Master wong lineage

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Folks,
MartialTalk has a rule against fraudbusting. You can discuss qualifications, in a factual and non-accusatory manner. Stay objective, and support your opinion, and keep away from labeling someone a fraud.

We are, however allowed to critique a persons presentations, promos, videos, etc. from an artistic perspective. I think Wong is about the funniest guy out there. Some of his clips are hilarious. Good marketing, I'll grant him that!

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like his style too. I have never met him in person. From his clips, I can see that he understands what "combat" is all about. If all Taiji guys are taking his approach, people won't laught at Taiji that much today. I have not seen his WC clips but I have seen a lot of his Taiji clips. I like his Taiji clips better than those famous Taiji guys such as CMC, CXW, ... that can bore you to death. I can see some hope in Taiji by the way he is teaching. I had said this in another forum and I say the same in this forum too.
His Taiji videos are worse than his Wing Chun videos. I see no hope in Taiji by the way he is teaching.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess with this logic you could argue that Carlos Gracie was not qualified to teach his MA? Since he didn't train with his teacher Mitsuyo Maeda for decade(s). The Gracies openly admit that he was not taught the complete system. Since at the time the Japaneese weren't making it a habit of teaching westerners. The Gracies boast about how they changed the art into what we see today and could angurably be considered one of the most effective MA on the planet. Good thing there wasn't an internet back in the 1900's to discourage Carlos's self expression or to tell him on what he can can't do.

The difference is that Carlos Gracie wasn't claiming to teach Judo and then refusing to answer who he learned it from. Same with Bruce Lee, he said who he learned what from where etc. He didn't just "invent" Jun Fan/JKD and then make it look like he learned the system from someone and refused to say from whom.

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is very possible that it COULD be Pan nam wing chun which is very similar to the Ip Man style of wing chun. Pan nam DOES NOT USE THE TEN CONCEPTS like modified wc. So this could be a possibility. Funny, though, how he WON'T mention his lineage, almost as if he is ashamed of it. But one thing I WILL say about Master Wong. He is a great teacher, and one hell of a funny guy! You can and should use his tutorials, along with others. Not every master knows all the subtle details of wing chun, so I recommend you do as many tutorials as possible, even from modified masters like Moy Yat. Sifu Wayne Benonha has great tutorials. He is a student of Moy Yat and his techniques are pure perfection. The only thing I DON'T like about the modified style is that they use that crappy 70/30 stance instead of a 50/50. 60/40 stance they use in traditional. This causes your energy to go BACKWARDS instead of FORWARDS (Which is one of the principles of wing chun, to ALWAYS MAINTAIN FORWARD MOMENTUM), causing your energy to be overrun by your opponent very easily and also can push you backwards, off balance. I also recommend you do as much research as possible. There are books out there that will help you understand more deeply the concepts and their proper application in a fight. This is very important if you want to become a great fighter! Just stay away from ANY tutorials by Leung Ting. He is not very good and not a good teacher, even though he IS very charismatic!

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
500px-OrlyTaitzOwl.jpg

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Just stay away from ANY tutorials by Leung Ting. He is not very good and not a good teacher, even though he IS very charismatic!

*Sigh* Seven posts and already making waves.
There are many people on this forum who have trained in the Leung Ting lineage, some directly under LT himself.

One simply needs to look at a given sifu's students/grand students to see if the teacher is any good: Keith Kernspecht, Allan Fong, Emin Boztepe, Norbert Maday, Carson Lau, Victor Gutierrez, Alex Richter, Jeff Webb, Michael Casey, Cheng Chuen Fun......................................................................................................................................................

Simon lailey

White Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the day…transparency is key. if this is absent (for example: no lineage, no full name, no background) one should be wary and not be drawn in by glitz and glamour. There are so many scammers out there…and so many gullible individuals out for a quick and easy fix.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the end of the day…transparency is key. if this is absent (for example: no lineage, no full name, no background) one should be wary and not be drawn in by glitz and glamour. There are so many scammers out there…and so many gullible individuals out for a quick and easy fix.
Lineage wars are really stupid but also a lot of fun.

Chances are you're not gonna end up on the family tree in a book but if you trained well, it will pay off. To crusade on a family name is a whole thing altogether

The material is the material. In the case of Wing Chun, as always, be objective. I recommend studying at least a few other southern CMA alongside, it helps put things in their place.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recommend studying at least a few other southern CMA alongside, it helps put things in their place.
Not always an easy thing to do, since many systems are not well represented outside of Hong Kong, Southern China, and some of the larger Chinese Communities or "China Towns" around the world.

Also, most Wing Chun sifus strongly recommend against any kind of cross training so you don't get distracted and dilute your training.

Ironic, since ALL the old Chinese WC sifus I know of have at least a working knowledge of several other southern systems. ;)

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing research on master wong's w/c style. He won't say his lineage, but his movements are the same as the Pan Nam lineage movements. And yes, I am a student of his.
There is a man who trains in London but runs a BJJ academy in Portsmouth. He used to run a Wing Chun academy too, originally sticking to its very traditional style before he adapted it to a more modern version that can be used for MMA. He stopped doing Wing Chun classes, but I go to his BJJ classes when I visit down south. One of his students told me that Master Wong teaches a traditional style and that our instructor had met and trained with him several times. He didn't mention the lineage though.

Latest Discussions