Martial arts creates Violence? Say Yes or No

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My experience (and I'm very interested if anyone has any links to studies and such) is that the millennials who were largely parented by boomers, were coddled. The new crop of kids I've seen, who were born in the late 90s and parented by Gen-Xers (mainly) are pretty damned cool. I've seen them called iGen or Gen Z, but they're just now beginning to enter into the workforce, and my experience with them so far has been terrific. The kids from Parkland are a great example of what I'm talking about
Our experiences differ. I've noticed a lack of respect and etiquette in children/teenagers. It's more surprising when the parents are with them when they misbehave and yet they do nothing about it. Regardless, my point is spanking is viewed as the end all and be all of parenting. Spanking without teaching values nor responsibility will create problems later on. If you do wish to spank, it should be recognized as only one part of parenting. Using it a release for frustration is another dynamic that I think a lot of parents fall into.

Actually from what I've seen recently a great many young Americans have superb values and I would be very proud of them. They are the future and it looks a lot brighter now.
I'm not exactly sure on the brighter future part, I think we'll get by just fine, but it's more the values I was referring to. A society/culture can strive and excel regardless of values. We're making great strides in technology, medicine, etc. It's not the accomplishments I question, but more the "old school" values that I'm seeing less of. I'm not saying they're aren't exceptions, but I think a lot of children in US aren't being taught good values.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
my point is spanking is viewed as the end all and be all of parenting. Spanking without teaching values nor responsibility will create problems later on. If you do wish to spank, it should be recognized as only one part of parenting. Using it a release for frustration is another dynamic that I think a lot of parents fall into.

As a frustration release it's utterly unjustifiable imo.

Apart from the taps (single, not forceful slap) I've mentioned I can't say I've ever felt that physical punishment was necessary at all.

Unless you count the times when I'm pad holding for my son and he drops his guard - then he'll get a pad on his head (oh no, teaching with violence ;))

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a lack of respect and etiquette in children/teenagers.

There is written on a wall in Egypt a diatribe from a man complaining about the youth of his day, how they have no manners, no respect for their elders and they are dissolute. He add they were never like that in his day. The 'writing' is hieroglyphs and are 5 thousand years old, every generation has moaned about the next in this way and yet every generation has turned out fine. People look back at their youth through rose tinted glasses and complain about the children of today, always missing the bad bits of their own youth and seeing only the bad of todays.

The young people of America have shown the world quite recently that their values aren't that of many of their elders, they are shining a light in the darkness for the whole world to see. There are values some of their elders cling to that do not make for a good society or even a successful one, the young people show that there is another way as young people usually do. There are an example to people everywhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is written on a wall in Egypt a diatribe from a man complaining about the youth of his day, how they have no manners, no respect for their elders and they are dissolute. He add they were never like that in his day. The 'writing' is hieroglyphs and are 5 thousand years old, every generation has moaned about the next in this way and yet every generation has turned out fine. People look back at their youth through rose tinted glasses and complain about the children of today, always missing the bad bits of their own youth and seeing only the bad of todays.

The young people of America have shown the world quite recently that their values aren't that of many of their elders, they are shining a light in the darkness for the whole world to see. There are values some of their elders cling to that do not make for a good society or even a successful one, the young people show that there is another way as young people usually do. There are an example to people everywhere.
I’ve had this discussion with groups of managers when “dealing with millennials “ comes up. Yes, there are some general characteristics of that group, but much of the complaint about them is inter-generational angst.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The word 'millennials' means very little really, there's always been the 'entitled' people, the ones who think the world owes them a living, there's the rich who think the world owes them servitude and respect and there's always those who work hard and carry on with life. The difference now is that the media 'names' the groups, and it likes to put out articles exaggerating the so called 'differences' between groups.

