Master Wong - Legit?

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I LOVE THESE IDIOTS WHO DON'T KNOW TRADITIONAL WING CHUN. YES, IT IS THE ONLY FULLY CONCEPTUAL MARTIAL ART. OTHERS MAY USE SOME CONCEPTS, BUT THEY MIX IT WITH TECHNIQUE-BASED MA'S THAT ARE STIFF AND RIGID(LIKE MODIFIED WC OR jkd). Some may use a couple of concepts, but not TEN and they DO not dictate it's proper application in a self defense or fight scenario. You idiots should do research like I have.

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Really?? I never said in this blog it was the best. Do you see "best" ANYWHERE in this comment, moron? Some may be good, but if they ever fought a real experienced fighter, they would get their *** KICKED in minutes. Modified wc and JKD are incomplete, THAT'S why it has to be supplemented with an inferior stance (standing sideways makes it easy to sweep the leg, get around you because you have a narrow profile as opposed to being square, as in REAL TRADITIONAL WING CHUN, and only allows you to use ONE LEG AND ONE ARM as opposed to two in traditional wing chun). Plus, it has to be supplemented with grappling. Traditional wing chun is complete, with standup, locks and throws, and anti-takedown and anti-takedown techniques that others JUST DON'T HAVE!

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes they are. You, being from William Cheung's lineage should know that. He did not learn the complete Chum kiu or Bil Jee forms. THAT'S why they are different than Ip Man's version. He does modified traditional, which means he does use traditional footwork, unlike modified or JKD, but does not use the stance and he does NOT maintain the triangle, which, if you REALLY ARE A TRADITIONALIST, LIKE YOU SAY (AND I DOUBT THAT!), IS one of the TEN CONCEPTS (It's called the "triangle concept", look it up!). I bet you don't even know or even heard of the ten concepts, have you?

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah? And if you train an incomplete system. You will miss out on crucial sections of wing chun, that make it COMPLETE!-ME!!

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's very possible that you are right. Pan Nam wing chun IS similar to Ip Man's and any other master does not have a problem saying who his teacher was.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
YES, IT IS THE ONLY FULLY CONCEPTUAL MARTIAL ART. OTHERS MAY USE SOME CONCEPTS, BUT THEY MIX IT WITH TECHNIQUE-BASED MA'S THAT ARE STIFF AND RIGID(LIKE MODIFIED WC OR jkd). Some may use a couple of concepts, but not TEN and they DO not dictate it's proper application in a self defense or fight scenario. You idiots should do research like I have.
You are wrong. There are other conceptual arts. You should do MORE research like many of us have. You should stop being a troll.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really?? I never said in this blog it was the best. Do you see "best" ANYWHERE in this comment, moron? Some may be good, but if they ever fought a real experienced fighter, they would get their *** KICKED in minutes. Modified wc and JKD are incomplete, THAT'S why it has to be supplemented with an inferior stance (standing sideways makes it easy to sweep the leg, get around you because you have a narrow profile as opposed to being square, as in REAL TRADITIONAL WING CHUN, and only allows you to use ONE LEG AND ONE ARM as opposed to two in traditional wing chun). Plus, it has to be supplemented with grappling. Traditional wing chun is complete, with standup, locks and throws, and anti-takedown and anti-takedown techniques that others JUST DON'T HAVE!

I just attended a seminar with multiple representatives from different parts of Bruce Lee's lineage. There were Jesse Glover students, Jim Demile students, Taky Kimura students and Danny Inosanto students. Many of them real fighters with real life conflicts under their belts. You can talk concepts and theory, but they are the experienced fighters you're talking about, and all of them say the same thing: a fight should be over in seconds, while you're talking minutes. Good luck with all that talk.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I LOVE THESE IDIOTS WHO DON'T KNOW TRADITIONAL WING CHUN. YES, IT IS THE ONLY FULLY CONCEPTUAL MARTIAL ART. OTHERS MAY USE SOME CONCEPTS, BUT THEY MIX IT WITH TECHNIQUE-BASED MA'S THAT ARE STIFF AND RIGID(LIKE MODIFIED WC OR jkd). Some may use a couple of concepts, but not TEN and they DO not dictate it's proper application in a self defense or fight scenario. You idiots should do research like I have.

Since you are newer on the boards. When responding to a specific post/person you can hit the "reply with quote" button at the bottom right of their post. It will put their post in quotes so people can see the context.

Next, before a moderator makes a warning try to tone down the name calling. We can all disagree and still be respectful about misunderstandings.

But, I would disagree with the statement that WC is the ONLY fully conceptual martial art. Aikido is all about it's principles of harmony/blending and the techniques you see are just the physical expression of those. I'm sure there are others as well (Systema maybe), but that popped into my head first.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First, why are you yelling in capital letters?... Secondly, it doesn't matter if you doubt me, I don't doubt me. And actually, I train at the north american headquarters for traditional wing chun world wing chun kung fu association. I've studied boxing, jkd and now wing chun and have been in multiple street fights. I doubt you have. Skill is internal. Don't doubt others, you already place yourself at a disadvantage.

I could actually care less what you perceive GM did or did not learn. I know what I've learned so far works. That's really all I care about. The rest of the BS is for the birds.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

You don't know anything about any of this do you

Because generally when people start making outrageous clams and yelling about it (all caps is considered yelling on a web forum) they are trying to cover up for a lack of knowledge on the subject

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Senshido.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Please enlighten us idiots of those 10 concepts you keep spoken of.

Others say they use concepts, but not ten of them and they DO not dictate application. In technique-based mas (like boxing or any boxing derivative such as muay thai or karate, even bjj), the technique dictates the response making it, like I said stiff and rigid. The ten concepts are just guidelines used to determine the proper application of the technique. This allows the traditional wc user to tailor his wing chun to his own personality, abilities and disabilities, and that of his opponent (something you CANNOT DO WITH TECHNIQUE-BASED MAS!).

Would "to tailor" implies to change or modify? What does this effect the so call "traditional" nature of you WC?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen,

MartialTalk prides itself on being a friendly place for civil discourse. Name calling and insults are not the order of the day here. Dial back the heat, and keep the discussion on a useful basis.

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is. And Master Wong certainly is capable of kicking *** also. He is one of the tutorials I recommend to teach the application side of wing chun. But first, I recommend doing tutorials from Chinaboxer. He is also excellent, and teaches the technical side, which should be learned FIRST. Also, let's not forget some of the other teachers (sifus and masters) that also have excellent tutorials.

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck with that! Trying to get incumbents out of Congress is like trying to get a tick out of your arm that buried deep inside the skin. Very tough to do!

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, I am not! Wing chun is the ONLY TRULY CONCEPTUAL martial art that uses TEN CONCEPTS as THEIR GUIDELINE TO IT'S PROPER APPLICATION IN A FIGHT OR SELF DEFENSE SCENARIO. Others may use a couple of concepts, but those also use TECHNIQUE-BASED martial arts which means, the TECHNIQUE dictates the response, NOT the ten concepts, which make it rigid and inflexible. By using the ten concepts, ALL OF THEM AT ONCE, EVERY TIME YOU USE YOUR WING CHUN, then it becomes flexible and you can tailor it to your abilities or disabilities, your personality, and most importantly, THAT OF YOU OPPONENT! I THINK YOU BETTER DO SOME MORE RESEARCH.

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Really? Well then that proves my point, doesn't it? You are NOT learning traditional, but modified. Ok, if you are using traditional, then name the ten concepts? Do you know how to use them appropriately in a fight? I bet YOU DON'T! If you have to supplement it with any other style, then it is NOT traditional! Yes skill is internal, but in the case of wing chun, it is also external. It is both! See, you DON'T know as much as you think you do, now do you? I doubt others because people like YOU make me laugh, thinking you have it figured out, when you don't. Do you know the proper stance(toes slightly pigeon-toed, knees pulled in, hips pulled in to maintain the triangle, legs adducted to strengthen the link?), proper footwork (circle inside a triangle. The circle protects the groin and the triangle puts you at the correct 45 degree angle to the OUTSIDE of your opponent's defenses?), proper way to close the distance (This is done through initial contact. When the punch or kick is thrown, contact is made through a soft block and a forward ANGLED step, using your arm as a gage to distance. This is done several times until you are close enough (2 to 4 feet, depending on your height and arm length) until one last contact is made. At this point, you make contact, entering in on an angle one more time, trapping the arm and countering. If your opponent retracts his arm, then you FOLLOW HIS CENTER OF MASS IN without hesitation (THAT is from Master Wong Shun Leung, considered on of the best fighters in the 20th century), stepping again at an angle, trapping the arm and countering. Do you follow this? If not, you are NOT doing traditional. If you leave out any one of these, then you are taking out a vital portion of wing chun that makes it work properly. And FINALLY, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, learning and using the ten concepts, which, like I said before, is the guideline to wing chun's proper application in a fight or self defense scenario. THIS IS CRUCIAL IN WING CHUN to maintain it's flexibility and with this, you can tailor your wing chun to your abilities or disabilities, your personality, and to that of your opponent, which, again, is CRUCIAL to it's proper application. Get all that? Now, you were saying? Just because you learn wing chun doesn't necessarily mean you are learning wing chun. Not the whole system, anyway. And this is very important to know to make sure you wing chun works right when you need it most, in a fight or self defense situation.

wingchunguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What?? That is ridiculous!! How did you come up with that theory? I trained with Grandmaster Cheung's top students, and let me tell you, WILLIAM CHEUNG IS NO JOKE! Every see his 54 minute tutorial on application? It is FANTASTIC and I would recommend it to EVERYBODY! This man has been doing wing chun (modified traditional, as I call it, because he did not learn the entire 2nd and 3rd form, but he knows the essence of wing chun and that has not changed. He even uses TRADITIONAL FOOTWORK, which is important in wing chun) for well over 50 years, and i think, in that time, he knows what he is doing. Just because of the incident between him and that upstart Boztepe, who basically jumped him when his back was turned, has soured many to his ways. Well don't be fooled, people. I wouldn't give you a NICKEL to learn ANYTHING from Leung Ting or Boztepe, but I would definitely pay to learn from Grandmaster William Cheung!