Many feel that AK has many "holes" or un-addressed situations within....

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Mr. Billings
I am not sure about the scissor as the person was sitting on my legs pinning them and reaching with the hands going for my throat when I executed the Delayed Sword variation I described earlier.

Then you are talking about a "Bridge-ing" manuever, correct?
When I refered to the rape scenario, I was referring to having your opponent between your legs. Don't get me wrong it sounds like you are teaching something of value, it just wasn't what I had in mind when asking the question, but thanks for sharing anyway.

The mount is a difficult position to work in. If your opponent has you mounted, you are usually in a very bad situation and depending on how well you bridge and how they set their weight you may not be able to take them over. This is why it would be better to teach a strategy of three or four variations that work from a particular position as opposed to just teaching the one technique. Just having one technique in your arsenal is like getting in a gun fight with a musket. If you can get it to work then great but if you miss then your screwed. You should always have a good back up plan.

Hey Doc, I've seen two different guys on two different occasions do a single leg take down in a bar and they both went off with out a hitch, well at least not until security got involved .:boxing:

D

dcence

Aimed at no one in particular, but I think there is a tendancy for many to confuse techniques used in a competition venue with "street attacks" and assaults.

Hi Doc,

I have been involved in what I consider only a limited number of street altercations. But my wrestling buddy from another high school did just what you seem to think is not a big risk at a party where some guy ticked him off. He did a classic double leg takedown, climbed up the guys back as he tried to squirm away (which is a very natural thing to do especially for trained Kenpoists who find themselves on the ground after they are told not to worry it won't happen) and proceeded to give the guy a repeated concrete facial on the curb.

Considering my 'limited" experience, the law of averages makes this one event significant to me (and that was well before the BJJ craze where many are being taught to do these type of things).

So if anyone wants to say they have NEVER seen it happen and suggests we put this way down on the priority list, I won't argue; I'll just let them tell it to the guy who now knows exactly what the Las Vegas gutters taste like.

Derek

D

dcence

From just the limited posts above it looks like these things happen more often than some people think.

If you are prepared, you shall not fear.

K

kenpo2dabone

Originally posted by MJS
Yes, that is one way to close the distance, but there are others besides the twist.

Absolutely, I never implied that it was. I was merely responding to what Kenpo Yahoo asked and he specifically asked about the twist and the crossover. I did not mention all of the others because they weren't asked about. I use all of the stances and all of the foot maneuvers as needed depending on how a situation unfolds. MY point was that none of them should be discarded as they all have an important place in Kenpo. I will add this. In my experience in Kenpo, if I can't make something work, 90 to 95% of the time, it is because I am doing it wrong, not because the technique or foot maneuver or stance the system in general is flawed. This is what I suggesting to Kenpo Yahoo and offered him a way to check what he was doing.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo2dabone
Absolutely, I never implied that it was. I was merely responding to what Kenpo Yahoo asked and he specifically asked about the twist and the crossover. I did not mention all of the others because they weren't asked about. I use all of the stances and all of the foot maneuvers as needed depending on how a situation unfolds. MY point was that none of them should be discarded as they all have an important place in Kenpo. I will add this. In my experience in Kenpo, if I can't make something work, 90 to 95% of the time, it is because I am doing it wrong, not because the technique or foot maneuver or stance the system in general is flawed. This is what I suggesting to Kenpo Yahoo and offered him a way to check what he was doing.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

:asian: Mike

Latest Discussions