Mayweather vs McGregor

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Rar!!! Rabble, rabble rabble. MMA. Money! I've known Conor since he was the towel boy!! I hate MMA! I hate boxing!! I hate both sports!!! I hate Mayweather. I hate him more. Ive hated him for longer. What are we yelling about? I'm yelling because you're yelling! Well I'm just matching your intensity. Well, I wasn't yelling at you anyway. I was yelling at him. Oh, well, so, yeah, it was surprisingly entertaining.

Does that pretty much sum it up"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that I disagree with it. I meant to imply that I don't have any interest in that form of entertainment.

The trouble is it's upsetting some that you won't have a rant lol, I'd say this is a subject guaranteed to bring out the trolls and those who think they are soooo much better than the rest of us!

As you said it's not really of a lot of interest other than to the fighters and their now very financially secure families ( and hangers on probably) What is said here won't bother them one jot.....just as it doesn't bother you or I. :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought Connor really showed just how good he could be as a boxer. With a few more fights he might be the best in the world. Mayweather still is at this point but... his time is waning.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What this fight confirms is that MMA and boxing are just to completely different sports.

Kinda like taking Usain Bolt and having him enter the 1600 meter against that sports best.

Not really. That was a first time boxer against the best boxer in the world.

If we compare that to say CM punk and mickey gall. Connor did a much better job of fighting outside his element.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fact is mma is mma boxing is boxing, there's hundreds of differences. It's like saying a professional badminton player can beat andy Murray at tennis because both sports use similar looking rackets and hit something over a net. It's a totally different sport. An mma fighter will always beat a boxer in mma and a boxer will always beat an mma fighter in boxing.

I'm just so surprised anyone thought this would go any other way

That is incorrect.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I watched the fight last night. What I learned this morning was that the judges had Mayweather so far ahead - that even if McGregor had clearly won the tenth, eleventh and twelfth - Mayweather would have won anyway. Had that happened - I believe there would have been an old fashioned riot at the fight. And maybe rightly so.

My question now is - will McGregor fight again? Estimates say, when all is said and done, he'll make 50 to 80 million dollars for last night's fight. How much does he make for a UFC fight? Would he be willing to take that kind of cut in pay?
He should walk away and use the money to make money. He has accomplished a lot already so there's no need to grind the gears until they fall off. If he uses his winnings wisely then he can be set for life. At this point the only reason to go back to fighting again would be just for the enjoyment of it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought Connor really showed just how good he could be as a boxer. With a few more fights he might be the best in the world. Mayweather still is at this point but... his time is waning.
I don't know about that. He had a good showing for someone who doesn't box, but as far as boxing skills goes, he wasn't as good as some of the other fighters out there. Mayweather isn't exactly known for being a power puncher so there's no guarantee that the people he would have to fight will be punching with similar power as Mayweather. I've also seen Mayweather fight harder in past fights than what he had to do against McGregor.

He's good at MMA and Boxing isn't where he shines the brightest. With a few more fights the other boxers would figure him out and it would be harder for him to be successful.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I really don't know what fight the judges were watching. Everyone I was with had McGegor winning 5 of the first 6 and then Floyd took over.
I had him winning the first three, and round 5 could've gone either way. Rest of the fight was all Mayweather.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've never had much exposure to the boxing community (other than at the gym) and it makes me sick to hear the toxic, vile (censored) coming out of it, now.
No, the fight wasn't a joke, no-one is making excuses, it wasn't a racist fight, he didn't deserve brain damage, none of it was fake, it's not the end of his career, etc.

I want nothing to do with it.
PS: I don't like CMG, am a Nate Diaz fangirl.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Fact is mma is mma boxing is boxing, there's hundreds of differences. It's like saying a professional badminton player can beat andy Murray at tennis because both sports use similar looking rackets and hit something over a net. It's a totally different sport. An mma fighter will always beat a boxer in mma and a boxer will always beat an mma fighter in boxing.

I'm just so surprised anyone thought this would go any other way
Jens Pulver was an early miletich fighter who won four pro boxing matches while also competing in Pride FC.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've never had much exposure to the boxing community (other than at the gym) and it makes me sick to hear the toxic, vile (censored) coming out of it, now.
No, the fight wasn't a joke, no-one is making excuses, it wasn't a racist fight, he didn't deserve brain damage, none of it was fake, it's not the end of his career, etc.

I want nothing to do with it.
PS: I don't like CMG, am a Nate Diaz fangirl.
Huh?

Latest Discussions