Man tried to hire prostitute for his son, 14

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The sex trade doesn't have to be dirty and criminal. Legalizing it would bring it out of the darkness and make it safer for everyone. That said, considering the current conditions, I would not do the same with my children. It just isn't safe.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I didn't pay for it, my hosts did. I wasn't going to Amsterdam or Rio, I was going to Las Vegas to play poker, and the girls were....well, for lack of a better word, furniture provided as part of the package.

Key word : furniture. Eyes wide open Elder.
lori

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The sex trade doesn't have to be dirty and criminal. Legalizing it would bring it out of the darkness and make it safer for everyone. That said, considering the current conditions, I would not do the same with my children. It just isn't safe.

I believe this to be a misconception, you will always have an underclass of sex workers even if you were to legalise it. Even if you regulated it you will still get street sex workers working outside of these regulations, you will still get abusive partners/pimps, you will still get human trafficking. A fair degree of these sex workers will still be drug addicts and/or women with a history of being abused as a child. The man in the original story was up to paying a pitiful £20, legal or not that would still be the type of sex worker he would have been targeting.

I agree with the notion of making sex working safer by not criminalising the sex workers themselves. Sex workers need to have access to support, counselling, safe houses and sex worker specific addiction treatment. However, I personally feel that the kerb crawlers, the men out there happily turning a blind eye to the misery of the women they are "buying" and the men pimping these women out should recieve much stronger sentences.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe this to be a misconception, you will always have an underclass of sex workers even if you were to legalise it.

True, but as it stands now, the only place where a person can turn to now to pay for sex is to the shadowy illegal side. Making it legal would provide a safer option all around. Yes, there will still be a few turning tricks for drugs, but, in my opinion, there probably would be less. Some problems will never go away...so we just need to be prepared to support.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
True, but as it stands now, the only place where a person can turn to now to pay for sex is to the shadowy illegal side. Making it legal would provide a safer option all around. Yes, there will still be a few turning tricks for drugs, but, in my opinion, there probably would be less. Some problems will never go away...so we just need to be prepared to support.

I will respectably disagree, I believe we may both be coming from a point of care on this issue but my fear is that the legalisation of prostitution will still fail to protect the most vulnerable but at the same time also allow people to consider it acceptable to use sex workers. I personally feel that it would be a shame to allow these men who pay for sex (and our society) to continue to delude themselves and ignore the suffering of the women they are using and abusing. Stronger sentences for the pimps and the men who pay for sex is (in my opinion) a way of changing society's perception of this issue and placing the wellbeing of the sex worker as a priority in each case.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This story was mentioned in JayLeno's monologue last night...he said leave the kid in school, and let the teachers do their job!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a difference between the professional services of a courtesan and unskilled labor provided by werewolf-bait. Always has been. Always will be. I'm more worried about keeping the latter from being raped, robbed, murdered and enslaved than in keeping their professional activities illegal.

When I brought up education in sexuality I was thinking a little more broadly. Not just paying for sex but how to be a good lover including sex-positive instruction in the basics of how to know one's own sexual responses, communicate effectively and take care of a partner's needs, not just in bed but in other parts of the relationship.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a difference between the professional services of a courtesan and unskilled labor provided by werewolf-bait. Always has been. Always will be. I'm more worried about keeping the latter from being raped, robbed, murdered and enslaved than in keeping their professional activities illegal.

When I brought up education in sexuality I was thinking a little more broadly. Not just paying for sex but how to be a good lover including sex-positive instruction in the basics of how to know one's own sexual responses, communicate effectively and take care of a partner's needs, not just in bed but in other parts of the relationship.

From your lips to G-ds ears! Amen!

Latest Discussions