Martial Arts Needs perfecting

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Mr. Parsons, that was a direct quote from AvPKenpo's post but I failed to attribute it. I've been typing all day (for work) and my fingers are tired!

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Talk is cheap. I like that judo kid. Oh the bravery of the young. You asked a question earlier. " Can you take someone out with two hits, be my guest and try." Now see I have been in two real fights. In one a knife was pulled on me. The second there was more than one person against me. Now see judo kid all of that bravery is thrown out the window in circumstances like these. If you can find the man that I struck in the throat and made him pass out, maybe you can ask him if one or two strikes can do the trick. His friends seemed to momentarily forget about me as he crumpled. You know what I did judo kid, I didn't dance around like a UFC champ after my victory either. You know what I did? I ran. I ran so no one could pull a gun or a knife on me. I ran so the cops would not have to take my word over theirs and I end up in jail for using excessive force. I will not bore you with the details of the fight where the knife was pulled on me. Just believe that you better hope you know a little more than how to grapple and how to box if you are ever unfortunate enough to have this happen to you.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

Sorry Mr. Parsons, that was a direct quote from AvPKenpo's post but I failed to attribute it. I've been typing all day (for work) and my fingers are tired!

Arnisador,

No Apology required, Like I Said, I needed to clarify my stance.

Rich

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by eternalwhitebelt

In one a knife was pulled on me. The second there was more than one person against me.

I've had both of these happen in the same fight--and as a slow runner I was reluctant to try running (they were after my ca$h and likely to follow).

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is drifting a bit, but I thought I'd mention it because I didn't get it right away. When you're sprinting and trying to run fast, you want to stay on your toes and not let your heels touch the ground. You'll run faster this way. If you look at track sprinters' shoes you'll see that they only have spikes on the toes. That's because they don't use their heels when they run. When I was doing track back in high school, the coaches had me trying lots of events to see where I'd be best. I didn't learn until after this little test period that you're supposed to stay on your toes while sprinting. I just thought I'd mention this in case people here didn't know about it. Like I said, I didn't get it right away so I thought this tip might help.

Now, if you're just a slowish runner period, this may not be enough to help you escape a fight. But if you're not a bad runner and plan to run anyway, this might help you clear your attackers faster. Just note that with an all-out sprint, you probably won't be able to run at top speed much more than 400-800m tops (about 1/4 - 1/2 mile). In track the 400m is still a sprint event, the 800m is sort of the transition from sprint to endurance, so I wouldn't bet on going much more than 1/2 mile max. at a full sprint, probably not even that far unless you're in good running/sprinting shape.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

What I meant by that is you won't WANT to end up on the ground, read the rest of the sentence please:D . There are occasions where people will get wrapped up. But you don't have to stay there. You can get back up and fight. If you are a seasoned fighter you will most likely be able to keep from going to the ground. Sorry I didn't make my point clear. I was headed to bed when I typed it.

I do agree with a lot of the other posts. Most likely the fight will be over in the first few strikes of a street fight. Most everyone here understands the power of a hammerfist strike to the temple, or the jaw, or the neck, or basically anywhere on the body. Its going to either render you unconcious, in a lot of pain, or possibly dead. *note this is one example of thousands* :asian:

Michael

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a student that is 17 around 285lb and he is very much into the UFC also. We do work out doing UFC type rules. But when we get into Kempo class and are working self defense. He usually tries to get some kind of submission on me. I have biting him, stuck him in the groin, pinch the inside of his groin, etc. The point here is he is looking at the UFC and I am using anything to survive. One side note everything I listed doing to him are illegal in the UFC. In a real street fight anything is fair game.
Bob :asian:

OP
J

J-kid

I WANNA FIGHT SOMEONE IN KENPO . if it is true what you say then i should get the azs beating i want from them. A good fight would be fun from someone in my wt devision; shoulds cool a nice spar with a ref and all . I dont really wanna fight anyone in a real fight but spariing is great. Do you think at a kenpo school they will just let me walk in and spar if i sign a weaver/

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes there are a lot of schools that will let you come in and spar if you sign a waiver, but some won't. Are you in WA state?
Remember Kenpo is good, not everyone that is in Kenpo is. They may not be taking Kenpo for sparring, they may be in it for health, or something similar.
Michael

OP
M

Master of Blades

You are one weird guy. About the whole distance thing. Any decent MA will teach you about that. You get the idea after a while anyway. You cant blame the art, you have to find what works for you. For example if your a kicker then you have to make sure they dont close the distance. If your a grappler or whatever then you have to close down your opponant. The whole mixing ideas is fantastic but why do it when you can just figure out what works for you. Blaming the art and saying it doesnt teach you this and that just doesnt work cuz you should be finding what works for you. And I agree that not everyone is good at what they do. Plus going and fighting people just to see if there art is good will tell you nothing. And also I guarrantee you will piss someone off by going in there and wanting to spar. Thats basically saying I wanna see if Im better then your school.

