Martial Arts and Glasses

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry; I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. Absolutely, I think you should wear your glasses to train as a general rule. But, occasionally, you should train without them. Free sparring is not a good exercise for this; that's why I said one-steps or similar controlled extercises.

In the same vein, most of your training will be in the dojo or a similar environment, wearing a uniform and with a good warm up. Occasionally... move out of that comfort. Wear old, "normal" clothes. Train outside. Skip the warm up and see what happens.... Of course, if all your after is some fun or a sport to do, you can skip this stuff, since it's only really relevant to self defense.

I hear you and agree. I have been thinking a lot about doing SD exercises, even kata, in street clothes and shoes outside on uneven terrain. I think it's a terrific idea.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not everyone is a candidate. I'm not. I could - maybe - wear hard contacts with the 'weighted bottoms' for my astigmatism, but I tried a long time ago, and no, ever again. I wear glasses, I'm OK with glasses, and I train with glasses built to take abuse. I don't see it as an issue.

I am not a good candidate, because I also have astigmatism. Mine are a soft lens with a weighted bottom to help keep them in position. They are not 100% because I still need reading glasses, but for the most part I can see otherwise. I do have some special circumstances, "part time job", that requires me to not have to deal with fogging up, or the occasional scuffle I may find myself in. So, as it stands, so far so good....

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you truly need glasses than contacts are the way to go!

I train with my glasses on (although I only need them driving at night!)

If I am going to grapple or spar I take them off!

You could look into sports glasses such as the ones basketball players wear.

Just some Ideas!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you truly need glasses than contacts are the way to go!

With respect, not everyone can wear contacts. I cannot. Fact. Trust me, I've been through this with my ophthalmologist. I cannot wear contacts. Strong astigmatism in both eyes is just one reason - and yes, I am aware they make contacts for astigmatism now. I'm still not a candidate; my eye doctor whom I trust says so and I agree. And there are plenty of people like me.

I train with my glasses on (although I only need them driving at night!)

I train with my glasses on - the racquetball glasses I bought to use for martial arts training. Had them for over a year now; they work great.

I don't train without them because I cannot see Sensei without them.

If I am going to grapple or spar I take them off!

I took mine off during my recent (and first!) sparring competition, only because my head protection was squeezing my head too tightly for me to keep them on; I need a larger size and will have it by the next time I spar in competition. I really can't see what I'm doing without my glasses.

You could look into sports glasses such as the ones basketball players wear.

Just some Ideas!

I agree. That's why I keep recommending the glasses I bought; but I keep getting told oh, they fog up - by people who don't wear them (they don't fog up) or oh, buy contacts instead - by people who can wear contacts and assume everyone can - or my comments just get ignored. I'm really not sure why people ask for advice and then dismiss it.

Seriously - these glasses I've got, designed for racquetball players, have take direct shots by my training partners to the head; the most that's happened is they've gotten knocked to one side and I have to put them back on the bridge of my nose. The strap keeps them from falling off; they don't fog up; they are very comfortable due to massive soft padding; and they're easy to take care of; not to mention CHEAP. I don't get what's not to like about them, except of course they look dorky and GOD we can't have that; the style-conscious martial artist must always look like Bruce freaking Lee.

Latest Discussions