Martial Sacrilege (part 1)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no and that's part of the problem with ma, its SHOULD Indicate a high degree of ability, but broken down has beens being BLACKBELTS, just brings the whole thing into disrepute
Only if you have the arrogance to believe that you can dictate what "black belt" means.

I still maintain that it means only what the instructor or certifying body says that it means and nothing else to anyone else.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah...in much of the more popular martial arts in contrast to the "black belt as master" stereotype, the black belt usually indicates the wearer is "competent" in a system's/style's "fundamental technique and principles". A bit away from mastery or expert.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only if you have the arrogance to believe that you can dictate what "black belt" means.

I still maintain that it means only what the instructor or certifying body says that it means and nothing else to anyone else.
i can't change any thing about it, but i can certainly give my view
, I'm suspecting that the people complain about my view are themselves at the stage where they are going backwards rather than progressing with their ability. So they have an investment in the,status staying the same

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no and that's part of the problem with ma, its SHOULD Indicate a high degree of ability, but broken down has beens being BLACKBELTS, just brings the whole thing into disrepute , of course you can argue as you have that they can be instructors, which they can, but they should have a rank other than black belt, as it demeans other black dots if they can't do spining kicks or what ever.
as i suggested, black belt ( retired) is one solution,with a stripe on the belt to indicate such.

instead of the infirmed keep getting honour ranks that make it even more ridiculass
No. It SHOULD mean what the people involved agree for it to mean. Nothing more and nothing less. You believe it brings disrepute, because you believe their rank is supposed to mean something it does not. Since nobody at their school, in their association, or even in related arts will be confused about that point, I suggest they all know approximately what it means, which means the symbol serves the intended function.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. You are steadfastly insisting on your definition of what a "black belt" is, firmly linked to current capability. ...apparently based on years of watching Shaw Brothers kung fu flicks.

I'm suspecting that the people complain about my view are themselves at the stage where they are going backwards rather than progressing with their ability. So they have an investment in the,status staying the same
Yeah, yeah, yeah. What do you call a 90-year-old gimply Golden Gloves? A Golden Gloves.

What really happened is that you have staked out a position which you are now finding harder and harder to honestly and logically defend.

It's actually kinda funny.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
, I'm suspecting that the people complain about my view are themselves at the stage where they are going backwards rather than progressing with their ability. So they have an investment in the,status staying the same
And if you gave your view as how you prefer, how you wish it was, or what you originally thought it meant, that would be solid communication, and would leave room for debate (I might even support some of the thoughts). Suggesting your view is how it "should" be is more than a bit arrogant, IMO.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. You are steadfastly insisting on your definition of what a "black belt" is, firmly linked to current capability. ...apparently based on years of watching Shaw Brothers kung fu flicks.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. What do you call a 90-year-old gimply Golden Gloves? A Golden Gloves.

What really happened is that you have staked out a position which you are now finding harder and harder to honestly and logically defend.

It's actually kinda funny.
of course I'm steadfastly insisting my view is correct, its my view and i believe it to be,correct or it wouldn't be my view?????

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
of course I'm steadfastly insisting my view is correct, its my view and i believe it to be,correct or it wouldn't be my view?????
Except that you're implying it's the only correct view for others to hold. That's where your argument goes awry.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if you gave your view as how you prefer, how you wish it was, or what you originally thought it meant, that would be solid communication, and would leave room for debate (I might even support some of the thoughts). Suggesting your view is how it "should" be is more than a bit arrogant, IMO.
as above, i only have views that are how i believe things should be.

I'm quite probably not going to reach black belt, before the hour glass runs out, i can't keep improving my fitness year on year at my age, so we are left with the situation that i reach a middling rank but am far more capable than a black belt who doesn't work on his fitness as much as i do, that can't be a good thing

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
STILL A BLACK BELT! YAY!

a6cf3b56a43fd6e618bec09d60b57866--white-lotus-kung-fu.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as above, i only have views that are how i believe things should be.

I'm quite probably not going to reach black belt, before the hour glass runs out, i can't keep improving my fitness year on year at my age, so we are left with the situation that i reach a middling rank but am far more capable than a black belt who doesn't work on his fitness as much as i do, that can't be a good thing
Sure it can. If I am still teaching when I'm 70, I'd hope my middle-rank students can keep up with me, and some should be able to best me. That's a good thing, IMO. Heck, I have one now who can give me a decent run in open sparring, based on his past experience and the fact that his fitness is currently better than mine (too much time off with my injuries this year).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except that you're implying it's the only correct view for others to hold. That's where your argument goes awry.
no your infering that, I'm stating my view robustly, i can do nothing about your view, other than point out the logical inconsistence in it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no your infering that, I'm stating my view robustly, i can do nothing about your view, other than point out the logical inconsistence in it
Where's a logical inconsistency? You've done no pointing to such.

As for infering vs. implying, your choice of "should" and arguing the meaning (rather than accepting that not everyone uses the meaning you assert as correct), as well as the tone of your posts, provides the implication.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go easy on him, guys, he's probably a Millennial, convinced that the world is how they think it should be not how it is.
no im a 60s child convinced that that the world in general and ma black belts have got it wrong

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where's a logical inconsistency? You've done no pointing to such.

As for infering vs. implying, your choice of "should" and arguing the meaning (rather than accepting that not everyone uses the meaning you assert as correct), as well as the tone of your posts, provides the implication.
and you are Infering what you want from my posts and then arguing with a strawman ( again) I'm not implying anything, I'm stating the facts as i see them

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and you are I getting what you want from my posts and then arguing with a strawman ( again) I'm not implying anything, I'm stating the facts as i see them
Show where I'm misrepresenting your argument in a material fashion.

Latest Discussions