P.S - If I repeated anything then its cuz I didnt read the thread. Forgive me. Also I dont mean weird in a bad way. Im just finding the way you think confusing. :asian:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by AvPKenpo

Ummm.......as my wife put it you only end up on the ground if you suck....

LOL. With all due respect to those who may disagree, I happen to share the view quite strongly. In real ife situations, it is necessary to be able to achieve "one strike one kill". Most MA experts are well trained to deliver just that. If anything, I would think most are over trained to deliver that. For example, which well trained MA expert cannot deliver a swift kick to the knee or the groin and instantly disable an attacker?

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Qualifying what's already been qualified.....

I like so many others on this board, have been a bouncer - 2 years in. I had my share of go-to's - a lot more than one. I went to the ground once - because i tripped over a guy my partner had just knocked out with an overhand right.

:D

Cheers

Bao

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
originally posted by Arnisador

This is an underrated technique!

....and especially effective when you're 6'4 130+ kilos (about 300lbs) as my mate in question is.

The guy he hit didn't get up...for a long time. We ended up propping him up on a park bench across the street.

I also didn't get up for a while. I was so embarrased that (at that point) the only time i got sat on my **** was from tripping over an unconcsious boozer...:eek:

OP
S

sweeper

Judo-kid fighhting un-trained people doesn't realy teach you much. I have sparred with a couple of freinds that don't practice anything and the outcome has always been me controling the fight because they have no sence of range and no footwork. I think you are better off fighting someone with at leaste basic boxing/wrestling knowledge.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Baoquan

The guy he hit didn't get up...for a long time. We ended up propping him up on a park bench across the street.

:rofl: Only in Austraila........and maybe parts of Texas.

OP
F

fissure

Judo-kid , I have posted replys at several of your threads.At each new one I am becoming more baffled. With the belt levels you state in your profile, I'm assuming you have a year, maybe a year and a half experience.I have spent more time than this practising in boxing and submission wrestling. I don't even list these in my profile for the fact that, with this small amount of time invested, I don't feel I have the 'right' to claim these dissiplines as my own.Give yourself time.Find seasoned fighters to test your theories with. Make sure the people you fight with are accually 'fighters', and not into MA for the workout.Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you need someone to give you a little more guidence that you current instructors are providing.:asian:

OP
J

J-kid

I have fought people in diffrent MA and yes they all claim to be able take me out with a fast knock out kick / punch etc , The truth

OP
J

J-kid

The TRUTH is that non of the poeple could back up what they say . True they are closer to my age so i can match them in strength and size but it dosnt take much force to knock someone out since i have once,. TALk is Cheap and not many people can back theres up. Its easy online to say in a real fight your gonna do what you say but., there is to many posiblitys that and diffrent outcomes. For example. I was watching a sparing match between someone that dosnt do ma and someone that dos . (wal looking at MA schools) the person fighting the guy in ma didnt know much about fighting so i figured he would easyly be put down but it happens that he won. How maybe he got lucky maybe he didnt ,. this form seems to be Grappling vs Striking. I believe you have to have one to have the other,. If you truely call your self a fighter.. If i didnt know how to strike i wouldnt have won any of my fights because i had to get close to do take downs.
what i am trying to say is you cant really say that you can throw a punch and knock someone out in a real fight because you dont know. Not only that most people also can throw a lucky knock out punch so,. You can t really say like all you kenpo people are saying.

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Judo- kid your post does not make sense. If I train consistently to nock someone out and then I do it when I am attacked then what else is there to say? This forum is not strikers against grapplers. Any good MA knows that you need to be adaptable to many things, including ranges. My last point is that you still seem to be confusing fighting with sparing.

Latest Discussions