MCMAP

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trust me, it's not even close to the same. Marines lack social graces and are rather proud of that fact. We break things and kill people and it shows in our training. No offense to the Army, they try hard.

Bill, next time I am in Michigan remind me to introduce you to my best friend Bart Uguccioni. (former Marine Recon) You and he will get along absolutely great!!! ;)

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would not categorize MMA with JKD or Krav Maga. Very different approaches even if there is some bleed over in technique. MMA is a competitive based and specifically cage fighting based. Whereas JKD, Krav Maga, MCMAP, IRT, Kali, FMA, Kajukenbo, etc. would all be geared towards violence outside of a cage and or competitive environment. That does not mean that combat sports cannot be effective on the street or for personal protection it just may not be the driving force behind their methodology.

No I know there are differences between them. I put them in the same group just because they don't base their combat style in only punching, or only grappling, or more importan they don't focus on anything specific. I like to think of them as "a mix of useful stuff", that's the only reason I categorize them "toghether". I understand their differences of course.

It is true that MMA is a more competitive discipline, rather than self-defence oriented.

You can actually train FMA as a whole?

I have the understanding that hybrid martial arts are the ones that take from different arts and mix them up right? I'm just finding that out now that I looked up Kajukenbo on Google. That's great. Kajukenbo actually looks wicked. I wonder if there are any good schools (if any) in my town. I'll gues I'll start "walking" again. Thanks for that!

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Trust me, it's not even close to the same. Marines lack social graces and are rather proud of that fact. We break things and kill people and it shows in our training. No offense to the Army, they try hard.

I'm an outsider looking in (Air Force), but IMO, the Army Combatives program is more robust than MCMAP. Army Combatives doesn't even begin to be a "complete" system but most of the belting done in MCMAP is done by belting in another martial art and just doing so many hours training in MCMAP. The curriculum itself isn't very extensive.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I know there are differences between them. I put them in the same group just because they don't base their combat style in only punching, or only grappling, or more importan they don't focus on anything specific. I like to think of them as "a mix of useful stuff", that's the only reason I categorize them "toghether". I understand their differences of course.

It is true that MMA is a more competitive discipline, rather than self-defence oriented.

You can actually train FMA as a whole?

I have the understanding that hybrid martial arts are the ones that take from different arts and mix them up right? I'm just finding that out now that I looked up Kajukenbo on Google. That's great. Kajukenbo actually looks wicked. I wonder if there are any good schools (if any) in my town. I'll gues I'll start "walking" again. Thanks for that!

Now that the streets have been raised. You then need to consider theoretical vs practical.

So self defence is mostly theoretical. As in what might happen. What might work to counter that.

Resisted training and competition is what will happen. In the gym and in the ring.

You need to have a system that is effective in both.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Now that the streets have been raised. You then need to consider theoretical vs practical.

So self defence is mostly theoretical. As in what might happen. What might work to counter that.

Resisted training and competition is what will happen. In the gym and in the ring.

You need to have a system that is effective in both.

I do not care about competitions and I'm sure I'll never join one. That's not why I want to do Martial Arts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not care about competitions and I'm sure I'll never join one. That's not why I want to do Martial Arts.

Yeah but you are probably not going into a biker bar and yelling come at me bro either.

For martial art to work it really has to be used on people. Or something just gets lost.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Haha! Yeah I'm not trying to learn martial arts to start or seek fighting. Just have some fun learning and practicing, and if it ever comes to that, I'll use it.

I still agree with you. If you don't use it regularly in "real" situations, you may not get the best out of it. But I don't like competitions, and I don't like fighting either. I just want to be prepared if I'm ever forced to do it. I don't know if that makes sense :p

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha! Yeah I'm not trying to learn martial arts to start or seek fighting. Just have some fun learning and practicing, and if it ever comes to that, I'll use it.

I still agree with you. If you don't use it regularly in "real" situations, you may not get the best out of it. But I don't like competitions, and I don't like fighting either. I just want to be prepared if I'm ever forced to do it. I don't know if that makes sense :p

That makes perfect sense, just as long as you understand the limitations of said training. When it comes to fighting, a lot of it comes down to experience. You could be a black belt and be able to do all the techniques in your system perfectly, and still get beaten up by a white belt who has been in a lot more fights than you. Just for an example, a lot of people go down like a sack of bricks the first time they get hit by a proper punch, whereas a seasoned fighter can shrug it off and recover from the punch quicker. Is that to say your training is useless? Absolutely not, but you need to be aware that there's a huge difference between training and an actual fight.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I know it would be best to fight on a regular basis. Maybe some aggressive sparing? I gues I'll decide when I'm experienced enough. For now thank you all for the replies!

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I know it would be best to fight on a regular basis. Maybe some aggressive sparing? I gues I'll decide when I'm experienced enough. For now thank you all for the replies!

Sure. Get some pads and gloves on and see how many punches you can block. Also, you can try exercises like I detailed in the thread below:

An interesting experience

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm an outsider looking in (Air Force), but IMO, the Army Combatives program is more robust than MCMAP. Army Combatives doesn't even begin to be a "complete" system but most of the belting done in MCMAP is done by belting in another martial art and just doing so many hours training in MCMAP. The curriculum itself isn't very extensive.

Well, you know, Air Force. If I need to know what kind of armchair to buy, I will seek your advice. ;)

Just teasing, really!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What do (did) you do in the air Force?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, you know, Air Force. If I need to know what kind of armchair to buy, I will seek your advice. ;)

Just teasing, really!

Off topic...

A Marine, a Soldier, a Sailor, and an Airman all find a scorpion in their tents...

The Marine picks it up with his bare hands and bites the head off.

The Soldier steps on it with his boot.

The Sailor calls 911.

The Airman calls room service and asks why there's a tent in their hotel room.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey I do not mind the off topicness. I already got all the help I needed. Since this is a personal issue I doubt anyone else will need this thread anyways!

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What do (did) you do in the air Force?

During my first 7 years I worked in aircraft maintenance, specifically back-shop F-15 avionics systems with a stint doing computer support for my unit. For the last 8 years, I've worked in intelligence (operations intel which was recently renamed to all-source).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My MMA coach trains with the guy who trains the Australian Army. Paul Cale. Paul Cale runs Australia's Kudo team.

My coach trains MMA but competes in Kudo. Came third or something. The elements that make you good at MMA make you good at kudo.

Now Coach has done Pauls reality based system. Which is one of the top of the line reality based systems in Australia. And had no dramas.

The elements that make you good at MMA that make you good at Kudo. Make you good at reality self defence.

Now i have had a crap ton of street fights. Weapons multiples Had a gun waved at me. Saw a guy set on fire in a street fight. I am pretty confident my coach could beat the piss out of me in a no rules fight. Because those same elements.

When it comes to self defense a lot of people who think they know. Don't know.

I firmly advocate making a solid base of what you do know.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just teasing, really!

I know you were teasing Bill. But seriously, did you ever see the exorbitantly priced jet assisted arm chair the Air Force used to have? I think it was called a B-47.

Latest Discussions