Mechanics and combat applications of Poon Sao

OP
Bino TWT

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Also, the guy in the video just stood there. He wasn't sticking, he wasn't active. He stood there, let the guy grab him, then let the guy strike him with zero resistance. If he would've stuck, not only would he not have been struck, he would've been on the inside to wedge that punch out with his counter punch, one step ahead of the grabber.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously you don’t want to let that opponent get to your wrists in the first place but there is a non-zero probability it will happen in the midst of struggle.
If you rotate your arm the same direction as your opponent's arm is rotating, both arms will never make contact.

IMO, it's important to train how to make arm contact (sticky hand). It's also important to train not to make arm contact (avoid sticky hand).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also, the guy in the video just stood there.
That is just a training for surprise attack.

Your opponent uses wrist grab to guide your arm away from his attacking path. So when he attacks, your arm won't be in the way and give him any trouble.

May be just consider the wrist grab as a more controllable downward parry. The reason your opponent grabs instead of parry because he doesn't want you to borrow his downward force and give him a hook punch on the side of his head.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Footwork would have helped the dude on the right avoid that bro hug.
Many years ago, one of my friend said, "If I keep moving back (footwork), no matter what MA skill that you may use, it will never work on me." His comment had bothered me for many years.

Soon, I found 2 solutions:

1. If you move in attack me, I'll move in attack you at the same time.
2. When I attack you, I'll put a "hook" on your body (such as a wrist grip). When you move back (footwork), you will pull my body into you.

I have always believed that the "hooking" concept is superior than the "sticky" concept.

wc_2.jpg

Last edited:

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you rotate your arm the same direction as your opponent's arm is rotating, both arms will never make contact.

IMO, it's important to train how to make arm contact (sticky hand). It's also important to train not to make arm contact (avoid sticky hand).
Many years ago, one of my friend said, "If I keep moving back (footwork), no matter what MA skill that you may use, it will never work on me." His comment had bothered me for many years.

Soon, I found 2 solutions:

1. If you move in attack me, I'll move in attack you at the same time.
2. When I attack you, I'll put a "hook" on your body (such as a wrist grip). When you move back (footwork), you will pull my body into you.

I have always believed that the "hooking" concept is superior than the "sticky" concept.

wc_2.jpg
You can also step to the side of your opponent. Footwork isn't exclusively back and forth, that would be limiting and demobilizing. The guy in that video had tons of options to defend against the incoming hook. He could have slipped down and to the left while hammering the hips with a solid right. He could have tan sao'd left if he was tracking while stepping to the right and capping with his right. He could have literally just thrown both hands straight up into the air and in his center and probably blocked the hit. He could have stepped in and given the opponent a bear hug to buy time and slip away. He could have lop'd the bicep of the incoming hook. He could have stepped south west with central as relative north and lan'd. He could have lead t-stepped to left bil sao while reverse-capping with the right. There are infinitely many different ways he could have addressed that incoming strike with good, mobile footwork.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You can also tell your friend if they keep moving back they will eventually hit a wall.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMO, it's important to train how to make arm contact (sticky hand).

...meanwhile...from an earlier post... :D

It's better to prevent a problem from happening than to allow it happens and then try to fix it afterward.

IMO, the best way is not to let your opponent to have any chance to grab on your wrist. I see no reason the "grip fight" training should be separate from your "sticky hand" training.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is just a training for surprise attack.

Ever pause to think that's what was happening above in the double grab scenario you didn't like?

Here ya go:

It's better to prevent a problem from happening than to allow it happens and then try to fix it afterward.

IMO, the best way is not to let your opponent to have any chance to grab on your wrist. I see no reason the "grip fight" training should be separate from your "sticky hand" training.

Perhaps you should have "prevented" the surprise attack rather than letting it happen(?) :D

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Wise man once say "man moving backward will always be slower than man moving forward"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps you should have "prevented" the surprise attack rather than letting it happen(?) :D
That clip only shows "how to grab on your opponent's wrist". There are other clips that show

- How to avoid your opponent to grab on your wrist. You rotate your arm the same direction as your opponent's arm is rotating.
- How to grab on your opponent's wrist when he tries to avoid your wrist grabbing. When your opponent rotates his arm the same direction as your arm is rotating, you suddenly reverse your arm rotation.

IMO, all MA skill should be trained at least in these 3 levels.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find these clips in another forum. IMO, this kind of training is quite useful. You don't have to depend on your arm contact on your opponent's arm (such as the WC sticky hand). The distance is more realistic. The footwork is more nature.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ Those look a lot like FMA's Hubud drills!

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I find these clips in another forum. IMO, this kind of training is quite useful. You don't have to depend on your arm contact on your opponent's arm (such as the WC sticky hand). The distance is more realistic. The footwork is more nature.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

A lot of stance switching and leg crossing in these videos. Can you find better examples?