Mcgregor vs Diaz

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I fought a wrestler I made sure to stay close to the cage as much as possible that way they can't use a power double to slam you down and you can catch yourself on the cage

Catch yourself?

What circumstance are you talking about here?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Catch yourself?

What circumstance are you talking about here?
Catching myself on the cage so I don't end up on my ****. Anderson silva does the same thing he did it against Bonnar and weidman put himself on the cage so it was easier to stuff the takedown

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Catching myself on the cage so I don't end up on my ****. Anderson silva does the same thing he did it against Bonnar and weidman put himself on the cage so it was easier to stuff the takedown

How do the mechanics of that work?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I am trying to hunt down the actual stats. Here is sonnen taking Silva down off the cage.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I fought a wrestler I made sure to stay close to the cage as much as possible that way they can't use a power double to slam you down and you can catch yourself on the cage

...power double is all you're worried about? ...not leg hooks, suplex, or getting clobbered until you let your guard down for 1sec? Even i know this stuff XP

To use the Nate vs Mcgregor fight as an example, assuming my (definitely not drunk at the time) memory isn't too hazy, Nate dragged Conor away from the cage at the end of round 5 and swung him off his feet. Are you going to grab the cage when your opponent drags you away from it? If you grab the cage, are you ready to get battered until you start using your hands to clinch again?

I'm not even going so far as uchi mata's, or other 'forward' throws...

No way is being up against the cage a way to avoid takedowns

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...power double is all you're worried about? ...not leg hooks, suplex, or getting clobbered until you let your guard down for 1sec? Even i know this stuff XP

To use the Nate vs Mcgregor fight as an example, assuming my (definitely not drunk at the time) memory isn't too hazy, Nate dragged Conor away from the cage at the end of round 5 and swung him off his feet. Are you going to grab the cage when your opponent drags you away from it? If you grab the cage, are you ready to get battered until you start using your hands to clinch again?

Have you fought in the cage?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well I did it and I won and I didnt get taken down once against a guy who'd been wrestling for 15 years and I'd been grappling for about 13 months so yeah it is a way since it worked for me just as I planned it so please don't talk down on me like I'm a beginner who's never even sparred in his life

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you fought in the cage?

No. So, i may be completely wrong. And, re-reading my post, i was way too 'this is wrong and i'm right' about it. No excuses, i have no idea what got into my head.

But i do watch alot of MMA, and shoots that end pressed up against the cage seem to either turn into a grind or result in a takedown from up against the cage. Saying that it absolutely won't work was wrong, but i'll stand by the general sentiment that you can still finish a takedown if it runs into the cage. An experienced wrestler should be able to do this?

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I did it and I won and I didnt get taken down once against a guy who'd been wrestling for 15 years and I'd been grappling for about 13 months so yeah it is a way since it worked for me just as I planned it so please don't talk down on me like I'm a beginner who's never even sparred in his life

Yes, and i went off on a tangent for some reason. I apologize.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. So, i may be completely wrong. And, re-reading my post, i was way too 'this is wrong and i'm right' about it. No excuses, i have no idea what got into my head.

But i do watch alot of MMA, and shoots that end pressed up against the cage seem to either turn into a grind or result in a takedown from up against the cage. Saying that it absolutely won't work was wrong, but i'll stand by the general sentiment that you can still finish a takedown if it runs into the cage. An experienced wrestler should be able to do this?
Ys you can but if your against the cage your in a lot better position than in the centre of the cage. In the centre your stuck at the cage you can lean on it to keep your balance and if you do go down you can use it to get back up. JDS vs Velasquez 2 and 3 nearly all of those 2 fights were against the cage with Velasquez going for the takedown and dos santos against the cage trying to defend and only went down a few times. And Velasquez is the best wrestler in the heavyweight division. Anderson silva puts himself against the cage to avoid takedowns he did it against Bonnar and weidman

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know about wrestlers, not a big thing here but certainly an MMA fighter can. I'm not sure that people realise the learning to fight (and practicing it) against the cage is part of the training, lying against it, top and bottom, standing with back against it and with your opponent's back against it, in fact all permutations that you can think of.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I am trying to hunt down the actual stats. Here is sonnen taking Silva down off the cage.

Yes and I never said you couldn't but there's also plenty of examples of people staying up because of the fence. How many times have you heard rogan say "if it wasnt for the cage he'd have gone down" that's why so many times you see a guy get clinched against the cage and they shoot then there's a long battle for it where as if it wasnt there they'd just go down

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know about wrestlers, not a big thing here but certainly an MMA fighter can. I'm not sure that people realise the learning to fight (and practicing it) against the cage is part of the training, lying against it, top and bottom, standing with back against it and with your opponent's back against it, in fact all permutations that you can think of.
Also hate to say but grabbing the fence to. I know it's illegal but it's a tactic a lot of people use and there's really no punishment for it unless you do it like 10 times just the ref yelling don't grab the fence and if you stop getting taken down it there's no penalty. I remember reading one fighters book saying it is a good strategy if you know your screwed on the ground. E.g if I was fighting demian Maia I'd know I'd be tapping in seconds so if I can do that to stop me going down then why not take it. Personally I wouldn't do that myself it's a cheap move but it's still a way of using it to stop going down

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and I never said you couldn't but there's also plenty of examples of people staying up because of the fence. How many times have you heard rogan say "if it wasnt for the cage he'd have gone down" that's why so many times you see a guy get clinched against the cage and they shoot then there's a long battle for it where as if it wasnt there they'd just go down

I have never heard Joe rogan say that.

If the cage wasn't there they could sprawl. That is why you see people drive guys towards the cage during a take down and why you see guys like Connor McGregor stay in the middle.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Learning to fight off your back is part of the training as well. Dosent mean you go there on purpose.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can definitely do that but the cage also allows you to take a stance that makes it very hard to be taken down provided you get at least one underhook and get wide.

upload_2016-8-29_17-52-18.png

Of course it would be better if you had double underhooks which might keep the person getting to low in the first place.

The cage also allows you to walk up it out of a takedown. Pressing down on your opponents head while utilizing the back of the cage to give you leverage to push your way up and stand up.

So it works both ways and mma fighters that are smart are training to utilize the cage as an aid in their takedowns as well as preventing takedowns and utilizing the cage to stand up.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speaking of a Diaz or two...from this past weekend, after Snoop Dog's concert.

original-ca601e6dd56ebaf986026964095241f7.jpg

I think I got a contact high just from looking at it. :)

Latest Discussions