Mc dojo

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I agree. The truely committed people are definitely few in comparison to the masses for whom it is simply a hobby of sorts.
Right, and there is nothing "wrong" with what they do. They enjoy it, it keeps them active, nothing to complain about.

OP
H

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green]None of my comments where directed at your art, or my art. But arts in general. The simple truth is that EVERYONE claims effectiveness, and not one of them is most effective.
While is there is truth in what you say, but also in considering effectiveness,

It dose come down to the individual that is practicing a said art, And there is a clear distinction between arts as to what is effective. Some arts are defiantly more affective than other's with each placing greater enfervesces on a different aspect of an art.

The new person coming into your school really isn't going to be impressed by how effective you say your stuff is compared to everyone elses. Styles that sell themselves based on primarily on effectiveness generally do not get big schools.
Perhaps, yet with a new percpective student, it would be a sound obligation to the new student, to inform them, that there is a differnence between sytem's or style's and teaching, perhaps they may be looking for something that is specific, like example sport Tae kwon do opposed to American Kenpo.

Generally each system or school , advertise's it's self to be an effective means of self defense, Yet that is far from the truth!! (I sense you are also refering to a commerical school in regards to size)

On a side note

I have two Kenpo school's either side of me located about ten minutes drive
in either direction, I do not have an assoiction with either school, And Clearly Advertise the fact that :"Dynamic Kenpo there is a differnce!"(registed trademark) and (copyright2003) Sydney ,Australia Email [email protected]

And I do agree that I dont see the sense in telling the new persective student How effective my school or Instruction is opposed to another but Allow them the oportunity to experience that for themselves first hand.

And yes, I have seen much nonsense taught as "self-defence", often taught be respected teachers in respected styles with respected lineages. But does that matter? Not that much, that isn't why most people are there.
I totally agree ,Its would be difficult to teach what you dont know, lol.

And personally lineages dont mean jack! while some pride themselves on the fact, Credit is given, It is no indication to one's abilitiy,there are plenty of examples of such,with out giving detail's in all system's or styles. Many great teacher's have had poor student's,yet carry their name.

I surpose the proof is in what you can do , and not what you know,

Thankyou Andrew for your posting, in allowing me to respond. It able me to get that of my chest in a clear, honest ,respectful manner.

Cheers.
smileJap.gif

O

OC Kid

maybe being "the best " was the wrong way to phrase it. What I meant was they would degrade other arts as 2nd rate, ineffective ect, they are the only true art...you know that sort of thing. I basically tell potential students, that all arts have their advantages and disadvantages..Its just what your looking for..what fits your needs.

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
McDojo you ask?????

Geezz this is an easy one, Just open the phone book and look at the Martial Arts School ads. I would venture to say 98.9% of the schools out there teach BS. All done in the name of Martial Arts.

San

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew,
From your posts it seems that you think to be a successful school you have to have blackbelt clubs, long contracts, etc. There are many hardcore successful schools that don't resort to the above or any of the other MC Dojo practices. The Straight Blast Gym, The Inosanto Academy, Fairtex Gym, just to name a few. Also you say there is a market for watered down martial arts. True just as there is a market for fast food but everyone knows it is not fine cuisine. I think that if McDojos want to service that market then they should be proud of their McDojo title and call themselves that. I respect the fast food companies that are not trying to pretend to be healthy and add salads and fruit. You will never see that a Carl's Junior do that.
For those that don't think professional schools are needed. If you need a boxing ring or cage to train in how do you do that when you rent space from a place like a dance school or kiddie gym?

Latest Discussions