Martial arts and spinal surgery (Miss Tlif l5 / s1)

kurtuazja9281

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jakub, I am 17 years old, in March I am waiting for surgery Miss Tlif. I have a question, is there anybody after the Miss Tlif operation and training martial arts and you can train normally, are there any problems? I would like to know very much because I train boxing and kickboxing and they are sports that I love, without which I could not live. If the topic is not in the place where it should be, I would ask for a transfer and not for removal. Greetings.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
100% ask your doctor. That is the only person qualified to answer this question.

I will second that....

Ask a doctor. Asking a bunch of nameless, faceless, marital artist with little or no medical background and/or training in medicine is not the way to go.

Cannot stress this enough "Ask your doctor"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jakub, I am 17 years old, in March I am waiting for surgery Miss Tlif. I have a question, is there anybody after the Miss Tlif operation and training martial arts and you can train normally, are there any problems? I would like to know very much because I train boxing and kickboxing and they are sports that I love, without which I could not live. If the topic is not in the place where it should be, I would ask for a transfer and not for removal. Greetings.
well yes, absolutely if the operation is a success, , you should be good for normal actively, with a bit of care, though what the doctor's will tell you is another thing, after nine they were very vague about if I'd ever walk normally, let alone play sports, 6 months lat after a load of strength and conditioning exercises to the surrounding muscles, I was playing soccer just as badly as before,

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are way, way, way too many variables for anyone here to give you anything that would remotely resemble reasonable advice. Talk to your surgeon. The best they will be able to do will be to talk in generalities, because it's impossible to predict the specific recovery of an individual. At best, you can cite statistics. Nothing more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others are suggesting, it depends on a lot of factors. Some things that will affect the answer:
  • Your physical condition
  • The reason for the TILF surgery
  • Any complications in the surgery
  • Your level of recovery after the surgery
This is why people are telling you to discuss with your surgeon. Your surgeon might also suggest you get other medical/professional opinions (physical therapist, sports medicine doctor, etc.).

MxcnPhoenix

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi @kurtuazja9281 welcome to MT!

I don't have any personal experience with the surgery your facing and I 100% support the other poster's advice to speak with your surgeon and the rest of your recovery team about participating in boxing and kickboxing after surgery. That being said, I do have lots of personal experience with this feeling:

they are sports that I love, without which I could not live

I'm making the assumption that you came here looking for some relief from the fear that you might not be able to participate in those sports again. That is a feeling I am intimately familiar with. I had a surgery where paralysis of my right leg was a possible "side effect" and re-injury resulting in paralysis was a likely scenario. I was terrified about not being able to participate in martial arts again. After some long and detailed talks with my surgeon and physical therapist, we came up with a plan to compensate for the new weaknesses with LOTS of strength training and following some very strict rules (in regards to how I move and do things I used to take for granted. i.e. bending over, getting up from the ground, literally ANYTHING related to changing direction quickly, etc.) to reduce the chance of re-injury. Those conversations helped A LOT with assuaging my fears. I'm hoping that having similar conversations with your surgeon and recovery team will help you too.

The other thing that helped me was thinking really deeply and honestly about what my life would be like if the worst case scenario did happen. For me, at that time, that was living in a world where I couldn't participate in martial arts the way that I had been (I was 13 lol). Taking the time to think about that helped me to realize some things:

1) I have been passionately in love with martial arts since I was 4 years old, living a life without it was totally out of the question.
2) I had personally trained with, seen, and been inspired by people who had overcome tremendously difficult situations to participate in martial arts i.e. paraplegia, loss of a limb, physical deformity, physical/emotional/verbal abuse, bullying, poverty, poor health etc. So why should I give up so easily?
3) Even if my participation in martial arts was different than it had been up to that point, I would not love it any less.
4) During recovery, I could delve deeply into the history, philosophy, and mythology of the martial arts to continue to feed that fire.

Studying history has taught me that the human spirit can overcome all challenges so long as it is strengthened by an indomitable will. Training in martial arts is a journey and no two people walk the same path, our obstacles and what's required of us to overcome them varies greatly but as a collective group we can relate to the struggle and willpower necessary to do it. On that note, I did a little searching and in the hopes of buoying your spirits a little bit I found a couple of videos of martial artists who were able to return to their training after lumbar fusion surgery:

I wish you all the best in your surgery, recovery, and hopeful return to the sports you love.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a question, is there anybody after the Miss Tlif operation and training martial arts and you can train normally, are there any problems? I would like to know very much because I train boxing and kickboxing and they are sports that I love, without which I could not live.
The following advice is based on the assumption that all avenues have been check. Not saying that you are in the same boat, but I was once told that I needed surgery for my back as the only solution, then I went home to change my mattress to see if my bed was causing the pain. To my relief it was. My back issue went away once I got a new mattress.

So the advice that follows is based on the assumption that EVERYTHING was tried and EVERYTHING was discussed with your doctor and the Surgeon. Prior to getting the operation. By the way when I say EVERYTHING, I don't mean crazy back exercises. Just the simple stuff that we sometimes don't think about doing like switching out a bad mattress. If you have looked into other possibilities and have come to this conclusion then the following advice is what I recommend.

First thing you should be focused on is healing. Deal with the surgery first so you aren't stressed out about stuff that doesn't matter (martial arts, boxing, etc) After the surgery focus on healing. Make sure your body heals the way that it needs to. Again, don't stress out about stuff that doesn't matter. Accomplish healing first.

Then when the healing is done, consult with a doctor about what you can and can't do. Keep in mind part of what he says is going to be based on how well you recovered and how well the surgery went. The better you heal the better your chances are. Rush healing and you'll screw up your body permanently and you'll make things worst not better.

Healing takes time so be patient about it. Don't rush it.

Just by asking the question of what you can do after the surgery already highlights how you are skipping the healing portion. Everything from this point should be focused on recovery, getting in the right frame of mind for a positive and effective recovery. It sound corny but it's the truth and there's no need for anyone to be a doctor for this piece of advice. FOCUS ON HEALING FIRST. I really can't stress this enough. FOCUS ON HEALING FIRST. No matter what the doctor says you can or can't do. You'll still have to deal with the reality of healing.

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Seconding others opinions here; always get a doctor's approval, and then focus on healing first.

Id strongly recommend a good Iyengar yoga class, pilates and chi gung. But only with a doctors approval.

Check the qualifications of each and every teacher, ignore those who've been on a one month teachers course.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but I was once told that I needed surgery for my back as the only solution, then I went home to change my mattress to see if my bed was causing the pain. To my relief it was. My back issue went away once I got a new mattress.

Good grief, what sort of doctor did you see? o_O

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good grief, what sort of doctor did you see? o_O
A bad one. He reminds me of a technician who wants to take the biggest course of action to fix something instead of trying to figure out what is causing the problem. I never went back to see him after that. The only good thing that came out of it was it opened my eyes to always seek a viable alternative based on what's really going on.