Martial Talk's GMA Martial Arts Lineages

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys please understand that lineages are important mainly because it weeds out the McDojo's that are out there. And ya know there are ALOT of them.
first you would have to define a Mcdojo. however i can name quite a few schools that would deserve that name and they are from authentic okinawan linages. i could also name a few that the teachers came from mcdojos that are actually ok. lineages mean nothing. you could have trained under Mas Oyama , Funikoshi and Miyomoto Musashi but if you suck you suck.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
aaahhh I see you are a Judoka.... Kodokan???

Nope, what difference does it make anyways?

And this is exactly the issue I have with thinking lineage is important, instead of actually discussing the matter you whip out a tape measure and look for something unrelated to the issue to measure.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nope, what difference does it make anyways?

And this is exactly the issue I have with thinking lineage is important, instead of actually discussing the matter you whip out a tape measure and look for something unrelated to the issue to measure.

so what is it that you teach exactly? and dont go say "mma"

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
first you would have to define a Mcdojo. however i can name quite a few schools that would deserve that name and they are from authentic okinawan linages. i could also name a few that the teachers came from mcdojos that are actually ok. lineages mean nothing. you could have trained under Mas Oyama , Funikoshi and Miyomoto Musashi but if you suck you suck.
yea thats true if you suck... you suck!

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Internet -> me. I have mastered being a keyboard warrior.

BJJ. Carlson Gracie -> Helio Gracie -> Rickson Gracie -> Takamasa Watanabe -> Rodrigo Taniguti -> me (blue belt) My current school is run by Nova Uniao black belts. The head instructor is Leandro Nyza of the Luiz Franca/Oswaldo Fadda lineage with me primarily learning under Jay Penn... honestly not sure who gave him his black belt. Hopefully I'll eventually get my purple from one of these guys.

nice... Ive been thinking about going into BJJ myself... theres savarese BJJ who's under rafael lovato jr. in nj

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, I was hoping for a thread that we could see peoples lineage and maybe see whose lineages intersect and who are connected by a common instructor.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Man, I was hoping for a thread that we could see peoples lineage and maybe see whose lineages intersect and who are connected by a common instructor.

I was hoping that as well.... but some here are like "we dont care abotu lineages" etc etc "you should know what works". ALot of people dont get to "know" what works because most have never been in dire situations.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys please understand that lineages are important mainly because it weeds out the McDojo's that are out there. And ya know there are ALOT of them.

In addition to the several other people that quoted you...

What if the lineage is McDojo lineage? Does it not stop McDojos?

There's no shortage of people willing to "sell out;" McDojos are around for a reason - there's a supply and just as importantly a demand. People will lower their standards and sell rank to keep the doors open, put food on the table, a nice car in a nice driveway of a nice house, etc. And there are people who have no work ethic and would rather be handed something they can artificially make themselves feel good about rather than earn it the hard way. Many people want the trophy for a display item, rather than actually having to earn it.

Who am I to make the rules that ban McDojos? Live and let live. The 3 McDojos I pass along the way to my dojo have zero bearing on what goes on in my training.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I spent several hours yesterday and this morning, but I gave up trying to trace my Karate lineage. Too much of a hodgepodge to trace accurately. We have a lot of boxing theory and technique, so I suppose that could be traced back to England, or maybe the ancient Greeks. Some of my Karate instructors trace back to Okinawa, some to Japan, some to Korea, some to the Philippines, some to God knows where.

I'm just a mutt.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I spent several hours yesterday and this morning, but I gave up trying to trace my Karate lineage. Too much of a hodgepodge to trace accurately. We have a lot of boxing theory and technique, so I suppose that could be traced back to England, or maybe the ancient Greeks. Some of my Karate instructors trace back to Okinawa, some to Japan, some to Korea, some to the Philippines, some to God knows where.

I'm just a mutt.

Is that why you claim to be "the bastard son of American Martial Arts?"

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmmm. Judo
Yoshio Katsuta -Mas Takahashi-Derek Robertson-me.

Yoshio Katsuta came to Canada in 1934 as a 4th Dan, had trained at the Kodokan, but no reference to who his instructors were. he passed away as a 6th Dan in 1997. Mas Takahashi is a 8th dan in Kodokan judo.

Can-ryu jiu-jitsu Georges Sylvain-founder-John Therien-me. Of course I trained under many instructors under John Therien and even took a few classes from Georges Sylvain. I can trace his studies before forming the art in the 1960's

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Combatives is more difficult to trace lineage. Do have one cool lineage that goes back to the 1908 Olympics.
S.V.Bacon- Stan "Sonny " Bissell-Ben Temkin-Matt Temkin - me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I'm just a mutt.

If you really get into Lineages in Chinese martial arts, they go back a long long way, get rather complicated and at some point hard to prove.

Taijiquan is. by many, believed to go back to a mystical monk named Zhang Sanfeng. But if you want to trace it from now to him (if he existed) there will be big gaps and incredibly long branches away from Taiji because the Chen family knew a martial art before they allegedly developed Taijiquan. And it is thought it was likely a Paoqui, and that if that is the case it is very possible it came from Shaolin. So you are better of not going back to far.

In my lineage I could have also thrown in TKD to General Choi and Jujutsu to some unknown guy in Japan, then goto my first shifu...I have no idea who in China to link any of the arts I learned from him to, heck I even did a little time in a Fred Villari school. Too much to keep track of.... I stick with the Taiji lineage from Tnug Ying Chieh, I'm in it and it is easier :)

So you're not alone in this messed up lineage thing, that's for sure.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Korean Karate

Atlee Chittim-->David Jordan-->Buster Cotten--> my son.

Chittim studied under Korean instructors in Korea during the Korean War and sponsored Jhoon Rhee to come to America in 1956.

I would be interested to see if anyone else here traces back to Chittim.

Also, Jhoon Rhee taught under the name Korean Karate, Tang Soo Do, and TKD at different times so it would be interesting if anyone else traces back to him and what style they use.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Combatives is more difficult to trace lineage. Do have one cool lineage that goes back to the 1908 Olympics.
S.V.Bacon- Stan "Sonny " Bissell-Ben Temkin-Matt Temkin - me.

I can check when I have time if you want!

Latest Discussions