Maori Fighting Arts

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if this is representative of the trench warfare that maori were accustom to when attacking another pa?

Its certainly an interesting idea. Trench fighting would encourage linear movement I think.

I've watched the haka alot actually. It looks like a kata. It makes me wonder if it is a kata of a sort. That would be interesting wouldn't it?

There are similar "dances" from throughout polynesia. The Fijian one is very fierce. I think they are katas which have evolved to have a greater ritual function than practical.

This is the new All Blacks haka. What do you think?

One thing to consider is that the kiwis may be a little pissed from all of the ribbing they take from the aussies about their supposed sheep shagging habits...;)

I like the new Haka, its more like the Fijian one.

Given how badly we are playing rugby at the moment, I think the Kiwis aren't to unhappy about the state of things.

Its interesting that we in Australia have a go at the Kiwis about sheep, because we have about 4 sheep per person, but we never, I repeat never, herd them wearing gumboots.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, its been 11 days since my trip and I'm still mentally processing everything I learned over in NZ. It truly was overwhelming.

I did learn a little more about Mau Rakau though. My wife and I went to a traditional maori performance when we were in Rotorua and afterwards, I had a chance to sit down and speak with many of the maori martial arts practicioners.

Apparently, there are many styles of mau rakau and that they all correspond to the various iwi throughout Aotearoa. The arts are passed on within the warrior families that are part of the iwi. There are many similarities between the styles and the differences are typically marked by emphasis on one or another of the traditional weapons and technical use of said weapons.

This video describes the traditional maori challenge that one would recieve upon entering a marae. This type of challenge is only ceremonially performed nowdays.

BTW - this is one of the many videos that we took on our trip.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good to hear that your trip was a success.

It is interesting that mau rakau has many styles based in families. It is very similar to the situation that used to prevail in China. I say this because there is a strong gentic link between the Maori and China.

It may be coincidence but it still makes you think.

Devon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A preview clip from TOA, a NZ reality TV series based on Maori martial arts:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions