metallica as having sold out. I saw 4 guys who were getting older, which brings experience, if nothing else, and trying different things with their music. And I think as accepted as heavy metal was, Metallica found a way to make harder music enjoyable for a wider audience. Especially with the Black Album. Load is what did it for me, there is even hard country song thats pretty good, and I hate country music. But yeah, some older fans were rather upset by that. There are many who were angsty teenagers wanting to rock out but then time passed. Are some people still channeling that angst into their 20s, 30s and beyond? Yep. But I think Metallica has simply grown up a bit, well, mostly grown older;-)

Andrew

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've never paid much attention to Metallica, but lately I've been running across some of their music on the radio, and I'm kind of digging it.

Any recommendations on some good CDs to start with?

Thanks!
Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

I WOULD NOT suggest you get the St. Anger album though and I'm a hardcore Metallica fan. :headbangin::bangahead:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have to concur with Xue about Y&T. "Black Tiger" is a splendid album.

Queensryche are something of an aquired taste. Musically brilliant, their sound is just a little off 'beam' and takes some getting used to.

Again, tho' I have learned to tolerate them, I have never understood why Metallica got to be so famous when much better bands already existed e.g. the one they most copied, Black Sabbath.

Latest Discussions