Martial Arts and CPR/AED/First Aid

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's an old saying "If you can take a life, you can save a life."

Should all Martial Art students, instructors, and personnel be required to take a CPR/AED/First Aid class? Even beginning students, for the sold purpose of having cross training in potential lifesaving techniques?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, they shouldnt.
Simple.

I think its a good idea to learn it, separately, of your own Volition.
Simply because if you were to Harm someone in Self Defense, only the Person was Predisposed in some way; Brittle Bone Disease, an Old Injury, or whathaveyou, it may be down to you to limit the Negative Outcome for them.

It should not be a Requirement however.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have been having periodic certifications in CPR, first aid, and AED. It's required for instructors and optional for students.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Should all Martial Art students, instructors, and personnel be required to take a CPR/AED/First Aid class? Even beginning students, for the sold purpose of having cross training in potential lifesaving techniques?
At the least, instructors.

Razor

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think maybe there should be at least 2 first aiders, maybe instructor and assistant instructor. At my club there are 3 committee members, at least 2 of which must be first aid trained. Also a lot of the other students have been part of the committee in the past and so are still first aid qualified. It's a university club though, which is why it has more regulation, not altogether a bad thing in this case I think.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was required at the university rec center I taught at to be CPR/AED/First Aid certified & have it renewed every two years. This was on their dime too.

Personally... hell no. The liabilities involved are enormous for an every day Joe. Help as best I can, if I can, while 911 is called is what I go by.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Instructors, personnel, refs and judges YES! Students - NO! - Although all knowledge is good, so it wouldn't be a bad thing. I just don't believe that it should be mandatory for students. How do you teach CPR or other first aid to younger students? You just don't.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Its probably not a bad idea for the insts. to at least have some basic first aid/cpr training. Students...no, I dont think thats necessary.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it's good for everyone to know, but not more important for MA students. It came in handy when my then 3 month old turned blue. If you can take a course, do so.

OP
I

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Instructors, personnel, refs and judges YES! Students - NO! - Although all knowledge is good, so it wouldn't be a bad thing. I just don't believe that it should be mandatory for students. How do you teach CPR or other first aid to younger students? You just don't.

Funny thing you said that!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and take the position of 'Yes' they should! What if the Instructor goes down? What if the Instructor is the only one teaching and they go down? Seconds could mean the difference between life and death. If you look at many Martial Art Combat Systems and the Masters behind them. They themselves knew some form of life saving techniques (though ancient and somewhat modern). Eastern medicine has been around for centuries, which included some form of basic first aid and lifesaving procedures. If you look at some of the recent news, such as in California where I believe it was a 3 or 5 y/o child who saved his fathers life simply by pushing down on the chest. (Sorry I don't have a link, google it!)
I am a AHA CPR/First Aid Instructor and a Healthcare Provider, and because our Martial Arts organization does not train underage youth, (you have to at least 18 to join) we do ask (not require) that all of our students go through with First Aid/AED/CPR. That's just an individual organization's policy though!
Someone said the liability of training, true! However, I will also point out that there is liability in not having personnel trained at the same time. So it's a give-take.
I will also add that AED machines have become much more easy and effective to use. Even by a 3 yo child or young child. It's a simple step by step, talks you through each step by step. And it's safer!
With that said, I agree it should be a requirement for Instructors, and Officials. I also believe that it should be optional for all students (regardless of age).

I'm a firm believer in that Martial Arts can save a life! Shouldn't we hold that true to layperson basic medical training too?

"If you can take a life, you can save a life."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't personally believe it should be absolutely required of anyone, aside from perhaps larger competitive events. I think individuals should pursue training if they are interested, and customers should decide whether that is a selling factor in the school.

One of the most effective things a school or training group can do to save a life in an emergency requires no special training, no scheduling, and virtually no money. Post a large sign stating to call 911 (or for those outside North America...whatever your emergency call number is), include the name of the establishment, the precise street address, and a directional pointer.

"In Case of Emergency: dial 911.
"This location is Sullivan's Karate, 123 Main Street, 2nd Floor, over the Mobil station in Springfield."

Adjust the address and directions as appropriate.
"This location is Delta Gym, 54321 Martin Luther King Blvd, between Broadway and Anderson Road, in Springfield"
"This location is the residence of Kim and Rob Jackson, 345 Sycamore Street at the corner of Walnut Street, in Springfield"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't personally believe it should be absolutely required of anyone, aside from perhaps larger competitive events. I think individuals should pursue training if they are interested, and customers should decide whether that is a selling factor in the school.

One of the most effective things a school or training group can do to save a life in an emergency requires no special training, no scheduling, and virtually no money. Post a large sign stating to call 911 (or for those outside North America...whatever your emergency call number is), include the name of the establishment, the precise street address, and a directional pointer.

"In Case of Emergency: dial 911.
"This location is Sullivan's Karate, 123 Main Street, 2nd Floor, over the Mobil station in Springfield."

Adjust the address and directions as appropriate.
"This location is Delta Gym, 54321 Martin Luther King Blvd, between Broadway and Anderson Road, in Springfield"
"This location is the residence of Kim and Rob Jackson, 345 Sycamore Street at the corner of Walnut Street, in Springfield"

Agreed! Many 911 centers today, provide the caller with pre-arrival instructions, so if a call was received for seizures, heart attack, etc, instructions could be given over the phone on what to do, until help arrives. Additionally, many towns have police officers also respond to all medical calls, so at least thats one more resource available.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny thing you said that!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and take the position of 'Yes' they should! What if the Instructor goes down? What if the Instructor is the only one teaching and they go down? Seconds could mean the difference between life and death. If you look at many Martial Art Combat Systems and the Masters behind them. They themselves knew some form of life saving techniques (though ancient and somewhat modern). Eastern medicine has been around for centuries, which included some form of basic first aid and lifesaving procedures. If you look at some of the recent news, such as in California where I believe it was a 3 or 5 y/o child who saved his fathers life simply by pushing down on the chest. (Sorry I don't have a link, google it!)
I am a AHA CPR/First Aid Instructor and a Healthcare Provider, and because our Martial Arts organization does not train underage youth, (you have to at least 18 to join) we do ask (not require) that all of our students go through with First Aid/AED/CPR. That's just an individual organization's policy though!
Someone said the liability of training, true! However, I will also point out that there is liability in not having personnel trained at the same time. So it's a give-take.
I will also add that AED machines have become much more easy and effective to use. Even by a 3 yo child or young child. It's a simple step by step, talks you through each step by step. And it's safer!
With that said, I agree it should be a requirement for Instructors, and Officials. I also believe that it should be optional for all students (regardless of age).

I'm a firm believer in that Martial Arts can save a life! Shouldn't we hold that true to layperson basic medical training too?

"If you can take a life, you can save a life."

Because Martial Arts are not First Aid?
By which I mean, if you learn First Aid, does that mean you should join the Fiercest Martial Arts Hall you can find? :p

For reference, im not denying that it could be useful.
Only whether or not it should be obligatory.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, not required to by law or anything ... that is up to each person to decide.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I spent a year as an EMT (basic) attached to my local fire dept before moving to Japan, and I think CPR and use of an AED should be taght to everyone in every junior high, high school ect.Heart failure is the #1 killer in the US and can happen anywhere at any time. Your students are more likely to see a family member have a heart attack than they are to be mugged.My own wife`s father died in her arms of a heart attack when she was a student.

If I were running a dojo I think I would make it a requirement for anyone who wanted to work for me, but I don`t think it should be a requirement for advancement. I`d be happy to have it offered as an optional class , like we run seminars on specific aspects of the arts. But I`d see it as optional suplimental info.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as liability, Ohio has a good samaritan law, IE: if you`re not a liscanced doctor or nurse and you stop to help because there`s no one else to do so you can`t be sued for screwing up. Better to try to help and break a rib doing CPR than to do nothing and watch someone die.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as liability, Ohio has a good samaritan law, IE: if you`re not a liscanced doctor or nurse and you stop to help because there`s no one else to do so you can`t be sued for screwing up. Better to try to help and break a rib doing CPR than to do nothing and watch someone die.

Victim: *...*
Samaritan: "Oh My! Ill Help You!"
Samaritan: *Performs CPR*
Victim: *Gasps*
Victim: "IM ALIVE!"
Samaritan: "Oh My God, I Saved A Life!"
Victim: "You Bastard! You Broke My Rib! Im Gonna Sue Your ***!"
Samaritan: *...*

Best. Mental. Image. Ever.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I spent a year as an EMT (basic) attached to my local fire dept before moving to Japan, and I think CPR and use of an AED should be taght to everyone in every junior high, high school ect.Heart failure is the #1 killer in the US and can happen anywhere at any time. Your students are more likely to see a family member have a heart attack than they are to be mugged.My own wife`s father died in her arms of a heart attack when she was a student.

If I were running a dojo I think I would make it a requirement for anyone who wanted to work for me, but I don`t think it should be a requirement for advancement. I`d be happy to have it offered as an optional class , like we run seminars on specific aspects of the arts. But I`d see it as optional suplimental info.

I am also an ex EMT. I can tell you that in my state I fall into a very nasty legal hole. I am not covered by the good Samaritan law unless I treat to my level of training.. that would be EMT. the problem is that if you are no longer an EMT and treat to that you are committing a felony of practicing medicine with out a license... ( could result in felony murder charge if the patent dies. { or so a lawyer told me when I asked him. } ) so some would not be willing to do any thing in that line for legal reasons. in short I can be sued and perhaps arrested for doing something.

OP
I

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good Point David!!

BTW: What Fire Dept were you with?
What made you move to Japan?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my dojo, in my karate sensei's dojo, and in my jujutsu sensei's dojo, this is a requirement for all students once they pass about mid way to black belt. Anyone who might have a hand in teaching someone else, needed to have basic knowledge of first aide and CPR.