Made my own plastron

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was playing around with the sewing machine over the weekend and thought I would try my hand at a coach's plastron. It came out pretty well, I thought.

Attachments

• $598777_154893341335867_1507015341_n.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 453
OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That looks good work, Daniel :tup:.
Thanks! The sewing machine started bunching up thread at the point that I finished it.

There were a few things that I learned: that fabric has some kind of synthetic material in the quilting to give it its weight, which means that if you iron it, you loose the depth of the quilting. I used iron on hem edging which I then sewed into place, but in the course of ironing, the quilting along the edges was really flattened out. I also learned that if I can get my hands on material that will pass a punch test, I can make this sort of thing on my own instead of buying from Tripplette. I'm not sure I want to tackle a jacket or knickers, though.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very well done!

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like it. What did you use?
I used a quilted fabric that I purchased at Joann's Fabrics. I believe that it is probably for quilting, but I liked the look of it and it has just enough heft that over the jacket, it softens the blows a little. I used a white cotton backing with a weave similar to what you'd find on a fencing jacket, but not as thick. I doubt that it would pass a punch test.