Masaaki Hatsumi

shirobanryunotora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have talked with several people students and nonstudents say Hatsumi-san is the man his skill is unreal. But some of his students say he gives black belts out to shame you into training harder. Has anyone heard the same?
in a way and in short-yes he does-refer his comments in "secrets from the ninja grandmaster"with sk & r hayes:e.g.pg18-"method is referred to as sakizuke...give a person a higher rank than what he or she deserves...good way of motivating.."-this is somewhat standard jap.culture method etc and is what soke hatsumi is used to etc-also am aware he sometimes gives out grades and such as "presentos"for good deeds within bujinkan

shirobanryunotora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi to all-after reading through the comments concerning this issue am aware this is a somewhat touchy subject however the following should be kept in mind.Historically the ninja had no gradings.Am not sure whether prev.Soke Takamatsu used a grading system.From what i understand Soke Hatsumi began with something along the lines of Green or Red belt(Male or Female) for student gradings and Black Belt for Dan gradings. This then evolved into Kyu gradings for students and BB for Dans.It should be noted here too (for those who insist that Soke is "simply" fundraising etc) that the Kyu grades are rarely used in japan even though this method would increase funds for Hombu Dojo. Ok think that covers the general history. Now for my opinion on the current debate. Does Soke H. give grades to encourage growth into that grade? Yes. Does Soke H. give grades as "presentos"? Yes. Does Soke H. give grades to raise funds? Yes. Does Soke H. give grades to those at that level? Yes. So,as can be seen Soke Hatsumi gives grades for many reasons. All those debating the issue are correct from each particular perspective and yet not correct overall.In other words we are all chasing our tails whilst headbutting the wall.This issue is present in many martial arts.On a personal level we would all like to think or believe our grade is deserved.From others perspective this may not be the case.Is there a final word that can be SPOKEN to resolve this issue? No, there is no such word.We must accept the decision of Soke and continue training.If we cannot accept Soke's decision then stop training. His reasons are many and his to make.The continued growth of ninpo appears to be the final reason.I can live with that.NINPO IKKAN.

Last edited:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
(for those who insist that Soke is "simply" fundraising etc) that the Kyu grades are rarely used in japan even though this method would increase funds for Hombu Dojo.

A minor point here, and without being judgemental: how long does it take to get the Bujinkan BB in Japan?

I've heard figures of 1 - 2 years being realistic. If this is true then it doesn't really make sense to run through 10 kyu levels in that time. It would mean 1 exam ever month and a half. That really doesn't make sense. Especially since there is no fixed curriculum so there is nothing tangible to distinguish the test for 4 months vs the test for 6 months. and kyu levels are much less expensive than BB levels, so from a monetary pov, having no kyu levels and 15 dan levels makes the most sense for raising money.

Again, not making a judgement here. Just pointing out that the lack of kyu levels does not mean anything, one way or another, regarding that specific point of the argument.

shirobanryunotora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A minor point here, and without being judgemental: how long does it take to get the Bujinkan BB in Japan?

I've heard figures of 1 - 2 years being realistic. If this is true then it doesn't really make sense to run through 10 kyu levels in that time. It would mean 1 exam ever month and a half. That really doesn't make sense. Especially since there is no fixed curriculum so there is nothing tangible to distinguish the test for 4 months vs the test for 6 months. and kyu levels are much less expensive than BB levels, so from a monetary pov, having no kyu levels and 15 dan levels makes the most sense for raising money.

Again, not making a judgement here. Just pointing out that the lack of kyu levels does not mean anything, one way or another, regarding that specific point of the argument.
Hmm-not sure-guess each case would have to be looked at individually-the grading time would be up to Soke Hatsumi(or whoever doing the grading)-was just trying to emphasize that kyu gradings are not often done in japan and so whilst they could raise funds if used they tend not to be-yep understand about higher costs for BB being more cost effective so to speak-as for my BB-i sat for it after i think two months in japan and some 6+yrs in oz with Ed Lomax(also 2?seminars with W.Roy/S.Revnak and lil training with Andrew MacDonald etc)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions