Martial Arts Interests in America

C

cannarysw

How so so many American's learn Martial Arts? It seems Martial Arts is a main stream thing now. Like there's one in every state. But who teaches there? Asian instructors out to make some easy money? By the way, white belt? I'm a black belt in both Tae Kwon Do and Aikido, is or this belts system on the site rated by # of posts?

OP
M

Mark Weiser

First off Welcome to Martial Talk. You earn your different colored belts by the # of Post you make on this site. And the answer to your question is "What are you trying to ask?"

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On behalf of the staff here at MartialTalk, welcome to the boards. Like Mark Weiser said, your "belt ranking" is the amount of posts here on the site.

lol, I agree with Mark's answer to your question. I'm not sure what your asking either.
But, either way, welcome and make yourself at home.

7sm

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Hi and Welcome!! Are you asking why martial arts has gone mainstream in America? I'm not really sure it has if that is your question. I know there are many people who do practice, but I think it may be a drop in the bucket compared to overall population. Should more people study martial arts? Absolutely!

A---)

OP
C

cannarysw

Hi, Thanks for the welcome guys. I guess my question really is who are your teachers? I'm curious, because I live in China, and I wanted to know who are the people who teach Martial Arts in China. Race, Age, etc

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Okay, my sifu is Brian Bateman, and while us new students in class may not have a clear picture of lineage, know that it is important to us. My sifu's school is part of the US Kung Fu Exchange, and the headquaters in down in Texas, (I'm in NYS) under the eye of Raymond Fogg. Mr. Fogg I believe is a direct student of Lee Kam Wing, who is the current head of Seven Star Praying Mantis. I'm unable to provide ages, and I personally don't think race is important, but Lee Kam Wing is Chinese, Fogg is black and my sifu is white. Thats one of the cool things about martial arts, working with all types of people.

A---)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Darksoul said:
-Okay, my sifu is Brian Bateman, and while us new students in class may not have a clear picture of lineage, know that it is important to us. My sifu's school is part of the US Kung Fu Exchange, and the headquaters in down in Texas, (I'm in NYS) under the eye of Raymond Fogg. Mr. Fogg I believe is a direct student of Lee Kam Wing, who is the current head of Seven Star Praying Mantis. I'm unable to provide ages, and I personally don't think race is important, but Lee Kam Wing is Chinese, Fogg is black and my sifu is white. Thats one of the cool things about martial arts, working with all types of people.

A---)
I had no ideas you were one of sifu Batemans students. I study under sifu Brandon Jones who is vice president of the US Kung Fu Exchange. You are correct one of Sigung Fogg's teachers was Lee Kam Wing and they still train under him when they get the chance to go to Hong Kong. Darksoul, you should consider coming to Tyler for Sigung Fogg's B-Day this Janurary, all the KFE sifus and many students come to our school in Tyler for the celebration. There is alot of kung fu going on that weekend!
Here is a nice chart of our lineage:

7starlineage.jpg

7sm

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Thats funny, my birthday is in January...hehe. Actually, I'm planning on going to Los Angeles in January to visit a friend. I may make it down to Texas at some point in time. Right now its all about getting the basics down. Besides, I've heard some horror stories about Texas, like standing in Ma Bo for 30 minutes. If I'm lucky, I can make it to one minute;-)

A---)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
haha, well we are generally pretty hospitable! I look forward to meating you if you ever make it down. Sigung Fogg's seminars are always extremely good. Great learning experiences.

7sm

wingchunner

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You can check my lineage out through my instructor, Carl Dechiara's website:
http://www.immortalpalm.com

Carl's lineage is:
Wing chun: Yip Man (hong kong) -> Leung Sheung (1st disciple in Hong Kong)-> Kenneth Chung -> Carl Dechiara

Chen style tai Chi chuan: From Chen Village: Chen Qingzhou -> Carl Dechiara (Chen Qingzhou is Carl's godfather)

Fu style internal martial arts: Fu Chen Sung-> Victor Fu-> Carl Dechiara. Fu Chen Sung is one of the five northern tigers who went to southern china to teach martial arts.

Also doing some study under Yun Zhang who is a disciple under the late Wang Peishan

I'm located in Wooster, Ohio. Carl is located in Cleveland Ohio.
Marty