Messed up something at Krav Maga today.

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
While punching the bag I threw an incorrect punch and messed up something in my hand. I didn't really even noticed until after I was already done with class ( about 45 minutes later ). Meaning it didn't even effect me doing all of the other moves.

I don't feel any pain and icing it down and taking a hot shower seems to help, but I did lose some flexibility ( most notably I can not make a proper palm strike, which involves curling the hand back far and then curling the fingers as well ).

Will this go away in time with some ice and hot showers and resting the wrist? Like I said I feel no pain and it isn't hindering any of my normal every day functions, but I want to be sure.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think we have any qualified medical doctors on the site, Ken. If you find that it still bothers you on the morrow then your best course of action is to go and see your doctor. For even if one of us has had an injury that sounds the same, the cause might be very different so any advice could be misleading.

The mantra is always, if you are worried about some condition then make an appointment with your doctor.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
And even if there were qualified doctors on the site they'd be hard pressed to diagnose without looking at it. urgent care center if you have good insurance would be a good idea. If you have decreased strength, redness, swelling, pins and needle feelings, go sooner rather than later.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, a visit to the doctor is the best thing I can recommend. My girlfriend recent injured her finger in a basketball game, thought she'd just bruised it and didn't want to bother going to the doctors with it. After 2-3 weeks of it hurting consistently she finally went, turns out she'd had a fracture the whole time, and it was too late to do anything other than wait even longer for it to fix on its own.
Long story short, one trip to the doctors could save you a lot of trouble later on :)

Sanke on the move.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Get it checked out. The docs may just tell you RICE... or it may be something worse. One of my students detached a tendon or ligament from one of his knuckles doing some breaking. At first, I thought he'd just bruised or maybe broken it -- but as issues (like swelling anytime he hit anything...) didn't go away, he got it checked out, and ended up needing surgery to reattach it. It was a lot harder due to the delay... In the same way, another person I know tore a tendon in his wrist, and by the time he finally decided to get it checked out, it had shrunk well up his arm. He was still assessing what he could do about it months later, last time I saw him.

In short -- horror stories to convince you to get it properly assessed so that it can be properly treated.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
alright guys. After talking with some other people we all think it is sprained. The funny thing is that although my muscles won't allow me full range of motion, my hand is still capable of it without any pain whatsoever ( if I put my hand against a wall, or grab a cup or something that contorts the hand naturally it does it just fine. I've had no trouble doing things the rest of the day since the Krav class. I just can't do the motion on command. It's weird. More of an annoyance than a discomfort right now ).

But I am going to the doctor tomorrow. Wish me luck

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's better to be safe than sorry. I've seen people with fractures report no pain in the ED, and have full ROM, no swelling etc. I've also seen people with bruises weep like babies. I'm one year away from my MD and wouldn't be able to tell without an X-ray or at least a thorough physical exam. Also I am always happy when I see posters refrain from giving medical advice on this forum. *Bravo* You'd be surprised how many medical issues aren't "common sense". JKS, if it would let me I'd give you more reputation, but I've apparently propped you too much recently.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While punching the bag I threw an incorrect punch and messed up something in my hand. I didn't really even noticed until after I was already done with class ( about 45 minutes later ). Meaning it didn't even effect me doing all of the other moves.

I don't feel any pain and icing it down and taking a hot shower seems to help, but I did lose some flexibility ( most notably I can not make a proper palm strike, which involves curling the hand back far and then curling the fingers as well ).

Will this go away in time with some ice and hot showers and resting the wrist? Like I said I feel no pain and it isn't hindering any of my normal every day functions, but I want to be sure.

I'm not one for giving medical advice, however, my suggestion would be to go get an x-ray. I've injured both of my hands with punching, and fortunately for me, it was just a small injury to a ligament. Hurt like hell, and it eventually went away. Problem is, unless you don't use that hand at all, its going to take a while to heal. The doc gave me a brace to wear, and that did help.

Like I said, your best bet would be to have a doctor look at it. It may be nothing, but if its causing pain, IMO, it'd be worth having it looked at.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
alright guys. After talking with some other people we all think it is sprained. The funny thing is that although my muscles won't allow me full range of motion, my hand is still capable of it without any pain whatsoever ( if I put my hand against a wall, or grab a cup or something that contorts the hand naturally it does it just fine. I've had no trouble doing things the rest of the day since the Krav class. I just can't do the motion on command. It's weird. More of an annoyance than a discomfort right now ).

Do any of those people have the initials "M.D" or even "N.P" by their name? If not -- they're really probably not qualified to even guess. I'm glad you're planning to see a doctor. Do it; it's too easy to have a relatively easy thing to treat get much harder without treatment. (Says the guy who's knees creak & pop and aren't happy with some motions because he didn't get things checked over the years...) Let us know how things work out.

It's better to be safe than sorry. I've seen people with fractures report no pain in the ED, and have full ROM, no swelling etc. I've also seen people with bruises weep like babies. I'm one year away from my MD and wouldn't be able to tell without an X-ray or at least a thorough physical exam. Also I am always happy when I see posters refrain from giving medical advice on this forum. *Bravo* You'd be surprised how many medical issues aren't "common sense". JKS, if it would let me I'd give you more reputation, but I've apparently propped you too much recently.

I crushed 2 vertebrae and got up and walked around a building. Would've gone home, too... but fortunately some other folks thought that was a very bad idea, and called the medics. Fortunately, no impairment, no nerve damage. Had I gone about my evening, and gone home? There's a damn good chance I wouldn't be able to say that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Probably your best move. With luck, it is nothing more than a sprain. But you will not be able to be sure without checking.

Latest Discussions