Making Your Own Polymer Pocket Stick

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good article, Phil. Personally, I would choose to try to make a point on the outside end. I've never worked with plastic before...would a file work for that?

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, you could shape this into a point if you wanted to, though I do not know how sharp a point would be advisable if you were worried about it getting rubbed dull over time. It is not visible in the pictures and not relevant to the article, really, but I used a knife to whittle a rough, almost stippled surface on the ends of Kevin's koppo so it would hurt and "bite" a little more in striking.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well Phil. I must admit that I was a bit reticent to read anything else you'd posted after the first of yours I'd read. But -- this one happens to be a topic which came up this very day at class between two of the guys and me. One of them owns a polymer stick which seems to be a variation on the one you give directions to make, except his doesn't have the loop or key rings. His was made for him by someone as well. I must admit that it's a tempting weapon for a woman's use - it's light, flexible, and fits easily into a pocketbook (or glove box) at the shorter length you describe. I hope you don't mind my sharing your directions with them. Interesting stuff. KT

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's the thing about thinking rationally -- you don't have to automatically dismiss everything written by someone with whom you disagree on another matter. ;) By all means, please share the address of the page.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Well Phil. I must admit that I was a bit reticent to read anything else you'd posted after the first of yours I'd read. But -- this one happens to be a topic which came up this very day at class between two of the guys and me. One of them owns a polymer stick which seems to be a variation on the one you give directions to make, except his doesn't have the loop or key rings. His was made for him by someone as well. I must admit that it's a tempting weapon for a woman's use - it's light, flexible, and fits easily into a pocketbook (or glove box) at the shorter length you describe. I hope you don't mind my sharing your directions with them. Interesting stuff. KT

I sometimes disagree with Phil's views on things (particularly political) however Phil has a lot of good things to offer. Great reviews and articles on self protection and combative education.

I do recommend checking out his site and his other articles. You may find it worth your while to subscribe to his E-zine....

:ultracool
PAUL

Latest Discussions