Martial Arts Weapon Possession Can Be A Felony

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is something I have mentioned from time to time. While many of us as martial artists also choose to train with traditional martial arts weapons, some states and some municipalities prohibit such possession, or prohibit possession depending on circumstances.

It is worthwhile to get your learn on - find out what the laws are where you live - if you choose to carry martial arts weapons on your person or in your vehicle.

http://www.record-bee.com/article/NQ/20170117/NEWS/170119896

Use of a controlled substance — misdemeanor. Petty theft — misdemeanor. Concealed firearm — misdemeanor. Possession of Nunchaku — felony.

Do not adjust your newspaper, that is not a typo; nunchaku can put you in prison, if they don’t put you in the hospital first.

Around 10 a.m. Monday morning, Lakeport Police arrested resident Jayson Danning for probation violation. After a quick search, Lakeport Police Officer Joe Medici found a pair of nunchaku in Danning’s possession. The find effectively boosted Danning’s bail from $5,000 to $15,000.

Just a few hours later, Taliaalene Correia was arrested in Nice due in part to the possession of a concealed firearm and metal knuckles. The combined bail for these violations amounted to $10,000.

“It’s a joke,” said seventh-degree black-belt Fred Langston, who said the possession of nunchaku is far from dangerous behavior. “This is a pretty ridiculous law.”

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In England I'd like to think we are more sensible than that. While Nunchaku do come under the "dangerous objects" category, if you can prove that you are using them for training, educational or professional purposes then you shouldn't have a problem carrying them around.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In England I'd like to think we are more sensible than that. While Nunchaku do come under the "dangerous objects" category, if you can prove that you are using them for training, educational or professional purposes then you shouldn't have a problem carrying them around.

Our laws for such things typically are not national in scope. As the US is a collection of supposedly-sovereign states, each state has their own laws regarding things like this. And even beyond that, cities are able to have their own set of rules.

Ultimately, the take-away is that it is up to each martial artist to do their own research and find out what's legal where they live (or where they intend to travel). As they say around here, "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned the only dangerous thing about nunchaku is the prospect of accidentally knocking yourself out with them.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious as to the rationale behind prohibiting nunchaku.

Maybe it's because their only purpose is to hurt other humans? But then what about "tactical" stuff?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Maybe it's because their only purpose is to hurt other humans? But then what about "tactical" stuff?

Did you read the story?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It goes back to a time when they showed up a lot in movies. People who had no idea about them become worried about the potential for mass carnage by rogue ninjas, and started outlawing things in those movies. No, seriously, that's pretty much what happened.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It goes back to a time when they showed up a lot in movies. People who had no idea about them become worried about the potential for mass carnage by rogue ninjas, and started outlawing things in those movies. No, seriously, that's pretty much what happened.

Pretty much. During the age of 'dojo challenges' and 'Count Dante' and so on, every day citizens thought that people who trained in martial arts routinely invaded other dojos and attacked with weapons. Some did...LOL.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So you're saying I can't walk down the street looking like this using my Guandao as a walking stick then :D

guanyu.jpg

Sorry Bill, I read the story, I just could not resist

I am surprised that chuks were the ones the focues on though when there were swords, staves, and a martial arts armory there as well

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like how the author correctly spelled the word "nunchaku" once and then referred to them as nunchucks for the rest of the article.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah, Okinawan headache Sticks.

There is no stead fast rule, nationally. Like Bill said, it varies from state to state. But there are also vagaries in each state and circumstance.
In some states - Today, nunchaku sticks are widely used in the martial arts to build up dexterity, timing, mind and body coordination and aids in developing a larger sphere of consciousness around an individual.[6] Larue (A Martial arts Instructor) testified that in the martial arts, nunchaku sticks are not designed as a weapon to be used against another human being.

(Yeah, right.) But I would have said the same thing.

Here in Hawaii, a nuncahuka case already went to the state Supreme Court, setting precedent. They're okay. But if you're at the Airport in Hawaii, going through TSA, they are okay to travel in checked bags, but not okay in carry on bags. What might happen if found in your carry on bag, could depend on the circumstances, and/or the officer who discovers them. I would imagine there could be problems in whatever state your plane lands in, if they were discovered - but I don't know.

I occasionally work the TSA checkpoint, I'm actually scheduled to work it today (might change by the time I get there, though) but I'll check with the poobahs and see what other info I can get.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone actually train with them? I mean in the serious sort of way, not just teenagers and adults-who-still-live-in-moms-basement showboating?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually train with them? I mean in the serious sort of way, not just teenagers and adults-who-still-live-in-moms-basement showboating?
I did. It was part of the curriculum I trained under. I don't teach them, though. I may change my mind on that if I can work out how to teach skills that are generally adaptable from them.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

LOL.... notice the spelling. He should know better.

For the first time Master Tatum has given out his insights on fighting with the Nunchuka. It is all inspiration to see what can truly be done with the weapon while using Kenpo's Concepts and Principles. The Speed alone will transfix you to the screen as you watch Master Tatum show you the quickness methods to master this weapon. You will learn how to integrate your hands and feet (all your natural weapons) with the Nunchuka. This is some of Master Tatum's finest work.

THESE ARE REQUIRED FORMS AND TECHNIQUES FOR THOSE OF YOU TAKING MASTER TATUM'S HOME STUDY COURSE.
Nunchaka's with Master Tatum DVD
$39.00
Quantity

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you read the story?

I admit I hadn't read the full article. So it's because of the ninja craze? Weird.

Here you can't even buy, sell, make or have them, even in private. So if you want to practice your style, even in a dojo, you'll need to break the law.

I'm not so sure about the lack of efficiency of nunchaku as weapons. Those guys seem to pack a punch and that stuff would come flying at you from weird angles at insane speed:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't even get me started..in Massachusetts where I live it was Ted Kennedy that politically pushed the martial arts weapons ban. (Didn't read the article yet but will) to me it was too fold issue, the ninja craze exposed kids to martial art weapons and you could purchase them through the mail. It was the mail delivery that set things in motion. Logic would tell you 12 year Olds don't typically have credit cards to order this stuff but hey why use logic when your up for re election.

Sorry Democrats I danced a jig and sang a song the day Ted Kennedy died.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't even get me started..in Massachusetts where I live it was Ted Kennedy that politically pushed the martial arts weapons ban. (Didn't read the article yet but will) to me it was too fold issue, the ninja craze exposed kids to martial art weapons and you could purchase them through the mail. It was the mail delivery that set things in motion. Logic would tell you 12 year Olds don't typically have credit cards to order this stuff but hey why use logic when your up for re election.

Sorry Democrats I danced a jig and sang a song the day Ted Kennedy died.

An evil son a B if there ever was one. I'm sure he's looking up at us now, still looking to screw innocents.

A jig, bro, I Watusied my feet off the day he died.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironically, some martial arts weapons were created from more mundane, daily items because martial arts weapons were illegal.

Latest Discussions