'Values' what does that word mean? Basically nothing, what do we value? Money, wealth, power all gained by underhand dealing and cheating seems to be something valued by some, do the young people of today ascribe to those values, I sincerely hope not, they don't seem to, many young people are brave and speak out, bless them for it, I'm thinking of the young gymnasts here going against the values shown by their controlling authorities. 'Old school' values shown as in 'don't rock the boat, your elders know best'. They didn't know best and boy did the gymnasts rock the boat so hard even when some were blaming them saying they brought it on themselves because of what they wear ( yes really)

Young people should be rebels, should take on the world, they should be showing the way forward after all they will be there, we won't.

This from 2001, long enough ago that the teens then are most likely parents themselves and out in the workplace now.
http://www.frameworksinstitute.org/assets/files/PDF/youth_public_perceptions.pdf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

All I know is that they stood up when others did not. The ones in the U.S. who are protesting are doing the right thing and are filling in where there is a lack of leadership. This seems to have always been the role of the youth. Through out the ages it has been the youth to bring about good change and throughout the ages it is often the elders who sell the snake oil and make unrealistic promises.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

maxresdefault.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

We haven't had that here. How many people in the USA? I don't think you can judge any group by looking at what less than 54 people did. "According to AAPCC data, in 2016 and 2017, poison control centers handled thirty-nine and fifty-three cases of intentional exposures"

We do have this though.
Young people are savvier and more generous when giving to charity at Christmas - GOV.UK

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/18/young...-depression-by-leaving-kind-messages-7321818/

Meet the inspirational young people who devote their time to helping others

About young carers | Carers Trust

etc etc.

and apart from sports which thousands of young people do, we have the youth organisations which collectively have millions of members.

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not at all. It's just that we as a species haven't developed. Thousands of years ago as cavemen we whacked each other on the head with clubs - now we just shoot each other and break each other's limbs with deadly techniques. Big evolution.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see no problem with spanking as long as it is done for the right reasons and not excessive.

There is no right way or wrong way.

Just different ways.

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I see no problem with spanking as long as it is done for the right reasons and not excessive.

Just different ways.
I was brought up with full on smacks to the face. I'm 16 right now and I turned out pretty good, according to my family. Since I am Slavic (Bulgarian), slapping is super common in the culture for upbringing. The slaps and their severity depend on how bad it is. The worst is when I tell a lie, no matter how little.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just different ways.

I just don't see any right reasons for smacking a child, nor do I see the point of it. ( I say smacking because in the UK 'spanking' is a consensual sex act). If I can discipline hundreds of other people's kids perfectly well without smacking why would I ever need to smack my own children, which I never have and at 40 and 31 they are both brilliant human beings. Nobody needs to smack.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was brought up with full on smacks to the face. I'm 16 right now and I turned out pretty good, according to my family. Since I am Slavic (Bulgarian), slapping is super common in the culture for upbringing. The slaps and their severity depend on how bad it is. The worst is when I tell a lie, no matter how little.

That is horrendous quite honestly.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just different ways.
You see no problem with physically assaulting a child? And even spanking that can still give kids impressions that touching someone's backside is a normal thing so what happens when little Timmy 10 year old starts spanking girls because he thinks it's a normal thing to do

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Just different ways.
There are some wrong ways. But not as many as people think.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say smacking because in the UK 'spanking' is a consensual sex act

Dual meaning really.

A disciplinary spanking is different to a disciplinary smack (at least it is down south).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have two adult kids and a nine year old, and haven’t needed to spank anyone yet. I don’t judge folks who do. Well, maybe a little, but I also consider raising kids to be a results oriented gig. As long as they leave your care happy, healthy, well adjusted and ready to enter into adulthood, you did it right.

But there is ample evidence that the spare the rod mentality isn’t as effective as positive reinforcement.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dual meaning really.

A disciplinary spanking is different to a disciplinary smack (at least it is down south).

Yeah, whatever, I would go off to the QM and draw out a sense of humour, mate, if I were you.

Spanking is only justified when it's a consensual sex act. ;)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would go off to the QM and draw out a sense of humour, mate, if I were you.

I would, but I don't trust their lead times.

24 years now I've been waiting for the left handed 38v sky hooks and box of electronic lift I ordered during my avionics apprenticeship...

Latest Discussions