made in usa... or at least not china

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for a gift to send my father-in-law who lives in China. I'm hoping to send him something that he'd like, that is not made in his backyard.

Went to look for a sweater for him, but every design or look that he might like was made in china.

So far I was thinking to send him some cigars, but what else would be a nice gift that is made in a country other than china?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If he drinks, you could try wine or spirits that are from the U.S. I see you are in Yonkers, you may even be able to find a nice wine from a NY state vineyard.

The rules for sending food from one country to another can get very messy, but if at all possible you could send some European chocolates or a gift basket of American treats (there are companies that sell the baskets already assembled).

This is not really a "guy thing", but if he likes candles, there may be something from Yankee Candle that is of interest. I bring this up because evergreen candles are a favorite of my brother-in-law :)

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/ycbvp/category.jsp?category=/Retail/Candles

I don't know much about your relationship with him. If its reasonably good, you may want to consider this. In my experience, in-laws are much like parents. They don't mind "things", and they will adore that you thought of them and put the time in to choosing a gift. However, most of them value personal things more....such as pictures of you and your wife, maybe a letter talking about the fun things you've done together, or times she has recounted his wisdom as you go through life together.

How about a book? If you go to a book store, I bet you could find a few coffee-table books with beautiful photos of New York or America. Most of these books are heavy on photos and light on text. If he doesn't speak English, he can still enjoy it...although...I bet he would enjoy it even more if you and your wife (or a friend that speaks his language) could add a few notes describing the scenery, or even a personal note if there are pictures of something that is important to you, even if it is somehting is simple is as "Do you see that building with the sign that says Sycamore? That is where I work".

Hopefully some other folks will have some good ideas too :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Candy, mainly Chocolate

My wife has run into the same issue taking gifts back to China and so far the only one that is pretty much made in the US is the Chocolate but I am not sure how well that would survive the trip by mail.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Candy, mainly Chocolate

My wife has run into the same issue taking gifts back to China and so far the only one that is pretty much made in the US is the Chocolate but I am not sure how well that would survive the trip by mail.

Chocolate does OK as long as temps do not get too high. I think the temperatures now are still on the cooler side. One could send something like Lindt truffles that are already soft to begin with. :D

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Candy, mainly Chocolate

Dry ice?? Maybe.
icon7.gif

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh to be a fly on the wall....

"Wow, honey, they sent us an...American!" :lfao:

I'd jump out singing "Born in the USA!" and waving a US flag around. Then I'd tour the country, insisting everyone speak English, trying to spend US dollars, comparing everything in China to something obviously better made in the USA. Like the Great Wall; I'd compare that to the Alamo. No contest; clearly the Alamo is bigger, stronger, and altogether more cool. I mean, Ozzie Ozbourne peed on the Alamo; he never did that to the Great Wall. Clearly, Ozzie has taste when it comes to awarding his yellow streams of favor.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[/u][/b]
Dry ice?? Maybe.
icon7.gif

Danger, Will Robinson. ;)

I learned some pretty bizarre things from my survival job in the bomb detection busines. This was one. Federal Law classifies Dry Ice as HazMat. Sometimes.

In other words, if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you could end up with ton of legal trouble.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a challenge I face when I go back home to Kenya every couple of years. Try something Amish. The Amish make fairly good curios, with their hands and antiquated tools.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is a challenge I face when I go back home to Kenya every couple of years. Try something Amish. The Amish make fairly good curios, with their hands and antiquated tools.

EUREKA!!! THAT"S IT!!!! Send them a HeatSurge :D

OK all kidding aside, that is a good idea, but do the Amish make and sell anything other than furniture? Shipping could get expensive to China.

OP
wushuguy

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas!

So we're going with sending them some candies and american ginseng, and some nice cigars to give them different flavor than what they're used to in China.

Latest Discussions