Martial Art Photography

sjrwheeler

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
i am a student of Martial Arts, but i am also studying for a degree in photography.
i am concentrating on martial arts for my final year project and have already explored many areas i find interesting. I am now planning on photographing how martial arts becomes a part of every day life, starting with the more obvious ideas of habbits picked up such as bowing when entering any random room, and moving into the ideas of how martial arts can help you in situations not usually related, such as using a stance to ballance on a bus.
i already have several interesting ideas, but nowhere near enough to build a project out of it.
if anyone here can offer me any help or suggestions of what parts of martial arts blend over into other areas of your life i would be very grateful.
Cheers,
Sam

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think most of us, if not all of us, integrate MA in our daily life. Stences or principles used at work, at home or anywhere is something very common.
If you think of it, after all MA teaches you how to use your body in a more proficient way and teaches you how to be more accostumed of the way your body moves.

The problem is...I doubt many of us has had pictures taken while doing these things. Actually most of the times I don't even thing we do realize we are using what we have learnt in a dojo.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think most of us, if not all of us, integrate MA in our daily life. Stances or principles used at work, at home or anywhere is something very common.
If you think of it, after all MA teaches you how to use your body in a more proficient way and teaches you how to be more accustomed of the way your body moves.
Indeed, there are ways that we, MA-ists on an unconscious level use the forms, stances, techniques and so on on a daily basis. Or we incorporated it into our other activities. For myself I've dozens upon dozens of photos :)wink2: ) at my site (signature link) and also on a thread created by Flatlander on this forum (http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17605), that show the blend of both of my "arts", martial and caving.

I would suggest perhaps visiting other dojos of varying arts and talking with some of the students of varying ranks/belts and ask them about it then ask if you can visit them on their jobs to photograph them going about their day to day... they don't have to pose for you or anything like that but if you recognize whatever it is they're doing that can be related to their particular art then you got fodder for your photo-essay.

However it turns out... the photographers on this forum (myself included) would love to see the end result of your photo/essay-thesis.
Good luck, keep us posted.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ralph, wonderful pictures. Have you ever been caving in my country, Italy? I know there are beautiful caves there too.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ralph, wonderful pictures. Have you ever been caving in my country, Italy? I know there are beautiful caves there too.
Nope, never been caving in Oklahoma... nor Italia, though I would love to. Perhaps someday.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, NOT sure if this will be helpful?

Judo has save many lives including many Adults too.

Young children running and playing do fall down and get hurt alot...those with Judo training always learn to fall correctly.

We have met two Judo Sensi who mention will working on their roofs (the home)...have fallen off...neither one can remember how they landed...only that the JUDO save their life!

My daughter's Sensi...was ask to teach Judo at elementary school (Private one) for one year....that year and the following years....less kids had injuries and less bullies too!

How does one take pictures like that? .......NOT sure....but something to look into!

Aloha

Latest Discussions