Martial arts take a Western turn

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have always harbored an interest in westsern martial arts, but that article really piques my curiosity...

Great find!
I see you're in NY. There are some really great WMA clubs, schools, and salles in the NYS and in NYC.

If you're interested in Classical/Historic Fencing (excluding Longsword, ims) then you can't go wrong with the Martinez Academy of Arms right there in NYC. Maestros Ramone Marninez and [SIZE=-1]Jeannette Acosta-Martinez, as well as Jared Kirby (also a leading authority - I think he will teach Longsword if you ask) teach there. Tell them Kirk Lawson says, "hello." ([/SIZE]http://www.martinez-destreza.com/)
[SIZE=-1]
I especially like to watch Maestro Martinez fence in the Destreza style. He's so freaking smooth and effortless doing it. Dwight McClemore calles it the "just die" style. 'Ya got no chance, so just die.'

People with an FMA background often like the Destreza (Spanish Circle) style because of similarities in conceptual footwork, but I suspect could have conflicts with previous training. Just a guess.

I'm pretty sure that ARMA (Association of Renaisance Martial Arts) has a chapter in NY.

Some googling around should find some more. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

[/SIZE]

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is always refreshing to see the WMA begin to get the publicity that alluded it for so long. Although the focus for now is on Medieval & Renaissance, one needs to keep in mind that Longswords and Rapiers etc. are but one aspect of this very, Very rich field. 17th, 18th, and 19th century and their associated weapons and fighting methods are out there too, being taught in seminars. The recent surge in the publications of old fight manuals are also adding to the resurgence. Everything is there particularly when in comes to looking at the migration of fighting techniques that came to the American continent. Both dueling, backwoods fighting and navel boarding actions are some of the exciting diversity that this field has to offer.
On the down side, there is a tendency to become so involved with recreating a martial technique as it was historically done that the aspects of the real world can be missed. UTube has a great mixture of 'garbage' and 'great' WMA approaches.

Best
Dwight

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, speak of the Devil! :) How are ya doing?

It is always refreshing to see the WMA begin to get the publicity that alluded it for so long. Although the focus for now is on Medieval & Renaissance, one needs to keep in mind that Longswords and Rapiers etc. are but one aspect of this very, Very rich field. 17th, 18th, and 19th century and their associated weapons and fighting methods are out there too, being taught in seminars.
Absolutely!

I don't mess with Longswords and the one time I picked up a "pokey sword" was at an ISMAC class a few years back linking the Smallsword and Pugilism. I liked it but was really a fish out of water with the pokey sword.

I've been contemplating getting Jared or someone aside next ISMAC and having a private on the Messer. From some of the reading that I've been able peice together it looks like a lot of it would transfer directly to Bowie.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kirk: I've got to go into surgery tomorrow to have an old hernia injury re-repaired. When I saw your name I thought this might be a good thing to occupy my time till the doc says I can start moving aggresively again. I had planned to not post much on these forums anymore, but while I'm laid-up it is a choice of either this or watching Zatochi or MSNBC and Morning Joe. I'm afraid this has got me off the ISMAC and Shenandoah seminars this year too. Will miss you guys.

Trust me you won't waste your time with the 'pokey swords'. Messer is worth your time too. I still fool-around with it quite a bit and there is lots of carry-over to other weapons. Jared is good with this. I had a session with Paul McDonald (Jared's mentor) several years back and the footwork is a bit different but again good material. Dancing with Steel is supposed to come out in the July time fame and I got a contract on the Staff book too. I'm getting some pressure to do another tomahawk book so who knows. I no longer teach regular classes anymore but plan to spend more time attending rather than teaching after I'm back on my feet. Time, Tides, and Gas prices are getting in the way for these weekend trips.

Again, I can't express how glad it is too see the WMA grow. It's sometimes hard to believe that I was there in the early beginnings. The growth of WMA websites is really amazing. Finally got around to reading Elliot Gorn's article on 'Rough & Tumble' fighting in the 18th and 19th Century (on the Journal of the Manly Arts site)
Really worthwhile in understanding what drove that type of fighting....good insights into the techniques of Eye-Gouging.

Best
Dwight

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Kirk: I've got to go into surgery tomorrow to have an old hernia injury re-repaired. When I saw your name I thought this might be a good thing to occupy my time till the doc says I can start moving aggresively again. I had planned to not post much on these forums anymore, but while I'm laid-up it is a choice of either this or watching Zatochi or MSNBC and Morning Joe. I'm afraid this has got me off the ISMAC and Shenandoah seminars this year too. Will miss you guys.
Well we'll sure miss you. I'm still trying to carve out enough time from my family to get a visit out to you. Might be able to do it this summer if you're up to it by then. 'Course I can't say anything with any certainty. When it comes to my family, I'm a big ol' teddy bear.

Trust me you won't waste your time with the 'pokey swords'.
If I ever decide to take up pokey swords I'll either go with Swetnam's Rapier - the sneakiness of it appeals to me - or I'll go look up Maestro Martinez. I love watching him handle the Rapier.

Messer is worth your time too. I still fool-around with it quite a bit and there is lots of carry-over to other weapons. Jared is good with this. I had a session with Paul McDonald (Jared's mentor) several years back and the footwork is a bit different but again good material.
That seals it. I'm definitely going to have to spend some more time exploring Messer.

I remember the first time I met Paul. It was my first ISMAC and this thin, whip-cord, fella dressed in an all black fencing uniform sits down beside me on a pic-nic table as I'm watching a Rapier class held outside (I think it was Stephan's "Meyer's Rapier" class). I introduced myself and I hear this thick Scotch accent, "Oh, so you're the "Rabid Weasel!" And then when I took his Singlestick class, I recall him poking gentle fun at me for my rather sub-par home-made singlesticks (again in that Scotch brogue), "It's called 'Singlestick', noh 'Single-twig'." HAHAHAHAHA Classic.

Dancing with Steel is supposed to come out in the July time fame and I got a contract on the Staff book too. I'm getting some pressure to do another tomahawk book so who knows.
Hey that's great! I'll have some more stuff to add to my Christmass list. :)

I finally broke down and wrote that book on the grappling in classic pugilism that I've been threatening to for a few years now. http://www.lulu.com/content/1374565

And that's on top of republishing antique WMA manuals: http://stores.lulu.com/lawson

I kinda hope that by my republishing these manuals it promotes WMA. I'm not sure if it does but they're usually well recieved whenever I put another one out.

I no longer teach regular classes anymore but plan to spend more time attending rather than teaching after I'm back on my feet. Time, Tides, and Gas prices are getting in the way for these weekend trips.
Hey, that's what retirement is about! It's not about "not working" but rather being able to CHOOSE when, where, and what to do.

Again, I can't express how glad it is too see the WMA grow. It's sometimes hard to believe that I was there in the early beginnings. The growth of WMA websites is really amazing. Finally got around to reading Elliot Gorn's article on 'Rough & Tumble' fighting in the 18th and 19th Century (on the Journal of the Manly Arts site)
Really worthwhile in understanding what drove that type of fighting....good insights into the techniques of Eye-Gouging.
I can't begin to express how grateful I am at all those who've gone before who made it a lot easier for me to be involved. I have a very special place in my heart for you for your Bowie contribution and to Ken for his stick and pugilism influence.

Well, I'm glad to have been able to provide a little distraction for you. Will keep you in my prayers.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions