Martial Arts Body Type

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, this is ideal, then?

8844d64d-00b9-4f30-b744-6824038df158_x365.jpg

Perfect! Just needs one of them Frank Deux gis with the shoulder things and that boy be stylin'.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the style. I'd argue for Hapkido that speed is better than strength.
but they tend to come together, sure some people who are very slight can be very quick on their feet, and some what evasive, but strong muscles tend to be fast muscles and if their not they can easily be so. Power, be that the power to punch them out or the power to throw them over,is a product of both speed and,strengh, i you have only one in abundance and seriously lacking in the other your power will be some what limited

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whatever "body type" one has is what one has. Anyone seriously training in a martial art with a good instructor will maximize his/her potential. Potential is what everyone has and starts out with; training up to that potential is all one can do. One thing about an ability, it is what it is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever "body type" one has is what one has. Anyone seriously training in a martial art with a good instructor will maximize his/her potential. Potential is what everyone has and starts out with; training up to that potential is all one can do. One thing about an ability, it is what it is.
We all have a base body type (mostly determined by genetics and past experience), but we can alter that. I can get much stronger than I currently am, even in my late 40's. Some folks can get slimmer. Most of us cannot change that base body type, and none of us can get taller (by choice, anyway).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but they tend to come together, sure some people who are very slight can be very quick on their feet, and some what evasive, but strong muscles tend to be fast muscles and if their not they can easily be so. Power, be that the power to punch them out or the power to throw them over,is a product of both speed and,strengh, i you have only one in abundance and seriously lacking in the other your power will be some what limited

Also depends on your validation of training. If I spar at 20% speed is better than strength. Because it gets factored out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. Your system needs more than one solution so that the different shapes can find their own game.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Which is the best all around body type for a martial artist?
  • Strong and Muscular-Bodybuilder Type, Mike Tyson
  • Lean and fast-Bruce Lee Type

It's a little backwards to see it that way IMO. Every ounce of Muscle on Iron Mike's body was functional and served a purpose in the ring. Mike's goal was to never look strong, it was to be powerful and explosive. Mike was very fast, he doesn't get enough credit for his speed and defensive skills. He's was just most well-known for his power.

Muscles can be trained differently and can take on different forms. You can have big, powerful, explosive muscles that are %100 functional like Mike. Or you can have big muscles that aren't for any particular function like Bodybuilders, they're simply for show. Mike and a bodybuilder might look somewhat similar, but how their bodies work are completely different.

Genetics and ethnicity are huge factors when it comes to muscle conditioning. Two people with the same exact workout, diet and age can look completely different.

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Which is the best all around body type for a martial artist?
  • Strong and Muscular-Bodybuilder Type, Mike Tyson
  • Lean and fast-Bruce Lee Type
It depends on your style; Bruce Lee utilised range to his advantage so his speed was essential and a lean body type would suit him best as there is more muscle working and less excess weight (fat) to move around. Mike Tyson required a heavy build because he was all about getting all up in your grill and keeping pressure. Uppercuts though the guard, hooks to the ears, you name it. He always got close in, barely utilised range and required a bulk build to withstand blows because more fat = less damage to the body as it acts as a cushion. Personally, I have long arms so I utilise my range but I have an athletic body build to allow me to get a decent compromise between range and up close.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a little backwards to see it that way IMO. Every ounce of Muscle on Iron Mike's body was functional and served a purpose in the ring. Mike's goal was to never look strong, it was to be powerful and explosive. Mike was very fast, he doesn't get enough credit for his speed and defensive skills. He's was just most well-known for his power.

Muscles can be trained differently and can take on different forms. You can have big, powerful, explosive muscles that are %100 functional like Mike. Or you can have big muscles that aren't for any particular function like Bodybuilders, they're simply for show. Mike and a bodybuilder might look somewhat similar, but how their bodies work are completely different.

Genetics and ethnicity are huge factors when it comes to muscle conditioning. Two people with the same exact workout, diet and age can look completely different.

Mike Tyson was just fundamentally bigger as well.

Which is basically better to be in a fight.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can have big, powerful, explosive muscles that are %100 functional like Mike. Or you can have big muscles that aren't for any particular function like Bodybuilders, they're simply for show. Mike and a bodybuilder might look somewhat similar, but how their bodies work are completely different.
You making a false distinction between body builders muscles and a Power athletes muscles, there bodies do NOT function differently at all, that's just silly, muscle is muscle, it's true that a power athletes might do exercises that a body builders may not, but performance athletes need to "_body build" not just concentrate on the muscles they use for their sport, as other wise significant imbalances are caused that out significant strain and stress on the body. So iron mile would body build and then add performance elements.

Body builders may generally have aesthetics as a motivation rather than performanc, BUT they are generally significant strong and powerful, just as performance athletes generally have nice physique s, the training is fundamentally the same, with a a few specifics

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And that fundamental size is probably part of the reason he chose that fighting style (I think personality probably factors in, too).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You making a false distinction between body builders muscles and a Power athletes muscles, there bodies do NOT function differently at all, that's just silly, muscle is muscle, it's true that a power athletes might do exercises that a body builders may not, but performance athletes need to "_body build" not just concentrate on the muscles they use for their sport, as other wise significant imbalances are caused that out significant strain and stress on the body. So iron mile would body build and then add performance elements.

Body builders may generally have aesthetics as a motivation rather than performanc, BUT they are generally significant strong and powerful, just as performance athletes generally have nice physique s, the training is fundamentally the same, with a a few specifics
Not entirely. Because bodybuilders use an approach designed to maximize bulk, they don't develop the same speed/explosiveness as the performance athlete. I've trained MA with a few bodybuilders. One of them trained for performance, as well as bulk. The others trained purely for aesthetics. There was a significant difference in their punching power, ability to enter explosively, etc. Oh, and their flexibility was ****.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well tha
Not entirely. Because bodybuilders use an approach designed to maximize bulk, they don't develop the same speed/explosiveness as the performance athlete. I've trained MA with a few bodybuilders. One of them trained for performance, as well as bulk. The others trained purely for aesthetics. There was a significant difference in their punching power, ability to enter explosively, etc. Oh, and their flexibility was ****.[/QUOTthat's the point I made, the same base with a few performance specifics, making a muscle stronger makes it bigger, making it Bigger makes it stronger, both require lifting heavy things powerfully, if a boxer looks like a body builder, that's cause he has been body buildin

QUOTthat's the point I made, the same base with a few performance specifics, making a muscle stronger makes it bigger, making it Bigger makes it stronger, both require lifting heavy things powerfully, if a boxer looks like a body builder, that's cause he has been body buildinG. Body building doesn't make you a good puncher, it's punching that does that, but it sure has he'll gives you significant potential to work with and develop

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that fundamental size is probably part of the reason he chose that fighting style (I think personality probably factors in, too).

Here is mike in the ammies.

He is counter punching. Not trading in the pocket.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

It's not silly, it's science. Bodybuilders and Powerlifters have big muscles, but their training, goals and abilities are different. The powerlifter trains for maximum, quick and explosive power. The bodybuilder is only interested in getting their muscles bigger and more defined. They both have huge muscles, but their muscle's abilities are different for they train differently.

Bodybuilders are usually slower for they are only concerned about building mass, opposed to training for explosive power.

Essentially, training for power will build muscle mass, so will bodybuilder training. However, the abilities of the two are completely different, just because muscles look similar doesn't mean they have similar dynamics.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yeah, Tyson was a beast and knew how to generate power with every ounce of his body. He was short for a heavyweight but had a big frame and knew how to use it to his advantage.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The classic mis classification as big muscle=slow.

Having more muscle uses up more energy, so your power output frequency is likely to be less, but the power output a lot higher.
There are weight classes in martial arts events for a good reason.

Muscle built doing body building/powerlifting/Olympic lifting are much the same, the muscles condition will vary, and explosive techniques are partly about the skill of the technique execution, and the condition of the muscle from that execution.

Latest Discussions