Master One Understand Many

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
New to WC, I don't understand all the politics esp. WC has. I remember yrs ago as a young soldier stationed in Korea. I started out learning TKD but what use to visit schools of various arts at night and learned various aspects of what other arts had to offer without being competitive. There were alot of teachers who inflicted alittle pain to prove their art was better than what I was studying to I consider it all educational.

Strictly devoted to WC, I maintain the same philosophy. WC I will master but I will also understand many.

You will never be a true representative of your art with a prejudicial, political attitude. It's a cancer than can effect what and what your teacher will teach and hold back from you. Character is paramount.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Politics doesnt really exist in wing chun. There are certain individuals in the wing chun community that annoy me because they try to make wing chun out to be more than it is, or they claim to be better than everyone else (ie have secret techniques/forms).

But even though I dont like those individuals, I wouldnt hold a prejudice or grudge against a person because they used to be a student of theirs etc

Any of you guys (except chisaoking) would be more than welcome to come train with me. Im sure the exchange would be mutual (ie I would learn as much as I gave out). I enjoy finding out about other chun schools in the UK and abroad - every federation has something different to offer.

I knwo a lot of chunners get very protective of the style they learn. My advice has always been - as long as you know WHY you are doing the technique you are doing then there is nothing wrong with it. You may find a better way in the future but that is your individual choice (it is not for someone else to tell you that your technique is rubbish etc)

I have seen guys who keep their elbow in the centre line and others who dont. But each person had a reason for doing it their way and thats great to see.

Differences in wing chun make it a far more interesting art than if it was all just the same. What a boring art it would be if it was just as simple as 'Yip Mans list of wing chun techniques' etc. I find it interesting that the Ip Man lineage has so many variances in it at all levels

Celebrate your differences, dont argue over them...

Latest Discussions