Martial arts query, striking v grappling?

Ed 209

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently doing both taekwondo and judo. Think it's a nice blend doing striking and a grappling martial art. I'm 37 and quite a big build think I'm suited more to grappling. Should I take up jiujitsu instead and ditch the other two? Is it better just to focus on one martial art?
Thanks

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems doing both because both are so very different. Ask your Taekwondo teacher if he /she teachings any taekwondo grappling techniques. There may be some techniques that will help you depending on what they teach at your taekwondo school.

When it comes to judo and grappling in general, being big doesn't have the same advantage as it does with striking. Judo and Jiujitsu are similar so it'll just depend on what you are looking to get out of it. Make sure your Taekwondo school trains using punches and not just the sport Taekwondo which is highly focused on kicks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm currently doing both taekwondo and judo. Think it's a nice blend doing striking and a grappling martial art.
What may be the missing elements if you try to integrate your TKD and Judo? Who will help you to "use punches to set up clinch"? Will that be your TKD instructor's job, or will that be your Judo instructor's job?

Last edited:
OP
E

Ed 209

White Belt
Reaction score
Why not do all three?
Hi, I'd like to do them all but there's drawbacks such as time to do all 3 and money. I'd really like to try the jiujitsu cause I hear so many good things about it but I also hear that it's a martial art that should be tried on it's own

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to do them all but there's drawbacks such as time to do all 3 and money. I'd really like to try the jiujitsu cause I hear so many good things about it but I also hear that it's a martial art that should be tried on it's own

I disagree

I've always been a firm believer than one should train in both a striking and a grappling art if they have the means to.

When doing both you'll start to see similar situatoins and positions and many things, like an understanding of body positioning,anatomy, and leverage will really start to have positive effects on both.

The only caveat would be if you were competing regularly with dreams of nationals and beyond.

That said, were I you I would drop judo and study BJJ. A lot of the submissions will feel familiar, you wont magically forget your throws or takedowns and can still work them, you'll most likely get to work with wrestlers and MMA guys(will will be more than willing to help you blend tkd and BJJ even more as well as exposing you to more fighting styles helping your adaptibility), and you'll have the focus on groundfighting that comes with BJJ.

BJJ is a good grappling style, but I personally feel its one of the best complement arts due to the fact that it fits nearly every other background without having to worry about confusing overlaps (i.e. we had a lady who could kick the hell out of the bag the way she was taught in her CMA, but not the thai way)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing both taekwondo and judo. Think it's a nice blend doing striking and a grappling martial art. I'm 37 and quite a big build think I'm suited more to grappling. Should I take up jiujitsu instead and ditch the other two? Is it better just to focus on one martial art?
Thanks
What sort of jiujitsu? Japanese, Brazilian? What particular style if Japanese? You've kind of asked "should I stop my martial arts to do martial arts..."

OP
E

Ed 209

White Belt
Reaction score
I disagree

I've always been a firm believer than one should train in both a striking and a grappling art if they have the means to.

When doing both you'll start to see similar situatoins and positions and many things, like an understanding of body positioning,anatomy, and leverage will really start to have positive effects on both.

The only caveat would be if you were competing regularly with dreams of nationals and beyond.

That said, were I you I would drop judo and study BJJ. A lot of the submissions will feel familiar, you wont magically forget your throws or takedowns and can still work them, you'll most likely get to work with wrestlers and MMA guys(will will be more than willing to help you blend tkd and BJJ even more as well as exposing you to more fighting styles helping your adaptibility), and you'll have the focus on groundfighting that comes with BJJ.

BJJ is a good grappling style, but I personally feel its one of the best complement arts due to the fact that it fits nearly every other background without having to worry about confusing overlaps (i.e. we had a lady who could kick the hell out of the bag the way she was taught in her CMA, but not the thai way)

That's an excellent answer thanks. So you reckon for sure that BJJ complements a striking art more than judo does?

OP
E

Ed 209

White Belt
Reaction score
What sort of jiujitsu? Japanese, Brazilian? What particular style if Japanese? You've kind of asked "should I stop my martial arts to do martial arts..."
Hi I meant brazilian jj

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's an excellent answer thanks. So you reckon for sure that BJJ complements a striking art more than judo does?

Yes, a lot of the submissions in Judo found their way into BJJ. Some of the takedowns as well, many TKD places even teach takedowns from judo since the shared lineage.

Plus you'll get the added benefit of a style focusing on Newaza, which while judo has a great deal of, it isnt nearly as focused as BJJ

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's good to have experience in both striking and grappling arts. If you are enjoying your TKD, there's no reason to quit that.

As far as BJJ vs Judo, for me it would depend on the instructor and the school. I'm a BJJ guy, but there are some Judo instructors I would rather learn from than some BJJ instructors. If you like the schools equally, then you could try some BJJ and see if you have a personal preference for one art over the other.

I'm being a bit of a hypocrite, since I've been slacking off on my striking training (boxing & Muay Thai) the last few years in order to focus on all the stuff I still have to learn about grappling. On the other hand, I have spent enough years on my stand-up striking to have a solid base on that side of things.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think if you're enjoying judo and tkd, why ess with a good thing? Judo is great, and if you ever decide to pick up bjj, you'll have a terrific foundation. If you want to pick up bjj now, go for it, but I'd encourage you to avoid the grass is greener syndrome.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is that time thing. Only so many hours in a day isn't a realistic statement as it applies to training. It should be - there's only so many available hours in a day.

There's also that money thing. If dojos didn't charge - there wouldn't be many dojos. For the rich, easy peasy. For the not so rich, we do what we can.

It then comes down to the what you like and what you feel good actually doing thing.

OP
E

Ed 209

White Belt
Reaction score
I think if you're enjoying judo and tkd, why ess with a good thing? Judo is great, and if you ever decide to pick up bjj, you'll have a terrific foundation. If you want to pick up bjj now, go for it, but I'd encourage you to avoid the grass is greener syndrome.

That's a very good point, I feel like I may be missing out on the bjj cause it's growing so rapidly in popularity. Even the likes of conor mcgregor who's known mainly for his striking is also a big jiujitusu nut