Master Michael Wong

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen this guy all over youtube.
Any thoughts of him and his techniques?

I have tried to google but can't find much in terms of background.

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score

he doesn't seem to want to give up his lineage.
i have a dvd of his. it's fun to watch but couldn't learn anything cuz it keeps freezing. lol

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe he is Yip Man lineage...But i believe Wing Chn Archives has some info on him.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe he is Yip Man lineage...But i believe Wing Chn Archives has some info on him.

Wasn't he the bloke we saw a while back in some other thread doing the Chum Kiu , and I said he was up and down like a yo yo .
Because each step he took his body went up and down .

Which in our lineage is a very big no no. What I have seen of him , I'm not impressed and the lack of detail about who he actually learnt off is a bit suss if you ask me.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey. your right. that is the same guy.

Oh Michael Wong doesn't say who his lineage is.

http://www.wcarchive.com/html/sifus/wing-chun-sifus-other.htm#Hung_Fai_Yi_and_Other_Lineageshttp://www.wcarchive.com/html/sifus/wing-chun-sifus-other.htm

Scroll down to Michael Wong.

Wasn't he the bloke we saw a while back in some other thread doing the Chum Kiu , and I said he was up and down like a yo yo .

Which in our lineage is a very big no no. What I have seen of him , I'm not impressed and the lack of detail about who he actually learnt off is a bit suss if you ask me.

Last edited:

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
he has quite a succesfull dvd franchise,nothing wong (sorry wrong) with that and i got a dvd of his gathering dust somewhere.

he comes through with quite powerfull direct attacks,and uses a lot of the wingchun techniques quite well on times.

saying that,he seems to have jumped on the wingchun dvd bandwagon,he obviously knows a bit about wingchun,but would hazzard a guess he is mostly self taught.

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score

that's a no no for us too. now i'm curious. gonna look for the chum kiu clip.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Wong also has some Jeet Kune Do DVD's as well.

he has quite a succesfull dvd franchise,nothing wong (sorry wrong) with that and i got a dvd of his gathering dust somewhere.

he comes through with quite powerfull direct attacks,and uses a lot of the wingchun techniques quite well on times.

saying that,he seems to have jumped on the wingchun dvd bandwagon,he obviously knows a bit about wingchun,but would hazzard a guess he is mostly self taught.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Michael Wong also has some Jeet Kune Do DVD's as well.

well to me jeet kune do was one mans personal expression of the martial arts so anything to do with it has changed and dont resemble the original concept,its become diluted.

micheal wong's geek kune do DVD 60 bucks

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Me I only watch his stuff on Youtube...if it aint on youtube I dont want it...But i would pay for Wong Shun Leung and Yip Man's movies.

well to me jeet kune do was one mans personal expression of the martial arts so anything to do with it has changed and dont resemble the original concept,its become diluted.

micheal wong's geek kune do DVD 60 bucks

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Me I only watch his stuff on Youtube...if it aint on youtube I dont want it...But i would pay for Wong Shun Leung and Yip Man's movies.

wong shun leung,otherwise known as Gong Sau Wong (講手王), King of Talking Hands.when you look at all the old masters yip man etc , WSL stands out.they say he was a kind unassuming man,and his wingchun was not just legend but fact.a great fighter.it was only after his death that he now recieves the credit he deserves.they treat artists the same,the work only gets reconised after they are no longer with us .its not well known, that it was wong who give bruce his learning in WC and not how its commonly believed yipman.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea I would pay $60 dollars for Wong Shun Leung books and videos.

wong shun leung,otherwise known as Gong Sau Wong (講手王), King of Talking Hands.when you look at all the old masters yip man etc , WSL stands out.they say he was a kind unassuming man,and his wingchun was not just legend but fact.a great fighter.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
have you seen the science of in fighting,and look beyond the pointing finger ?.....both WSL

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the science of in fighting is dvd,look beyond the pointing finger is a book the author is David Peterson,who has been training in the Chinese martial arts since 1973. He became a student of Sifu Wong Shun Leung after traveling to honk kong. he is noted as being one of the only students of WSL to preserve his teachings,and philosophies.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a very old videotape of Wong Shun Leung that was shot when he visited Australia to do a seminar at our Adelaide academy . The tape was a copy of a copy , so the picture quality is bad in some parts and unwatchable in others .

But it is one of my treasured possessions along with a taped seminar of Sigung Tsui , I will have to try and get them converted to dvd or on the computer or something before they deteriorate any further .

On the tape WSL demonstrates Chum Kiu and a couple of applications , The Bil Gee and the application of the Bil Gee footwork to chase somebody who keeps trying to sidestep you . He also demonstrates kicking and how important it is to maintain the angle in the leg as you raise your kick and not chamber the leg.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
the science of in fighting is dvd,look beyond the pointing finger is a book the author is David Peterson,who has been training in the Chinese martial arts since 1973. He became a student of Sifu Wong Shun Leung after traveling to honk kong. he is noted as being one of the only students of WSL to preserve his teachings,and philosophies.

It might interest you to know Skinters that I used to teach a guy when I was running a suburban branch in Sydney's outer suburbs , that lived next door to Barry Lee .

Sifu Barry Lee is also one of WSL's head men in Australia , and is married to WSL's daughter I believe. He was nicknamed " The Machine " by WSL who said that if you are hit by this man , you don't get back up .

Anyway I said to this student , what the hell are you doing learning off me for when you live next door to Barry Lee , I am a Neville Nobody compared to Barry Lee .

But the guy didn't seem to understand the importance of who he was living next to , it was sort of pre internet days and all that so he kept on learning with me . But that was years ago and I think Sifu Lee has set up an organisation in Germany now .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you ever train with the guy?

It might interest you to know Skinters that I used to teach a guy when I was running a suburban branch in Sydney's outer suburbs , that lived next door to Barry Lee .

Sifu Barry Lee is also one of WSL's head men in Australia , and is married to WSL's daughter I believe. He was nicknamed " The Machine " by WSL who said that if you are hit by this man , you don't get back up .

Anyway I said to this student , what the hell are you doing learning off me for when you live next door to Barry Lee , I am a Neville Nobody compared to Barry Lee .

But the guy didn't seem to understand the importance of who he was living next to , it was sort of pre internet days and all that so he kept on learning with me . But that was years ago and I think Sifu Lee has set up an organisation in Germany now .

Latest Discussions