Me at taekwondo

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just listen and do what the instructor is telling you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is extremely difficult to tell much at all from that video. It appears that your group is practicing front stances.
If so, then it looks like your stance is far too narrow. It looks as if you are putting your feet in line with each other. The TKD front stance as taught by the KKW (which I seem to recall you saying is the branch you're studying) is shoulder width.
Stand with you feet spaced so the outside edge of each foot is even with the outside of your shoulder.
Now move one foot straight forward, without moving the other foot. In the video, it looks as if you're moving one foot forward, and the other sideways till the two feet are in a straight line. Don't do that.
Bend the front knee and lock the back leg.
That should be pretty close, if what you're practicing is, in fact, front stances.
This is one of our students demonstrating the front stance.
Front Stance front.JPG Front Stance side.JPG
Old pictures, taken from my 2nd book. That woman is now a 1st Dan.

Last edited:
OP
Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is extremely difficult to tell much at all from that video. It appears that your group is practicing front stances.
If so, then it looks like your stance is far too narrow. It looks as if you are putting your feet in line with each other. The TKD front stance as taught by the KKW (which I seem to recall you saying is the branch you're studying) is shoulder width.
Stand with you feet spaced so the outside edge of each foot is even with the outside of your shoulder.
Now move one foot straight forward, without moving the other foot. In the video, it looks as if you're moving one foot forward, and the other sideways till the two feet are in a straight line. Don't do that.
That should be pretty close, if what you're practicing is, in fact, front stances.
View attachment 20270 View attachment 20271
Ok thank you .

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
View attachment 20270 View attachment 20271
I'm curious if that's the same thing his instructor was saying

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're crossing your back leg inwards instead of putting your front foot out like everyone else. Absolute basics — you want about a shoulder-width fight stance at all times and you should avoid crossing legs statically.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if that's the same thing his instructor was saying

I suspect so, from the exaggerated stances the instructor is in. I often do much the same thing when working with new students who are struggling with stances.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the other students know you were videoing the class?

OP
Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
More to the point, it's a good idea to inform people that they are on video, especially if that video might end up on the internet somewhere. It's only polite, as not everyone wants to be in a video, or on the internet.
But they know already and my instructor be recording people too and be putting it on the internet too .

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But they know already and my instructor be recording people too and be putting it on the internet too .
Sure, and that is a good thing. We here, on Martialtalk, didn't know that until you shared that information with us, and we are glad that you did.

Not everybody conducts themselves in a respectful way. Some people take sneaky videos, and those videos can be abused and it's not fair to the other people who are on those videos, if they didn't know.

Since they knew you were making the video, you acted in a respectful manner. We approve that kind of behavior. Thank you.

OP
Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sure, and that is a good thing. We here, on Martialtalk, didn't know that until you shared that information with us, and we are glad that you did.

Not everybody conducts themselves in a respectful way. Some people take sneaky videos, and those videos can be abused and it's not fair to the other people who are on those videos, if they didn't know.

Since they knew you were making the video, you acted in a respectful manner. We approve that kind of behavior. Thank you.
Yea true I understand what you are saying .

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only sports I am good at is Football and wrestling and Track and Field .
You weren't always good at these sports.

Universal truth. Everyone starts from zero
This means no one is born with knowledge of how to do do things. Everyone learns starting from zero. The things (skills, talents, natural ability, etc.) that makes us really good at something is what determines how fast we progress from zero, but everyone starts from zero of not knowing to knowing.

With martial arts spend more time trying to get things correct and less on being good at it. In martial arts being good is a by product of doing things correctly. If you do try to be good at something first then you'll end up having a lot of injuries because your didn't have correct alignment when doing stances or kicking.

Latest Discussions