Maybe once more?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been a while since I knew how anybody else trains. The biggest benefit I ever saw from tumbling on street surfaces were during a couple severe motorcycle crashes, where I should've been killed or crippled, but came out with only a few minor bruises. There was something else I saw real clearly for the first time during those crashes that was far more important than falling on hard surfaces.

I'll explain in my next post what I saw.
I am interested in your technique for your rolls from the motorcycle.

I have had one my self. She ran a read light and I hit her , tying to slow down from 33-35 and got to about 25-28 MPH.
I hit the rear of the car just behind the wheel / axle and when I realized my helmet was pushing my windshield out of the way,
I said "Tuck! Tuck ! Tuck !" to myself of course.
I did not put out any limbs, I brought them in as tight as I could.
I had discussed wits others who have lost limbs from motorcycle accidents and learned that as one slides or impacts if something is out and unable to support the force of the impact then it breaks or gets ripped off. :(
I impacted on right shoulder, mid back, left hip , left foot and then right foot hit left shin and then moment lifted my large heavy frame up and I landed it in a stand.
Quote from person nearby waiting to turn left: "Is this a movie?"
Lots of muscle and tendon injuries.
I did not crack the helmet not have ant scratches on it.
I also didn't have any scuff marks on my leather vest nor the jeans. The left boot did have a small scuff on the side of the sole of the show from the impact.
I am curious about your experiences, from a purely personal perspective.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in your technique for your rolls from the motorcycle...

I have had one my self. ...
I am curious about your experiences, from a purely personal perspective.

Rolling on roadway. Yeah, you don't want extended limbs. Because I've come off of motorcycles several times, I found that what you do before and during... separation is the most important element. I used leverage holdind the handlebars to put me into an improved position. Some people lay on part of the bike, putting it down on purpose. Some people push away from it. I think there are such extreme variables there no simple answer to leaving the bike or roll technique.

One of the bikes I had was difficult to get parts for. It had a big conical front brake that was superb, except when near freezing and a bit wet. There was a 5 point intersection I had to go thru one winter and 4 times that front brake locked up in the middle of my turn thru the intersection....the bike instantly goes down. Every time, i held on to the handlebars as the bike was going down and leveraged myself into a somersault (in the air), landing on my feet about 8-10 feet in front of the bike. ...during morning rush hour. I can't imagine what everybody thought. I picked it up, started it and went on.

I do think that basic tumbling and fall practice is important, but good general training and lots of time training is more important. Lots of calisthenics, pushups, i learded how to walk on my hands and did handstand push-ups too. Did Kundalini Yoga for flexibility, etal. Lots and lots of exercise and training. I could go from this position to a handstand without touching the ground.

a-man-with-a-bare-torso-does-yoga-in-a-fitness-roo-2022-02-23-23-52-24-utc-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's very intense, but there's a lot of exercises people can do all the time, whether sitting in the office, walking the dog , or during regular daily activities.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the first couple weeks of my training, my instructor told me, if you're walking somewhere, switch your arm movement the opposite direction every 10 steps. He wasn't telling me to do that all the time specifically. He was telling me to find things to do during every day activities to improve my coordination, strength, etc.

One of the things I concentrated on was a breathing exercise, where you put a dynamic tension between the abdominal muscles and diaphragm, and breath that way consistently and naturally. After a bit of time I was doing it up to 80% of my waking hours while doing everything. It made my mid-section very strong.

There are a bunch of things you can do during your normal activities to improve your strength, coordination and focus.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do agree with the sexy no handed roll for that reason.

Which a quick look at youtube suggests everyone goes over the head gymnast style. Which I don't do.
The roll I learned in Judo and NGA (most of our falls were Judo-derived) goes over the shoulder, with the head off-line. Students take a while to actually understand it’s not over the head. I did learn to do it with no hands. We also occasionally practiced a roll that was more sideways (something close to 45 degrees).

Still, when the hand isn’t occupied, I like the idea of the parkour roll. I think it better both absorbs the momentum and protects the head.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the first couple weeks of my training, my instructor told me, if you're walking somewhere, switch your arm movement the opposite direction every 10 steps.
Will it be better that for every 10 steps that you are walking, you do a drill such as "jab-jab-cross", or "side kick, spin back fist", or ... ?

Last edited:
OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Will it be better that for every 10 steps that you are walking, you do a drill such as "jab-jab-cross", or "side kick, spin back fist", or ... ?
So you're gonna do that walking thru the walmart or downtown? Even better, throw your jabs, crosses and kicks while walking thru a government building. I think you missed the point of that post.

I'm talking about many little things you can do anywhere and everywhere so that you can do something that has a benefit all the time...as close to 100% of your waking hours as possible. I think you have to ask yourself, is it a way of life, or maybe not.

Last edited:
OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gee, I bring up my secondard defense when I'm pouring my coffee, opening a door, reaching for an item in the store, etc. I engrain it into everything I do. When one arm is exrended, the other comes up near my throat, now completely naturally. In public nobody notices it.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I took part in this forum a bit more than two years ago, and I left. I left because you couldn't get thru a thread without somebody bringing politics into it. Yeah admittedly, I'd get sucked into it too, so I was at fault also. So I quit using this forum. My intention from the beginning and now, is to impart some of the most important things I learned from 50 years of training....I was trained specifically for street fighting and the techniques i learned from my instructor and what I picked up along the way proved to save my life on many occasion and kept me from injury. I hope some of what I learned will be helpful to a few.
A lot has changed since then. You may like it better now.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you're gonna do that walking thru the walmart or downtown? Even better, throw your jabs, crosses and kicks while walking thru a government building. I think you missed the point of that post.
It depends on where you walk. For example, if you walk on a trail like this daily.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I came back to this forum, my purpose was to discuss the mental aspects of developing human potintial. Things I've learned that have increased my abilities in a very substantial amount. So besides trying to write some thing in my blog, I've entered a few discussions and attempted to move things in that direction. I think I'm pretty lousy at that, and the blog section is pretty problematic too. Now I'm thinking it's a waste of my time and effort, as I have other things to do. I hope these discussions here helps people understand what they need, but I'm heading out, done. Good luck.

Latest Discussions