Man accused of scamming people for martial arts lessons charged with grand theft

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good! That he was caught... guys like him (among others) that give legitimate MA Instructors a bad name.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The worse part is that he may have turned some of those people off martial arts forever.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Key point:
The Sheriff's Office started getting complaints in early 2008, shortly after McMahan closed shop and moved out of state. The members said they were still being billed, and that their outstanding balances were sometimes thousands of dollars higher than the prices they agreed to.

The charges weren't any assessment of his martial arts instruction -- just his business practices where he charged people for services never received or agreed to.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The worse part is that he may have turned some of those people off martial arts forever.

I don't know if it'll turn them off the martial arts forever, but it'll certainly open their eyes and I'm sure that they'll be more leary in the future. I think that if a person really wants to study the martial arts they will pick themselves up from a set back like this and keep searching for another school.
The thing that really burns me up is that there will be folks that will sterotype all martial arts schools and instructor as being the same as this individual which is truly sad.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The website.

The mugshot.

The idiot.

Interestingly, no one has ever asked to see my certification. Most folks don't know to ask for credentials.

Latest Discussions