Mayweather vs McGregor

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ye has had a good few months to prepare for a 12 round fight, which he clearly didn't.
he was equal or a head at 6rounds and dead on his feet at round ten, that's a training issue.
It isn't necessarily only was he fit enough... Pacing for a 3 minute, all stand up fight is different than a 5 minute match blending stand up and grappling. It's just a different game, and hard to prep for in a matter of months.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys... let's try to keep things polite and friendly so that an uninvolved mod doesn't have to step in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The main objective in professional fight sports is money.
There are far more ways to win a professional fight than beating up the other person.
McGregor wasn't prepared to go 12 rounds. Not that he didn't train for it he simply wasn't prepared. Pro boxers spend several years preparing for 10 & 12 round fights not months. In the fight sports game there is a huge difference in time management and physical output management over 3-5 rounds vs 10-12 and it takes time to develop it.
Mayweather was smart and played the game using:
the rules...what the rules allowed as well as didn't allow,
physical output management,
time management,
He knew when to pressure, when and how to pick up points. (how to control the ring and pace of the fight)
McGregor's only chance was to get in an early KO or a lucky punch in the later rounds...didn't happen.
After he began to gas out in the 6th Mayweather was very patient started pressuring and then simply worn McGregor out and took the win.
Valid fight strategy

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well he is about 30 years younger than me so you know....but I know when I was in my fighting career I always made damm sure I was in the best shape possible and went 12 rounds on numerous occasions both in actual competition and sparring and I never gassed out to the point where I couldn't fight any more. Even today where I'm not as fit I can still do about 8 rounds at 100% before starting to slow down.

To me cardio is the one thing anyone can have, not everyone can have power or speed or toughness or the best chin or the best ability but anyone can get good cardio as long as you put the work in. To me there's no excuse for a professional athlete who trains full time to not be in shape to go a full 12 rounds.
So how many million did you make?:nailbiting:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread is funny. Alot of MMA hurt feelings out there lol. I finally saw the fight and it's clear that McGregor didn't have the advantage going into the the fight. He's fighting one of the best boxers in the world in a sport that he doesn't compete in. How many years has Mayweather been boxing? He's been in boxing for almost as long as McGregor has been alive (8 years short). On top he's going against a guy who has defeated some of the best boxers in the world and who has remained undefeated. No matter how much I really don't care for Mayweather, I have always acknowledged his boxing ability as boxer. That's a big mountain for McGregor to climb. He literally tried to do what other professional boxers trained their whole life to do.

If Mayweather was fighting MMA then it would have been a different end result, but Mayweather doesn't do MMA so he was smart for not trying to go against an MMA fighter's strength.

I have no idea why so many people or so sensitive about this. Even McGregor acknowledge as much in reference to Mayweather's experience and his ability to analyze what was going on and make the necessary changes. Mayweather didn't take the fight lightly which was good, sometimes fighters get cocky and he respected McGregor's ability which is a sign of a good fighter and accepting the fact that "Everyone is dangerous."

In terms of boxing. I wonder if anyone of McGregor's fighting tactics will make it into professional boxing.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread is funny. Alot of MMA hurt feelings out there lol. I finally saw the fight and it's clear that McGregor didn't have the advantage going into the the fight. He's fighting one of the best boxers in the world in a sport that he doesn't compete in. How many years has Mayweather been boxing? He's been in boxing for almost as long as McGregor has been alive (8 years short). On top he's going against a guy who has defeated some of the best boxers in the world and who has remained undefeated. No matter how much I really don't care for Mayweather, I have always acknowledged his boxing ability as boxer. That's a big mountain for McGregor to climb. He literally tried to do what other professional boxers trained their whole life to do.

If Mayweather was fighting MMA then it would have been a different end result, but Mayweather doesn't do MMA so he was smart for not trying to go against an MMA fighter's strength.

I have no idea why so many people or so sensitive about this. Even McGregor acknowledge as much in reference to Mayweather's experience and his ability to analyze what was going on and make the necessary changes. Mayweather didn't take the fight lightly which was good, sometimes fighters get cocky and he respected McGregor's ability which is a sign of a good fighter and accepting the fact that "Everyone is dangerous."

In terms of boxing. I wonder if anyone of McGregor's fighting tactics will make it into professional boxing.
Fact is mma is mma boxing is boxing, there's hundreds of differences. It's like saying a professional badminton player can beat andy Murray at tennis because both sports use similar looking rackets and hit something over a net. It's a totally different sport. An mma fighter will always beat a boxer in mma and a boxer will always beat an mma fighter in boxing.

I'm just so surprised anyone thought this would go any other way

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just got done watching the fight this morning.

McGregor did much better then I thought he would. I have been watching Mayweather for a while now and when the fight first started, I was wondering why he was holding back. As the match went on, it became obvious what he was doing. In the end, I thought it was a good fight. I also saw a tweet from Mayweather saying that this was his last fight. Don't blame him. he made a ton of cash with this fight.

In the end, Looks like Mayweather played smart and finished strong.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are you talking about? It is all about the money. :p
It is all about the money.

It isn't about MMA or Boxing...it isn't about an particular fighter.
It is an Entertainment business. It is about selling viewing. So it comes down to who are people willing to part of their money to be entertained by. The fight itself is simply the set up or the stage for the show that people will pay to view. It isn't about who is the best fighter mma or boxing...it is about who sells.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just got done watching the fight this morning.

McGregor did much better then I thought he would. I have been watching Mayweather for a while now and when the fight first started, I was wondering why he was holding back. As the match went on, it became obvious what he was doing. In the end, I thought it was a good fight. I also saw a tweet from Mayweather saying that this was his last fight. Don't blame him. he made a ton of cash with this fight.

In the end, Looks like Mayweather played smart and finished strong.
ha ha ha.. yeah he did. Good for him though for making his money. Hopefully he'll manage it better now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i said
CM was at least equal at round,6, you said he wasn't, producing stats for the whole fight do not support that point at all
He didn't post that as a reply to your post (note that you weren't quoted), but as a reply to the thread as a whole.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I watched the fight last night. What I learned this morning was that the judges had Mayweather so far ahead - that even if McGregor had clearly won the tenth, eleventh and twelfth - Mayweather would have won anyway. Had that happened - I believe there would have been an old fashioned riot at the fight. And maybe rightly so.

My question now is - will McGregor fight again? Estimates say, when all is said and done, he'll make 50 to 80 million dollars for last night's fight. How much does he make for a UFC fight? Would he be willing to take that kind of cut in pay?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched the fight last night. What I learned this morning was that the judges had Mayweather so far ahead - that even if McGregor had clearly won the tenth, eleventh and twelfth - Mayweather would have won anyway. Had that happened - I believe there would have been an old fashioned riot at the fight. And maybe rightly so.

My question now is - will McGregor fight again? Estimates say, when all is said and done, he'll make 50 to 80 million dollars for last night's fight. How much does he make for a UFC fight? Would he be willing to take that kind of cut in pay?

He has an apparel and merchandise company and other business interest started.

I think he walks away and focuses on other revenue streams then makes a come back in the UFC in 2-3 years from now for mega money.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting finished is a win? Lol competitive...yeah soooo competitive 1 round to 8 so close right. A 29 year old in his prime who's regularly training and fighting lost to a 40 year old who hasn't fought in 2 years and weighed less than him...if that's a win to you I'd hate to see a loss. But tbh it's not a surprise you support him big mouths stick together

How rude are you! I take it you just like having a pot at people here...that's called being a troll.
It was a fight for money, it went better than many expected and many people who know nothing about boxing or MMA such as yourself have chipped in with their tenpence worth for which you should at least ninepence change. If you read ( that's looking and the words and understanding what they mean) you'll find that people aren't 'sticking together. I can't imagine what makes you think your opinion is worth anymore than anyone else's. I actually like Conor, I've been watching him fight for 9 years, I've spoken to him in passing and found him pleasant and polite, the publicity hunting started when he got the UFC contract which I imagine is par for the course, he's there to sell tickets after all. His coach John Kavanagh I do know, we've had his fighters on our shows, we've chatted when I've picked him up from airports etc. he's very knowledgeable and likable, I'm not going to slag either of them off nor am I going to express an opinion on the fight, it was Conor's choice to fight so his business. it was a good decision from his point of view, he's made a very good nest egg for his family so I doubt he cares what tow rags think on the internet. I know I wouldn't!

Alot of MMA hurt feelings out there lol

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Truth is....when it comes to the fight business......promoting and making your money and then getting out with your health.......Mayweather and MacGregor might be a couple of the all-time greats.

Just looking at their careers from strictly a business and money making standpoint.......they are brilliant!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He didn't post that as a reply to your post (note that you weren't quoted), but as a reply to the thread as a whole.
i know that, i did however reply to him pointing out that it had no evidential value to our previous discussion, i think that's an ok thing to do?

Latest Discussions